Home Security Systems

We had a cat that used to jump up and open our front door. It was the lever style handle. Drove my father mad because it never shut it after it self.

They seem like good ideas but I'm still concerned about the lag time between a break in and when I might read the email, and then contact the police. Sometimes I don't read my emails for hours because I'm either doing something or in a location where it's not possible. That would be too late then to catch the thieves.

You will have a couple of picture of the person who broke in.

Motion detect camera will keep sending pictures to you as long it detecting motion in the area so during a break in you will probably get like 25-30 emails which is hard to miss.

Most of the time it almost always someone you are familiar with in your neighbor area like maybe your next door neighbor's teenager kids etc.

If you search on the internet you will find that high percentage of break in occur by someone who lives near them because they know what valuable is in their home and the home weak points to break into.

Also if the camera is placed that is obvious to anyone looking at your home but out of reach place, burglar seeing the camera will pass over your home and try to find a easier target to break in.

So it not about trying to get the police there on time, it about having a good clear picture that can be offer to the police as an evidence and police have a face recognition program so if the person have a history it will be quickly picked out by the computer after police feed your picture into it.

So yes it worth having a motion detected camera a good quality one and not worry about getting the police there in time as long picture quality is excellent they will find the person in no time with today technology.

We had a cat that used to jump up and open our front door. It was the lever style handle. Drove my father mad because it never shut it after it self.

Our huskies did same thing. Pretty annoying when flies came inside ugh. Sometime doors shutted itself. Sometime not.

You will have a couple of picture of the person who broke in.

Motion detect camera will keep sending pictures to you as long it detecting motion in the area so during a break in you will probably get like 25-30 emails which is hard to miss.
Like I said, it could be two or three hours after the fact, so the bad guys will be long gone.

Most of the time it almost always someone you are familiar with in your neighbor area like maybe your next door neighbor's teenager kids etc.

If you search on the internet you will find that high percentage of break in occur by someone who lives near them because they know what valuable is in their home and the home weak points to break into.

Also if the camera is placed that is obvious to anyone looking at your home but out of reach place, burglar seeing the camera will pass over your home and try to find a easier target to break in.
That would be great--just pass on by. :)

So it not about trying to get the police there on time,
Unless you want to prevent injury, damage, and theft.

it about having a good clear picture that can be offer to the police as an evidence and police have a face recognition program so if the person have a history it will be quickly picked out by the computer after police feed your picture into it.
Yes, that's a problem, especially with juvenile offenders. No one has a record to compare and identify.

So yes it worth having a motion detected camera a good quality one and not worry about getting the police there in time as long picture quality is excellent they will find the person in no time with today technology.
Catching the crooks after the fact is good but not the best solution. It doesn't always get back your stuff, and the feeling of violation is still there. :(

jg1876--are you still with us at AD?

Yeah a secret passage would be cool. I'm sure there's companies who do stuff like this for homes.
My Hubby can do the construction but we haven't figured out a place to put it. We don't have a basement or voids in our house.

Have you tried some of the fairly cheap alternatives? You can probably make your home look impregnable by some deterrents, build up on all of them. Maybe it might attract the hardcore criminal though...
- Cacti and/or thorny bushes under your windows :naughty:
That's not going to fit design of my house or yard. :)

We do have a sharp holly bush in front of the garage window.

When we lived in Pensacola Navy housing we had a thorny Pyracantha bush in front of one of our windows, as did all the housing units. The housing authority removed them all because of hazard liability.

- Alarm company sign
Good idea.

- Wind chimes on the front/back doors
On the doors? Or near the doors? I don't understand how that would work.

- Door lock on backyard is visibly showing that it is locked (eg silver latch on brown, black latch on white)
Can you give an example? I understand about the high contrast but I don't understand how that would indicated whether or not the door is locked.

I hope that no intruder would be in my back yard because we keep the privacy fence gate locked except when we're moving the trailer in or out. However, I did have a guy scale my fence once. He was on drugs and shirtless. I was sitting at my kitchen table in front of the slider door when I saw him looking in. I got up, shouted, "What are doing?" and then ran out my front door. I found some other neighbors standing in the street, and they told me who it was and what happened. The police came and apprehended the guy.

- Picket fence around lawn
We aren't allowed to fence in our front yards. We have a solid wood privacy fence in the back yard.

- "Prison bars" on window (maybe something not black, so it doesn't look so bad)
This is the suggestion that I questioned as "seriously?" Even if they were allowed in our neighborhood (they are not), I don't want to live in a prison.

There are more that can be covered, can't remember them all off the top of my head.
One thing we have is good nighttime outside lighting. The street light is on the corner of our lot, so most of the front yard is lit up. We have a flood light on our Flag all night, which also lights up the front porch. We have motion detector lights at the front door, back deck, garage door (each side), and both sides of the house.

Lighting is very good. I think the problems with bars on the windows and prickly bushes blocking the windows is in most houses the windows are also escape points in case of fire.

On the doors? Or near the doors? I don't understand how that would work.
Wind chimes on the door inside like the ones in some small stores to let the owner or clerk know that someone is just walking in.

My Hubby can do the construction but we haven't figured out a place to put it. We don't have a basement or voids in our house.

Yours is a two story, right? What about the space under the stairs?

I found some other neighbors standing in the street, and they told me who it was and what happened. The police came and apprehended the guy.

who was he?

Wind chimes on the door inside like the ones in some small stores to let the owner or clerk know that someone is just walking in.
Oh, now I know what you mean. Those aren't wind chimes. Those are either bells activated by the door's motion, or electronic chimes activated by buttons from the door's opening. Some stores use motion sensors at the doorway but not on the door itself.

Oh, now I know what you mean. Those aren't wind chimes. Those are either bells activated by the door's motion, or electronic chimes activated by buttons from the door's opening. Some stores use motion sensors at the doorway but not on the door itself.

or sensor under floor mat.

Yours is a two story, right? What about the space under the stairs?
That's my laundry room (closet size) and furnace space. There's a little low space left under the stairs but only about waist high. We did make an access there but it's very awkward to use. It's big enough to store a couple large water bottles.

who was he?
He was the Marine boyfriend of the daughter across the street. He had come from the base club to her house, acting crazy. He ran from their house, jumped my fence, then jumped another neighbor's fence, into an open area.

We found out later that someone had spiked his drink. He wasn't the only victim. One of the bar staff was wacko.

After the effects wore off, he was OK.

He was the Marine boyfriend of the daughter across the street. He had come from the base club to her house, acting crazy. He ran from their house, jumped my fence, then jumped another neighbor's fence, into an open area.

We found out later that someone had spiked his drink. He wasn't the only victim. One of the bar staff was wacko.

After the effects wore off, he was OK.

wow I wonder what drug was it

Laundry space under stairs:

Attachments

• IMG-20130717-00093.jpg
    IMG-20130717-00093.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
Back