Homophobia issue

What bothers me is how "conservative Christians" claim to follow Jesus Christ, yet He said "Judge not, lest ye be judged." I am proud to be Catholic. We don't discriminate against anyone or judge--that's up to God. (Oh, and Catholics are Christian, for the record.)

yes I agree that hate crime is hurtful, I read this..

Anti-gay clash
outside B'klyn bar

A gang of toughs hurled anti-gay slurs at a man outside a Brooklyn bar early Monday, setting off a violent confrontation that left the victim with head wounds, police said.
Alister Harper, 40, of Hollis, Queens, said the incident occurred outside The Lab in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

"They just wanted to beat up a gay guy," he said yesterday. "I was afraid they were going to do something to me."

Because he felt threatened, Harper threw a garbage can at the group of five or six men. One man then struck Harper with a metal folding chair and all fled, police said.

But when rescue workers and police arrived, Harper got into a dispute with them. He was charged with disorderly conduct, cops said.

Harper, who said he is a street vendor and disabled veteran, was taken to Woodhull Hospital, where 11 staples were used to close his cuts.

Police are investigating the incident as a possible bias crime.

Carrie Melago

Originally published on August 31, 2005

FreedummyRing said:
I read many news about gay people get beat up everyday...
Hate crimes are rising.

This is true, and negative atitudes on BOTH SIDES isn't helping to decrease the incidences of hate crimes in our country. This is the point I'm trying to get acrossed.

Hate, no matter where it originates from, is destructive.

FreedummyRing said:
yes I agree that hate crime is hurtful, I read this..

Anti-gay clash
outside B'klyn bar

A gang of toughs hurled anti-gay slurs at a man outside a Brooklyn bar early Monday, setting off a violent confrontation that left the victim with head wounds, police said.
Alister Harper, 40, of Hollis, Queens, said the incident occurred outside The Lab in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

"They just wanted to beat up a gay guy," he said yesterday. "I was afraid they were going to do something to me."

Because he felt threatened, Harper threw a garbage can at the group of five or six men. One man then struck Harper with a metal folding chair and all fled, police said.

But when rescue workers and police arrived, Harper got into a dispute with them. He was charged with disorderly conduct, cops said.

Harper, who said he is a street vendor and disabled veteran, was taken to Woodhull Hospital, where 11 staples were used to close his cuts.

Police are investigating the incident as a possible bias crime.

Carrie Melago

Originally published on August 31, 2005

Yea, Hardly to said that assault is pretty higher in NYC than LA does.

I haven't heard about hate crime.

Most hate group that against on homosexual are common in Southeast USA, such as Texas and some part in Midwest.

TrippLA said:
Most hate group that against on homosexual are common in Southeast USA, such as Texas and some part in Midwest.
There are a LOT of gay-haters in Wisconsin. It makes me sick... :barf:

Why can't we all just get along? :dunno:

gnulinuxman said:

Yea, I was just stated about some part in Midwest but several gay-haters in Southern California, such as in some part of OC and east suburb of San Diego. I disliked to relocate in Lancaster-Palmdale area and rest of Inland Empire, such as San Bernardino-Riverside County but Inland Empire is pretty good, alot of gay friendly (such as in San Bernardino) and alot of new single houses and apartments, it's known as alot of sprawl. Also, that place has alot of biker gangs that run on around place, just like LA does.

When I had went in OC, in neighborhood that where alot of white conservative families. I was wear "Liberal" t-shirt and walk around at mall, then one conservative guy was disgusting at me, I just asked for fighting then police are run to find us then I was told to police that I'm deaf and one man don't respect my personal rights then police kick him out from mall and they treat me fairly. :) He was scared that deaf people are smart enough. It take time to change in demographic that where alot of liberal families (such as middle-upper class Latino, Asians and white as Jewish, Persian and immigrant from Europe, mostly in East Europe, in former Soviet Union area) and increase more diverse.

