Home Security Systems

Reba, if I recall correctly you use a BB on Alltel (now T-mobile) right? It's already a 'smart'phone. :cool2:
You are correct!

I switch between a flip dumbphone and smartphone, depending on what I need to use it for. My plan's still set for smartphone provisioned. The dumbphone can hold a charge for about a week, so it's good for nature travels.

I guess it is a downside if you don't check your phone often, but then again the recording can be hopefully some use.
I would like something that scares off the crooks before they can do damage or take anything. Having pictures is good (after the fact) but they aren't protection. Of course, sometimes just having the security system signage is good prevention.

Many criminals have said that if they saw cameras or dogs they just went to the next house. I think if you really want to secure stuff you should get a good safe. Cameras and dogs can be defeated. A good safe is a lot of work to crack.

Also record the serial numbers on all your stuff and takes photos too. Store that info on CDs at a few responsible friends houses. Another thing that doesn't prevent robbery but might get your stuff back or help with prosecution.

I remember from the studies I read on home burglaries, there are some factors that you can't fix unless you move.

Like homes at the entrance of a block/street, census tract areas marked by high poverty (nobody is going to be afraid of burglarizing), the pro/inactiveness of the neighbors in your street to yell off shady people or disruptive teens, so on. Having a dog/sign/camera in the open may work for the less tempted burglars, but it wouldn't work on a criminal who is dead set on robbing/burglarizing your home.
Differences in cities too, no doubt. Some of those factors are pretty high in determining whether or not you're going to get burgled.

Many criminals have said that if they saw cameras or dogs they just went to the next house. I think if you really want to secure stuff you should get a good safe. Cameras and dogs can be defeated. A good safe is a lot of work to crack.
If the dogs can also call the fire department, that would be perfect. :giggle:

Unless we had a walk-in vault we couldn't put every item (TV's, computers, guns, all electronics, etc.) into one safe.

Besides, that's not a very convenient life. :lol:

We'd have to live in the vault to be safe from home invasions. :eek3:

...Having a dog/sign/camera in the open may work for the less tempted burglars, but it wouldn't work on a criminal who is dead set on robbing/burglarizing your home...

Totally agree. Someone who is dead set on getting into a specific place will be hard to deter. That's why I think a large safe for valuables is a good idea.

Also record the serial numbers on all your stuff and takes photos too. Store that info on CDs at a few responsible friends houses. Another thing that doesn't prevent robbery but might get your stuff back or help with prosecution.
Yes, we record the serial numbers but I would still rather prevent a break in. I'm not so much worried about insured items. It's the irreplaceable things that I worry about, like when they stole my baby stuff.

If the dogs can also call the fire department, that would be perfect. :giggle:

Unless we had a walk-in vault we couldn't put every item (TV's, computers, guns, all electronics, etc.) into one safe.

Besides, that's not a very convenient life. :lol:

We'd have to live in the vault to be safe from home invasions. :eek3:

TV's, computer and the such are replaceable. I was thinking of firearms and jewelry and family stuff and things with personal value. Good safes are fire and water resistant so they can help with that to.

And you and I both know you have the home invasion part covered. :laugh2: The cops probably can't show up in time if someone has already entered your house.

You're are definitely going to need a monitored system to meet your requirements.

I remember from the studies I read on home burglaries, there are some factors that you can't fix unless you move.
:hmm:

Like homes at the entrance of a block/street,
We're on the inside curve.

census tract areas marked by high poverty
That's not our area.

... the pro/inactiveness of the neighbors in your street to yell off shady people or disruptive teens
They will do it, if they notice. The problem is, not many people are home during the day, and the houses aren't easy to observe. We do live next door to a deputy on one side.

...Having a dog/sign/camera in the open may work for the less tempted burglars, but it wouldn't work on a criminal who is dead set on robbing/burglarizing your home....
Good point.

Large 1-Hr. Fireproof Safe [22.9 Cu. Ft.] | NationwideSafes.com

1 hour fire protection. You could have a pretty bad fire and this stuff could still be ok.
We have one safe big enough for the guns but not the ammo. I hate to think what would happen in a fire with the ammo exposed. :eek3:

Other than my wedding band, I don't have valuable jewelry (it's real gold but no stones, so I guess it's not worth many dollars to anyone else). If I'm not home I'm wearing that anyway. :) A few pieces have sentimental value to me but no monetary value to anyone else.

We've done research, and the truly quality safes are mega expensive! The other problem with a large one is, where do you put it?

I love those safes that are behind secret doors or bookcases. I've always wanted one of those. :giggle:

We have one safe big enough for the guns but not the ammo. I hate to think what would happen in a fire with the ammo exposed. :eek3:

Other than my wedding band, I don't have valuable jewelry (it's real gold but no stones, so I guess it's not worth many dollars to anyone else). If I'm not home I'm wearing that anyway. :) A few pieces have sentimental value to me but no monetary value to anyone else.

We've done research, and the truly quality safes are mega expensive! The other problem with a large one is, where do you put it?

I love those safes that are behind secret doors or bookcases. I've always wanted one of those. :giggle:

I know a guy that had some really old reloads he thought where loaded too hot to shoot. One day he had the burn barrel going and toss them in. Scared the crap out of me buut they just went pop pop. He saw i was scared on showed me how "safe"it was. Now i don't recomend this but he took a tourch to a round. It poped but not that loud and the bullet barely moved. The casing, being lighter than the bullet, shot off about 20 feet but probably wouldn't have hurt too bad.

I wouldn't call them safe but ammo in a fire is not all that dangerouse. Maybe in the sense that it can add to the fire.

What do you do if you leave town for a couple weeks? Who takes care of the dogs?

The dog can make their own meals for the day, bark a few times during the day and again at nites, read the paper, refrain from attacking the mailman and watch HBO till their masters get back home. Yeah its a good life.

Yeah a secret passage would be cool. I'm sure there's companies who do stuff like this for homes.

:hmm:

We're on the inside curve.

That's not our area.

They will do it, if they notice. The problem is, not many people are home during the day, and the houses aren't easy to observe. We do live next door to a deputy on one side.

Good point.
Have you tried some of the fairly cheap alternatives? You can probably make your home look impregnable by some deterrents, build up on all of them. Maybe it might attract the hardcore criminal though...
- Cacti and/or thorny bushes under your windows :naughty:
- Alarm company sign
- Wind chimes on the front/back doors
- Door lock on backyard is visibly showing that it is locked (eg silver latch on brown, black latch on white)
- Picket fence around lawn
- "Prison bars" on window (maybe something not black, so it doesn't look so bad)

There are more that can be covered, can't remember them all off the top of my head.

Have you tried some of the fairly cheap alternatives? You can probably make your home look impregnable by some deterrents, build up on all of them. Maybe it might attract the hardcore criminal though...
- Cacti and/or thorny bushes under your windows :naughty:
- Alarm company sign
- Wind chimes on the front/back doors
- Door lock on backyard is visibly showing that it is locked (eg silver latch on brown, black latch on white)
- Picket fence around lawn
- "Prison bars" on window (maybe something not black, so it doesn't look so bad)

There are more that can be covered, can't remember them all off the top of my head.
Seriously? :lol:

tumblr_mgdpumJFFJ1rmxz3jo1_250.gif

Back