Hoh person totally ignores me

No, it's a class full of hearing people. They don't know asl. And no one usually is looking at my terp . But yeah, I can see how pointing it out could be taken as rude by other people. Especially since if that girl if she had seen, since she knows asl. That terp isn't my regular. But my terp and I chat sometimes. It doesn't bother me.

Everyone is diffence and some people do not like to be pointed out. You don't know what that person has going on in her life , she may just want to go to classes and not meet anyone. I would not make a deal out of it or take it personal . She could also be a very shy person .

:lol: funny about diarrhea of mouth.
That's totally understandable, and I totally get what you mean about the conversation. I don't bring up the hearing at all, unless there was something significant about their HA or something, but just try for like any ordinary conversation.. "Are you from around here/*Looking at food item* What do you think of those jello donuts/I can't stop eating these little debbies/so on" (assuming this is a person around my generation). If it's an older lady, like a grandma or grandpa I just treat them with general etiquette like if they couldn't hold on to their stuff or seemed like they needed help putting something on the conveyor belt. Of course, I do it for hearing too, but I'm more likely to help out if I see a deaf granny than a hearing granny. :cool2:

For folks old enough to be my dad (50-60s), I haven't really ran into them other than at deaf events. I'm not good at steering those conversations due to generational differences.

But I get it about the hard conversation too, that's where ASL comes handy. It seems to be pretty quick for me to be able to jump into a conversation with another signer. With other oral HOH I realize we both got to take it slow or we're not going to be able to understand the other.
I do hope there was an easier way to communicate between oral-oral. I still haven't figured it out yet. :hmm:

it's not like we know the whole story about what happened, I didn't see that it was mentioned the 'terp pointed at her. I think if she was cool with her terp's personality, then that's all that counts because she is the one who decides what she wants and doesn't want to hear from the terp right? (Not saying this is right or wrong)

The terp may not had used her finger but she did point her out and to me that is just the same. It was rude and a very immature thing to do. You don't go around pointing people because they're hoh or deaf .

...For folks old enough to be my dad (50-60s), I haven't really ran into them other than at deaf events. I'm not good at steering those conversations due to generational differences...
You don't think the two of us could have a conversation? :giggle:

it's not like we know the whole story about what happened, I didn't see that it was mentioned the 'terp pointed at her.
I'm not sure but she did post that the terp signed "LOOK" which is a directional sign. :dunno:

I think if she was cool with her terp's personality, then that's all that counts because she is the one who decides what she wants and doesn't want to hear from the terp right? (Not saying this is right or wrong)
Let's just say, that's not necessarily the case. I hate to say it but some terps don't respect their clients' preferences.

That terp's timing was wrong, too. She shouldn't have interrupted her interpreting to point out the other student. She could have mentioned it after class, a little more discretely.

IMO

This black bold explain why it is not the way to point finger at the new HOH person in your class and then she explained to you about where she was sitting and all that. Pointing finger is a no-no. It is impolite to point finger. No pointing, please. :)

Just wanted to clear it up that my terp did not point at the girl. She signed in ASL, "there is a hoh girl with two hearing aids in this class. She is sitting in the third rown 4 seats back". Never did the terp point at the girl. However, now that I know the girl knows ASL, I still think it could be taken rude because if she happened to see my terp sign it, she may have felt embarrassed being talked about, but I am sure my terp didn't mean any harm, and I know she didn't point.

Just wanted to clear it up that my terp did not point at the girl. She signed in ASL, "there is a hoh girl with two hearing aids in this class. She is sitting in the third rown 4 seats back". Never did the terp point at the girl. However, now that I know the girl knows ASL, I still think it could be taken rude because if she happened to see my terp sign it, she may have felt embarrassed being talked about, but I am sure my terp didn't mean any harm, and I know she didn't point.

If she was sitting in the class, she wouldn't have missed something like that.

That would be embarrassing to me to be in that position, but I am not too tolerant .

I feel pretty certain that you should just let the interpreter know you could do without that type of help.

I'm glad I didn't have any other deaf or HoH people in any of my classes when I was at college.

I secretly was too. I should explain though... I was there to learn. Plain and simple. If I had another Deaf person there, we would probably end up visiting too much.

I do not talk to other Deaffies when I'm doing my own thing in public. In fact, I'm probably a little unnecessarily rude about it but Austin's got a big enough of a Deaf community as to where it becomes very annoying. I give dirty looks then walk away without saying much. I can be grumpy sometimes. I'm even sometimes grumpy to friends...

:crazy:

I secretly was too. I should explain though... I was there to learn. Plain and simple. If I had another Deaf person there, we would probably end up visiting too much.

I do not talk to other Deaffies when I'm doing my own thing in public. In fact, I'm probably a little unnecessarily rude about it but Austin's got a big enough of a Deaf community as to where it becomes very annoying. I give dirty looks then walk away without saying much. I can be grumpy sometimes. I'm even sometimes grumpy to friends...

Yet, interaction over the internet is not a problem?

Yet, interaction over the internet is not a problem?

Like I said... on my own personal time. It's one thing to be repeatedly approached while I'm trying to grocery shop (to use an example). Especially if I saw you yesterday and the day before and the day before that.

It's another thing to GO to a forum to visit with people.

I miss talking to people. I always talked to people while sitting in a waiting room, grocery line or wherever. Nothing to do with being deaf. Nobody can tell I am totally deaf when I am out. Having worked in the pharmacy for twenty years I became friends with many seniors who I might be the only person they talk to that day. You can tell when someone is willing to have a chat. This is one of the things I miss most about being deaf it really changed the outgoing friendly person that I was.