Matthew Shepard, a gay student, was attacked by two guys

Matthew Wayne Shepard (December 1, 1976 – October 12, 1998) was an American student at the University of Wyoming, who was attacked by Russell Henderson and Aaron McKinney near Laramie, Wyoming on the night of 6 – October 7, 1998. He died from his injuries at Poudre Valley Hospital on October 12. The convicted perpetrators are currently serving life sentences in prison.

The case is often considered a hate crime by those who believe that Matthew Shepard was targeted on the basis of his sexual orientation. However, under current federal United States law and Wyoming state law, crimes committed on the basis of sexual orientation are not prosecutable as hate crimes.

Shortly after the murder, President Bill Clinton tried to push legislation through Congress adding sexual orientation to the hate crimes law. The measure was defeated.

In 1999, the Wyoming Legislature, amid widespread discussion of this crime, also attempted to pass legislation defining certain attacks motivated by victim identity as hate crimes, but the measure failed on a 30-30 tie in the Wyoming House of Representatives.

Background:
Shepard, son of Dennis Shepard and Judy Peck Shepard, was born in Casper, Wyoming. He attended Crest Hill Elementary School, Dean Morgan Junior High, and the first two years of high school at Natrona County High School, and was a member of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. Shepard spent his junior and senior years of high school at The American School In Switzerland, graduating in 1995. Shepard later attended Catawba College and Casper College before moving to Denver. Shepard then became a first-year political science major at the University of Wyoming in Laramie. His parents lived in Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia where his father worked for the Aramco oil company.

The attack:
Shortly after midnight on October 7, 1998, 21-year-old Shepard met McKinney and Henderson in a bar. According to McKinney, Shepard asked them for a ride home. Subsequently, Shepard was robbed, severely beaten, tied to a fence and left to die. McKinney and Henderson also found out his address, intending to burgle his home. Shepard was discovered by a bicyclist 18 hours later, still alive but unconscious.

Shepard suffered a fracture from the back of his head to the front of his right ear. He also had severe brain stem damage, which affected his body's ability to regulate heart rate, body temperature and other vital signs. There were also about a dozen small lacerations around his head, face and neck. His injuries were deemed too severe for doctors to operate. Shepard never regained consciousness and remained on full life support. He was pronounced dead at 12:53 a.m. on October 12 at Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, Colorado. Police arrested McKinney and Henderson shortly thereafter, finding the bloody gun as well as the victim's shoes and wallet in their truck. The two murderers had attempted to get their girlfriends to provide alibis.

After the attack, the prosecutor told reporters that Shepard's friends had been vocal about Shepard's sexuality: "They were calling the County Attorney's office, they were calling the media and indicating Matthew Shepard is gay and we don't want the fact that he is gay to go unnoticed." Matthew Shepard's blood was tested later for HIV. The result was positive although Shepard may have been unaware of his HIV status while alive. [8]

The trial:
During court cases both of the defendants used varying stories to defend their actions. Most notably they attempted to use the "gay panic defense", arguing that they were driven to temporary insanity by Shepard's alleged sexual advances toward them. At another point they stated that they had only wanted to rob Shepard and never intended to kill him.

The prosecutor in the case charged that McKinney and Henderson pretended to be homosexuals in order to gain Matthew's trust to rob him. During the trial, Chastity Pasley and Kristen Price (the pair's then-girlfriends) testified under oath that Henderson and McKinney both plotted beforehand to rob a gay man. McKinney and Henderson then went to the Fireside Lounge, a gay hangout, and selected Shepard as their target. After befriending him, they took him to a remote area of Laramie where they robbed him, beat him severely (media reports often contained the graphic account of the pistol whipping and his smashed skull) and tied him to a fence with his own shoe laces. Both girlfriends also testified that neither McKinney nor Henderson were on drugs at the time.

Several years after the guilty verdict, Price gave her third different account of the night (the first time she provided her boyfriend with an alibi until learning that Matthew had died and that she could be charged as an accessory to murder; the second time she said Matthew was selected because he was gay). She said the motive for the attack was solely related to drugs and money. She added, "I don't think it was a hate crime at all. I never did."

