How can you communicate if 100%deaf

Im glad you feel like your better than the rest of us. This is a website for information, right? If you two want to sit back and judge do it on your own. Stop making others feel like they can't participate in this group. You are a bunch of cowards!!! I wanted information that I thought someone could provide me without judgement. But, the almighty web Gods won't let that happen!! Just because you have been deaf longer then I, doesn't make you a better person!!!

Actually, this is a website for socializing, and you are getting off to a poor start.

Im glad you feel like your better than the rest of us. This is a website for information, right?
No you think of Wikipedia.
If you two want to sit back and judge do it on your own. Stop making others feel like they can't participate in this group. You are a bunch of cowards!!! I wanted information that I thought someone could provide me without judgement.
Then you never look around here before you post! Lol.
But, the almighty web Gods won't let that happen!! Just because you have been deaf longer then I, doesn't make you a better person!!!
Nobody said it did. :dunno:

Im glad you feel like your better than the rest of us. This is a website for information, right? If you two want to sit back and judge do it on your own. Stop making others feel like they can't participate in this group. You are a bunch of cowards!!! I wanted information that I thought someone could provide me without judgement. But, the almighty web Gods won't let that happen!! Just because you have been deaf longer then I, doesn't make you a better person!!!

I offered you help. I posted the link. I am not jumping on your back. When someone is new, they need to take time to learn the way things flow. Relax.

You have got to have tough skin to make discussion with us, Deafies and HOH. We think differently what you thought what deaf and hard of hearing people behave in the hearing world. We had suffered a lot of hardship with the hearing society and wanted us to be like the hearing people to have normal hearing. :nono: They put us in the mainstream schools instead of Deaf schools where we can sign ASL. We had tried to tell many times for many years to explain to hearing people that we want to sign ASL all the time and be comfortable with deaf people and hard of hearing people, but the hearing people refused to listen to us and wanted us separate from the Deaf communities. That was brutal and cruel of them to do that to us.

See Bold...So you think we are better than you if you are glad about it. It is the other way around that hearing people are better than deaf people and think they know all about deafness and that we should be easy to hear better with hearing aids and CIs. Again as I have already explained that your normal hearing before you become late deafened are very much different than our deaf or hard of hearing. We will never have normal hearing and that is something we have to make adjustment and try to get use to it.

By the way, we are very blunt to many hearing people who come here and wanted to ask questions that would shock us knowing that the hearing people are sooooo naive and not know nothing about our deaf perspectives. If you want to leave, be my guest. If you decide to stay and learn something about our deaf perspectives and give you feedback or answer the questions in the right way to know about us. Then you are on the right forum here. :cool2:

OK I give up. I apologies for the quick defensive answers. Very frustrating to hear perfect one day and 100% deaf the next with no explanations. I really just want help. So I hope you can forgive me and I'll try to post were I'm supposed to in the future. Again, I'm sorry!!!! It's only been 6 months so I'm really trying hard to learn the ins and outs.

OK I give up. I apologies for the quick defensive answers. Very frustrating to hear perfect one day and 100% deaf the next with no explanations. I really just want help. So I hope you can forgive me and I'll try to post were I'm supposed to in the future. Again, I'm sorry!!!! It's only been 6 months so I'm really trying hard to learn the ins and outs.

I know it is not easy for you to understand why you happen to be deaf after so many years of hearing perfect. That is why I thought maybe you still find the courage to understand your deafness and how to cope with it. You are never sorry for what you said but that is our blunt way to tell you the fact that you can not expect to have a normal hearing like CIs.