Botti you wouldn't have liked me very much back then. However I would never have approached you just because you wear hearing aids. Maybe our dogs would have been the ice breaker. Hahahaha

Sometimes, I get into my "anti-social" moods so if I lived in a town with so many deaf people, I know that I wont venture out because I know I will end up being grumpy and get snappy with them for trying to strike up a long winded conversation with me. Sometimes I am just not in the mood to talk with anyone so when I am in one of those moods, I avoid eye contact with people whom I sense are "talkers" when out in the community.
Maybe she was not in the mood to strike up conversations with strangers.

Like I said... on my own personal time. It's one thing to be repeatedly approached while I'm trying to grocery shop (to use an example). Especially if I saw you yesterday and the day before and the day before that.

It's another thing to GO to a forum to visit with people.

I'm jealous. I must have missed the class in which we were told that hearing aids can make people swoon.

While buying wine this morning, in fact, I was approached by an attractive woman who suggested a bottle of wine. It took me a few seconds to realize I was wearing a winter hat which covered my hearing aid, just as well, I wouldn't have wanted her to faint right there anyway.

Luckily, I don't have those problems...

I miss talking to people. I always talked to people while sitting in a waiting room, grocery line or wherever. Nothing to do with being deaf. Nobody can tell I am totally deaf when I am out. Having worked in the pharmacy for twenty years I became friends with many seniors who I might be the only person they talk to that day. You can tell when someone is willing to have a chat. This is one of the things I miss most about being deaf it really changed the outgoing friendly person that I was.

Botti you wouldn't have liked me very much back then. However I would never have approached you just because you wear hearing aids. Maybe our dogs would have been the ice breaker. Hahahaha

I wouldn't have disliked you for mistakenly thinking I needed human contact.

You would have given up quickly in embarrassment when you realized how handicapped I am. ( And that isn't anything against you, it's just something I deal with all the time. This internet world lets the person I am be known without the real life barriers. )

Well, I'll be sure to remind myself not to greet you at a grocer. ;)

There's a lot of good points and arguments going on in there but we're missing the main point IMO. I think the question the OP is trying to find out (besides the education or interpreter ethics) is about meeting other random deaf people for the first time in real life, not specifically under a certain pretense, esp. when you don't have much if any deaf friends already. I think the classroom experience is used as an example, but not necessarily supposed to be the exact conditions if you ran into someone like that.

Are you against greeting them, or are you not and why?

I'm jealous. I must have missed the class in which we were told that hearing aids can make people swoon.

While buying wine this morning, in fact, I was approached by an attractive woman who suggested a bottle of wine. It took me a few seconds to realize I was wearing a winter hat which covered my hearing aid, just as well, I wouldn't have wanted her to faint right there anyway.

Luckily, I don't have those problems...

Hearing aids? I'm talking about bumping into Deaf people anywhere. We can pretty much identify a Deaf person a heckuva lot quicker than hearing people in general. I don't know why I'm grumpy but I do value my time very much. Austin's got a high concentration of Deaf people, especially on the south side of town. I know how it feels being the only one around though. We all have had bouts of isolation. I lived in Las Vegas for 3 1/2 years without meeting a single Deaf person there. It was just me and my then-girlfriend, also Deaf.

You don't think the two of us could have a conversation? :giggle:

We'll see when that day comes.. You would have the advantage, I can't brag about my grandkids, milestones in life, or "back in my days"... :lol:

Yes, but she doesn't use ASL in class. She can hear enough with her hearing aids it seems. But I saw her talking to a hearing person after class, and I noticed her hands make some ASL signs while she was talking. It seemed to me she wasn't aware that she was even making signs as she talked. I know some people talk with their hands while they speak, but these were the right ASL signs, so I'm sure she knows ASL.

My friends pointed out that I do this while speaking. I had no idea! :giggle:

Could you go say hi to her? Maybe she's shy.

Well, I'll be sure to remind myself not to greet you at a grocer. ;)

There's a lot of good points and arguments going on in there but we're missing the main point IMO. I think the question the OP is trying to find out (besides the education or interpreter ethics) is about meeting other random deaf people for the first time in real life, not specifically under a certain pretense, esp. when you don't have much if any deaf friends already. I think the classroom experience is used as an example, but not necessarily supposed to be the exact conditions if you ran into someone like that.

Are you against greeting them, or are you not and why?

Haha. There used to be a time when I would walk up to them myself. Heck, I approached a group of girls who were sporting UH tshirts in Longhorn country at TSD's recent homecoming. They turned out to be students from UH's ASL class. I ended up chatting up a storm with them as I took (you even could say taught) ASL IV there too. I know they were hearing but I CAN be somewhat social... sooooo... No I am not against greeting those and do give up a few moments but this does not really happen here in Austin. It's always somebody I know.

At the time I attended UH, there were only 6 other Deaf undergrads in a school of over 30k so we chatted every chance we got but I was glad they were not in my classes.

Everything changed when I moved to Austin. Now I want that bit of "privacy" that I used to have. Is it called comfort behavior or something? Nah, I think I'm just as human as anybody else. It's no different with hearing people in their domain. I do not approach the Deaf because I know them. I was in Lawton, OK the other day and bumped into a Deaf busser at a restaurant that I was eating at. I approached him. Wanted to know what there was to do in Lawton. That place is pretty dead. He ended up overstepping it and sat down with us at our table and we couldn't eat very well. Eh. I didn't mind though. I knew I was the only one he'd seen in a long time. He had a lot to say. Nononono.. he NEEDED to visit. He was going out of his mind from lack of a community. I understand. Been there done that. It just hasn't happened in the 6 years that I have lived in Austin. Solid community and hearing Austinites know how to interact with us.

I'm really a nice guy in general. I just can be grumpy from time to time.

Back