McKinney's and Henderson's first account was they were not guilty and had been with their girlfriends at the time of the crime. After the girlfriends retracted their alibis, they both attempted to use a gay panic defense, testifying that they attacked Shepard because he made flirtatious advances towards them. Later, they gave a third different story in a 20/20 interview with Elizabeth Vargas and said that the murder was actually a result of heavy drug use, a robbery and a beating gone awry.

Henderson pleaded guilty on April 5, 1999 and agreed to testify against McKinney to avoid the death penalty; he received two consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. The jury in McKinney's trial found him guilty of 2 counts of felony murder. As it began to deliberate on the death penalty, Shepard's parents brokered a deal, resulting in McKinney also receiving two consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole. Shepard's parents stated, "We are giving him life in the memory of one who no longer lives."

Local Roman Catholic clerics had garnered considerable publicity when they opposed the death penalty in the case. However, Shepard's father, Dennis Shepard -- who did not ask for the death penalty -- said in his statement to the court, "I am definitely not doing this because of the crass and unwarranted pressures put on by the religious community. If anything, that hardens my resolve to see you die, Mr. McKinney."

Henderson and McKinney are currently incarcerated in the Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins, Wyoming.

After the attack:
As Shepard lay in intensive care, candle-light vigils were held in support around the world. The public reaction and media attention focused on Shepard's sexuality.

The homophobic Fred Phelps and his supporters picketed Shepard's funeral as well as the trial of his assailants. They displayed signs typical of their protests, with slogans such as "Matt Shepard rots in Hell", "AIDS Kills Fags Dead" and "God Hates Fags". Phelps later made attempts to gain city permits in Cheyenne and Casper, Wyoming to build a monument "of marble or granite 5 or 6 feet in height" on which will be a bronze plaque bearing Shepard's picture and the words: "MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

As a counterprotest during Henderson's trial, Romaine Patterson, a friend of Shepard's, organized a group of individuals who assembled in a circle around the Phelps group wearing white robes and gigantic wings that literally blocked the protesters (who were confined to a small protest square by police) from the view of passers-by. While the organization had no name in the initial demonstration, it has since been ascribed various titles, including 'Angels of Peace' and 'Angel Action'.

A similar angel tactic has been re-used a number of times at other protests by Phelps, but less effectively as the "Angels" are now required to stay in their own separate protest square.

The Shepard case prompted President Bill Clinton to renew attempts to extend federal hate crime legislation to include gay and lesbian individuals, women and people with disabilities. These efforts were rejected by the majority in the House of Representatives in 1999. In 2000, both houses of Congress passed such legislation, but it was stripped out in conference committee.

People in the entertainment industry expressed their own outrage and responded in various ways to the attack.

Actress Ellen DeGeneres hosted Shepard's memorial services in Washington, D.C.

Three films were made about the story of Shepard: The Laramie Project (based on the play of the same name), The Matthew Shepard Story and Anatomy of a Hate Crime. The Laramie Project and The Matthew Shepard Story both won numerous awards. Matthew Shepard can also be seen in the documentary Dear Jesse in a brief interview.

Human rights activist and singer Melissa Etheridge wrote the song "Scarecrow" in tribute to Shepard, referring to his initially being mistaken for a scarecrow when he was found.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote the song "American Triangle" as a tribute to Shepard. It was featured on John's 2001 album, Songs from the West Coast.

In 2001, American singer Randi Driscoll released the single, What Matters, in memory of Shepard. Proceeds go to anti-hate crime charities.
The post-hardcore band Thursday also wrote a song named "M. Shepard" about the incident.

The indie political band Protest The Hero wrote a song entitled "Fear and Loathing in Laramie".