Maybe you can become a candidate for Cochlear Implant if you decide to have one. Having an Cochlear Implant is not that easy especially under the knife (surgery). Also the surgery really cost wallop of dollars and you might try getting some kind of health insurance to cover the cost of CI. On top of that, you have to buy expensive equipment to go with your Cochlear Implant including the expensive batteries. That is why we think that the Cochlear Implant companies are trying to sell to the hospital and to the unaware parents of deaf babies and children. We as a Deaf Communities are pretty upset with this attitude from the CI companies. So go research and see what you can find a way for you to hear some sounds in the hearing aids or CIs. Glad that you are back. Sorry for us being so blunt with you but we have been trying that for many years explaining to the hearing people and many of us, Deafies and Hard of Hearing, are shocked when you asked the question like that. :shock:

Interesting reading the above. Being Bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006-I requested a review at Sunnybrook/Toronto re Cochlear Implant. Fortunately, met the criteria and operated on July 12, 2007.

Consider if you fit the criteria for a Cochlear Implant As I live in Ontario OHIP covered the entire cost-$55,000.00 CND( Hospital care/surgeon fees/ mapping and visits to the audi) Other states/countries-no idea.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:

I'm a late-deafened adult (been wearing hearing aids for 30-plus years now), and while I think I know what caused my hearing loss, at this point it really doesn't matter. It is what it is. Without my hearing aids, I can hear certain things, like my dogs barking (one is easier to hear than the other), drawers closing, a few other things, but no speech.

I understand your frustration. It is VERY hard at first, especially in an experience like you described, where your loss happened overnight.

I'm assuming you have seen an ENT. Was that person any help at all? Have you seen an audiologist?

As for me, how I communicate: technology rules! I use hearing aids, closed captions on TV, amplified telephones were helpful for a while (although now I don't use the phone at all). I'm going to look into using a Captel system, however, so that might change. But as for hearing on the phone, forget it.

I use e-mail and Facebook to stay in touch with friends.

Have you looked into cochlear implants at all? It's a big decision, understandably. It seems that late-deafened adults are often excellent candidates for it, since people who are used to hearing have less of an adjustment to make in terms of making sense of sounds than do people who have never heard anything, ever.

I'm not at all pushing it (don't have them myself), but it might be a realistic option for you.

If you have health insurance, the irony is that most insurance plans will pay for nearly the complete cost of CIs, while hearing aids - which can be very expensive - typically are not covered, or maybe you get a few hundred dollars or so. My aids cost about $6,000 for the pair, and my insurance didn't cover any of that. I now have a different plan, and they would pay $500 every 5 years, something like that. Wow, big help, eh?

Anyway, see what your insurance plan covers. You might be surprised that you wouldn't have to pay much for the surgery, if you have a decent plan.

There would be ongoing costs for batteries and perhaps repairs from time to time, of course.

Anyway - please don't be discouraged. This can be a tough bunch here, and there are a range of opinions and life experiences. You are not alone in feeling frustrated and confused; I hope in real life you can find some local support groups, too.

Beach Girl -Thankyou for your kind words and patients. It was a severe trauma that caused my hearing loss and thats why I was asking questions. They may sound silly to someone who has been dealing with this for many years. I went from perfect hearing to 100% deaf in less then 24 hrs. So thanks again and I'll give it another go because there are nice people hear.

Glad the misunderstooding was solved. Your post at this thread sounded like someone who is hearing and was asking an annoying question. Now you have explained your situation.

I know you will explore all the options - from Cochlear implant(s) to learning ASL. Good luck and welcome to AllDeaf.

Botti and Sunny, you are NOT mean-spirited:) here's a sock monkey for you, Botti <in spirit- and maybe someday if we meet you I can give you an actual one, my friend.....Sunshine, here's a :hug: for you!>

Angle, am sorry to read how upset you are:hug:
there is a different culture overall on this forum which makes it what it is, take some time if you can to read over various parts and try and see different perspectives-

Botti and Sunny, you are NOT mean-spirited:) here's a sock monkey for you, Botti <in spirit- and maybe someday if we meet you I can give you an actual one, my friend.....Sunshine, here's a :hug: for you!>

Thank you dogmom. I will cherish my virtual sock monkey.

Back