Home Security Systems

I have used Dropcam for security cam. During my vacation week I got email alert from it on my iPhone last few days and noticed picture of my city police inside of my house, then called them what to happen. They said my patio door was opening. I forgot to close it before leaving. No steal and no thief. But i won't pay monthly for Dropcam DVR at $9.95/7-day recording each month or 30-day recording at $29.95.

When power was out last Wednesday and restore, I got email alert to notice pic of fan light on.

Anger old man reported police on me during I did flip finger at him. He brought cop and He was pointing finger at my camera. Police do nothing and left. ha!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 68
All of this is quite helpful info. Havent decided yet on buying a Logitech but its the first on my list when Im ready.

Those pups would always be my first, second, and third choice for home protection.....:D

Laura

Dogs are good. Trained dogs protected by a well lit fortified home with a security system and backed up by a well trained armed homeowner = bad guy run by by. :lol:

I remember seeing or reading a news about a woman in my local area with a cheap motion sensor camera in her home. It starts recording when it detected motion, and can send email/text. Recorded a burgling event and it was used by cops to find the suspect. Think it was from Belkin or some other not too big company, around $50-100 device.

I have not extensively looked into it. However, I have noticed computer kits complete with cameras. I can only speculate that they can send an email or text should a motion sensor or something get tripped.

The ones I have seen are around $300, but that does not include installation.

I found the device that was in the news that I saw on TV. Now I remember it was a nanny cam. There isn't an article online about the burglary incident though.

NetCam Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision | NetCam | Connected Home | Products | Belkin USA Site

372.jpg

The Belkin NetCam Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision makes it easy to check in on your kids after school or watch your pet at play--right on your mobile device. The camera connects to your Wi-Fi router without the need of a computer.
Simply download the free NetCam app on your iOS or Android device to keep an eye on your home anytime, anywhere. The camera's wide-angle video captures large spaces, while its clear digital audio keeps you from missing conversations or noises. With night vision for recording in low light, NetCam is ideal for baby monitoring.
It also lets you save video directly to your mobile device, so you can share your favorite memories. NetCam requires a Wi-Fi router with an Internet connection and an Apple device with iOS 4.2+ or an Android device with version 2.2+.
Check out the Belkin NetCam Community.

Dogs are good. Trained dogs protected by a well lit fortified home with a security system and backed up by a well trained armed homeowner = bad guy run by by. :lol:
What do you do if you leave town for a couple weeks? Who takes care of the dogs?

Ha! Actually it's funny because I don't have one either. My wife does though.

They seem like good ideas but I'm still concerned about the lag time between a break in and when I might read the email, and then contact the police. Sometimes I don't read my emails for hours because I'm either doing something or in a location where it's not possible. That would be too late then to catch the thieves.

If you can afford it then it sounds like something better is for you. Don't forget though it might get you pictures of the robbers or if you set one up right their car.

Maybe you can set it up for text? I can text my wife from gmail.

I just looked around and a lot of people do set them up with SMS so your phone will get a text. Even my old school flip phone gets text :lol:

I just looked around and a lot of people do set them up with SMS so your phone will get a text. Even my old school flip phone gets text :lol:
But even with text one has to be able to answer the phone. That is, if I'm driving, or interpreting, or at a medical appointment, or at the beach, or out of range, I might not see the message for one or two hours after it's sent.

I have another question.

Suppose you are out of town when you get the message of a break in. Calling 911 will get you the local police, not the ones at your home location. How does that work? Do you use a non-911 number that you have programmed into your phone?

I have my local PD number in my phone. I would say if you're worried about not being available to get the message you'll have to go with something more sophisticated.

Reba, if I recall correctly you use a BB on Alltel (now T-mobile) right? It's already a 'smart'phone. :cool2:

I switch between a flip dumbphone and smartphone, depending on what I need to use it for. My plan's still set for smartphone provisioned. The dumbphone can hold a charge for about a week, so it's good for nature travels.

I guess it is a downside if you don't check your phone often, but then again the recording can be hopefully some use.

Back