Metalcore band This Ship Will Sink wrote a song entitled "Dear Matthew".
Queercore punk band Best Revenge wrote and recorded a song named "Sacrifice" ("I won't be the one that you leave tied to the fence / I won't be a headline on your page of news events.") Coretta Scott King, widow of Dr. Martin Luther King, wrote to Judy Shepard expressing her sympathy and expressing her belief that civil rights include gay and lesbian rights.

In November of 2004, the killers were interviewed on 20/20 on ABC News, explaining that the murder was not fueled by an anti-gay motivation but by a methamphetamine-induced rage. Both had mentioned this earlier to their lawyers after it had happened, but their attorneys at the time decided to go with the unsuccessful "gay-baiting" defense. ABC was criticized by gay rights advocates for the piece but the network stood by their story.

The fence to which Shepard was tied and left to die has been removed by the land owner.

Matthew's parents Judy and Dennis are now active supporters of gay rights and tolerance educators.

I'm feel sad about them but Fred Phelps is fucking idiot and very rude to protest on around funeral :mad:, but I wish that he need get arrest for violate civil rights, and can't wait until he die because of age then I will laughing for long time. Yea, I wish that MLK is alive in future, stupid white man shot at him in late 60's but he's almost runs for first black president, or not sure. :)

Gay and lesbian people need to be careful and keep private when attends college or high school with bunch of conservative people. They can be open the closet when they are in LA area, SF area or other many cities that feature safe place for them to visit and live.

Thanks for posting... :)

Arrests in anti-gay St. Maarten attack Wed Jun 14, 8:57 AM ET

PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - The main suspect in the attack on two gay American tourists that left the victims with serious head injuries has turned himself in to authorities in St. Maarten, the chief prosecutor said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The man — identified only by his nickname, "Duracell" — has turned himself in, becoming the fourth person detained for the beatings in St. Maarten, the Caribbean island's Dutch side. He is accused of striking the victims with a tire iron, chief prosecutor Taco Stein said Tuesday.

The man and three other suspects, including one woman, had been living in St. Martin, the Caribbean island's French side. Stein declined to identify them, saying Dutch policy was not to give the names of suspects until they go to trial.

Authorities believe they have arrested all the people involved in the April 6 attack on Richard Jefferson and Ryan Smith, both of whom work for CBS News in New York.

The men were assaulted after they left a popular nightspot in St. Maarten with friends. They were airlifted to Miami for treatment.

The island is a popular Caribbean destination for tourists.

DoofusMama said:
AHHHHHHHH i hate to see his looks but love his acting..

his nasty looks .. (shudders).. look at his nose.. looks like crooked dick..

:(

I drank my pop pepsi and almost split it out in my mouth cause you make me laughed!!!!!!! cause you said " looks like crooked dick" :lol: :rofl:

gnulinuxman said:

Yeah, dude, I have never understood why some people spend all their enegy and time into hating people who are different from them.

What purpose does it serve? Really?

The world would be a much nicer place if people would just accept each other (you dont have to like them. just accept that they are different from you and worry about yourself).

/damn, now I am starting to sound like a hippie. :)

Heath said:
No, Guido you have the wrong idea. Some people do give into homosexuality. The difference is I don't and I personally find it digusting. I have been around so many different kinds of people that nothing hardly fazes me anymore. People will always misunderstand me because I am misunderstood all the time, even when I make myself clear then people are still blind, one ear out the another and talking to the wall, Hello? Hello ? Don't be so quick to judge another Christian because of what another person supposedly professed himself or herself a Christian. I have seen many different digusting things much more sick and ugly than homosexuality in real life so that is nothing compared to what I have seen.

Look, it's quite simple. If you're a Christian, than this is already obvious, but if you're not then you'd be interested to know.

Yes, homosexuality has been around for a long time. So has lying and murder and many other sinful things. But God loves us regardless of what we do in our life times, period. :cheers: But it doesn't mean he approves of everything we do - we will be held accountable for our deeds - every last one of them.

Think said:
An every-day analogy would be your child :angel: . If the child steals, then you discipline the child for that deed, but does that mean you hate your child?

Because homosexuality can contain love between two humans :afro: , people wonder why its so wrong, "it doesn't hurt anyone". But then someone could lie to someone out of love and also wouldn't see that it doesn't make it right. To some, it would be good news that God only despises the actual sin (such as homosexual acts) not the actual person. You'll always find that when God says in the bible 'despise' :mad: or 'hate' :mad: or whatever translation you have, it refers to the act, not the person.

I respect Heath for standing his ground. And I respect those people who are standing up for the minority. But ultimately we all will be held accountable for our choices :deal: , and according to God homosexuality doesn't come naturally - therefore it is a choice and people will be held accountable.

Heath, you're aware that the bible says the only way in to God's grace is through Jesus. In God's eyes we're no more righteous :angel: than anyone else. So instead of feeling disgusted, maybe we should just feel sad for those who just don't realise and pray that they will find God's grace.

Heath said:
Tripp LA, I was born in Texas and now live in Pennsylvania. I do have some friends who are gay or lesbian and in some cases are, unfortunately shemales. They very well know my position on this issue. I am following what God said about the issue of homosexuality which is controversial only to those who are homosexual themselves in whatever shape or form and for those who support homosexuality. This is not controversial to Christians, yes it is sick and very upsetting, and very contrary to the basic human instinct that God handwired in all of us. These laws supporting homosexuality will soon be ushered in with the rise of the Anti-Christ who will also be a homosexual himself and have no interest in women. This is not only about physical contact between two men or two women of the same sex but also it has to do with very serious spiritual conquensces too.
Let us not forget the section of the bible that states "thou shall not judge least ye be judged"

Heath said:
Being a homosexual is like playing Russian Routelle with one bullet in a revolver pistol. Very suicidial behavior, actually to be a homosexual. God said it is illegal plus very high risk behavior.

You state God said . . . May I ask when you had this conversation with him?

Why do these people keep coming into our forum preaching their notions and ideas? We don't go into theirs trying to turn anyone, so why do they keep coming here? God made me and I am what I am. Is this person trying to say God didn't know what he was doing when he created me?
:angel:

Seattle.guy said:
Matthew Wayne Shepard (December 1, 1976 – October 12, 1998) was an American student at the University of Wyoming, who was attacked by Russell Henderson and Aaron McKinney near Laramie, Wyoming on the night of 6 – October 7, 1998. He died from his injuries at Poudre Valley Hospital on October 12. The convicted perpetrators are currently serving life sentences in prison . . . The fence to which Shepard was tied and left to die has been removed by the land owner.

Matthew's parents Judy and Dennis are now active supporters of gay rights and tolerance educators.

I saw the movie on HBO and the live program afterward a few years ago. To watch a movie like that, I have never, in my entire life, cried so hard as I did that night. I didn't know it was on television that night or even at all, so I just turned to it after getting home from work and kept watching. I caught the movie at the beginning so I knew the full story.

What's funny about it is that the killers actually are the ones that propositioned Matt Shepherd, not the other way around. A few years ago, they were both on, I think, PrimeTime Live, and they talked about the incident/murder and what it actually was about. Sorry, but I believe they only talked to the media because they were being given a lot of harrassment in prison.

I wrote an email to the Phelps gang once and, if you ever do, they are very upfront and will tell you not to bother if you are "harrassing" them. I just asked a couple of questions and the one Phelps that wrote me back, I perceived, a very bad attitude. No wonder on one attends their church, only family members attend there.

On another note, in the fall of 2002, the Phelps gang was in Fargo, ND protesting the Colorado v. NDSU Bisons gang. I came just to see them and brought my Bible along. The son, I think his name was Mark (a reporter told me his name), and I went at it after he was spewing hatred AND taking Scripture out of context. I was interviewed and had every ear and camera of the news media. A friend was a photographer for the student newspaper across the river at our university, Minnesota State University-Moorhead, and he told me later at the campus, "Good job, Pete!"

I do not and will not tolerate name calling!!

Back