HIV+ Travellers banned from entering the US

Should the law be changed?

• No! Leave the current law intact!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Maybe; change the law to permit tourists but no immigrants.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Yes, end the ban!

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kuifje75

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was talking with my French friend, and I learned something shocking about our government. My French friend had a friend who is HIV+ and he went to Canada to visit. Then he rode a bus from Montréal to New York, only to be stopped at the border and told to get off the bus. It was because he answered the customs form "Yes" to the question asking whether if he was HIV+.

Naturally, I was surprised that our government would ban HIV+ tourists from visiting our country. I decided to do some research and found out that US is one of the 15 countries that actively ban HIV+ tourists from entering our borders. It was a part of a legislation that was passed in 1987 by Jesse Helms in midst of the AIDS scare, and this law has not changed in the past 20 years.

Do you think that this law is extreme, given that the US is supposedly the most free nation in the world? Do you believe that HIV+ travellers should continue to be banned, because you think that they will actively spread the HIV? Do you think that this legislation should be changed to permit HIV+ tourists into our country, especially to fulfill their dreams to see what America is like?

It seems like the President has eased some of the restrictions but not remove the law. I never knew about this law until I saw your posting. Wow!!! Apparently it was enforced during the panic about HIV and AIDS in the 80s. I think it is wrong and discriminating especially now that we are more educated about it. Besides there are thousands of HIV and AIDS cases here in the US so apparently the law was of no use except to discriminate foriegners.

Aidsmap | US promises ‘streamlined’ process for HIV-positive tourist visas

It is STILL enforced, Shel90. My French friend's friend was RECENTLY denied entry into the US as of this year.

It is STILL enforced, Shel90. My French friend's friend was RECENTLY denied entry into the US as of this year.

Right...like I said in my previous post, Bush hasnt removed it..just eased the restrictions but apparently not enough or it is more BS talk from Bush. :sure:

OOOH..I reread the link and paid closer attention...it hasnt eased the restrictions yet but said "will". My mistake in not reading it correctly in the first place. That sucks...

But it also said " HIV-positive individuals can apply for a short-term waiver to allow them to enter the US under certain circumstances. " I prefer to wait and see what changes they're going to do about this law here but however I do agree that this is an inappropriate policy which I'm absolutely speechless ...

wow, I´m total speechless...

I find this law is an extreme & unfair. Yes, this is a discriminate what the lawmaker did.

I only know that the tourists who carried lyme disease (tick-bit) are not accept to some of countries but HIV...?

I happen to agree with that policy of denying HIV + people into the U.S.A. This is not being mean to the people who are HIV + and it is more of a safety measure and I do support that safety measure. The only people that should be admitted to the U.S.A. are those who had blood transfusions or are hemophillic. There is no sense in spreading further the HIV + disease within our own country. This is a good safety measure. Too bad it has gotten caught up in a political and emotional firestorm. If they would stop to look at the common-sense safety measures put in place then this debate would have ended right there, case closed. The safety of the U.S.A. comes first.

I happen to agree with that policy of denying HIV + people into the U.S.A. This is not being mean to the people who are HIV + and it is more of a safety measure and I do support that safety measure. The only people that should be admitted to the U.S.A. are those who had blood transfusions or are hemophillic. There is no sense in spreading further the HIV + disease within our own country. This is a good safety measure. Too bad it has gotten caught up in a political and emotional firestorm. If they would stop to look at the common-sense safety measures put in place then this debate would have ended right there, case closed. The safety of the U.S.A. comes first.

Wait a min...I disagree with you on that. The US is already so infected with HIV and AIDS and will continue to be regardless of banning foriegners with HIV and AIDS from entering the US. I really think this policy is just an outdated theory that was created back then when people were uneducated about this disease. Did it work? Nope cuz as long as people continue to engage in risky behavior this epidemic will continue. I seriously doubt by letting foriegners with this disease in the US will contribute to the spreading of the disease.

Wait a min...I disagree with you on that. The US is already so infected with HIV and AIDS and will continue to be regardless of banning foriegners with HIV and AIDS from entering the US. I really think this policy is just an outdated theory that was created back then when people were uneducated about this disease. Did it work? Nope cuz as long as people continue to engage in risky behavior this epidemic will continue. I seriously doubt by letting foriegners with this disease in the US will contribute to the spreading of the disease.

Why leave things to chance ? Look, denying entry for people who are HIV + to the U.S.A. is the smart thing to do then there are the educational efforts within the U.S.A. to stop the spread of HIV + and if we would listen to the advice God gave in the book of Leviticus which is in essential, HIV prevention with alots of common sense then hopefully find a cure for HIV but I don't think there will be a 100 % cure of HIV and this sounds like one of the Biblical diseases being poured out from the book of Revealations in these End Times with so many people sinning before God like in the times of Noah, nobody heeded the call of God then the whole world drowned in a great flood so basically, the whole world is drowning in a disease that is a plague to society called HIV/AIDS. Let me ask you a question, during the Black Plague of the 17th or the 18th century. Would you of have left anything to chance ?

This is why I support the policy of protecting the U.S.A. from the diease plus any another much more deadly dieases to not be entered into the U.S.A. period. That is not being mean, that is being safe. Think about it 750,000 to 1 million HIV + immigrants being admitted to the U.S.A in the course of one year. Are you more than happy to take that chance ? I think not.

Why leave things to chance ? Look, denying entry for people who are HIV + to the U.S.A. is the smart thing to do then there are the educational efforts within the U.S.A. to stop the spread of HIV + and if we would listen to the advice God gave in the book of Leviticus which is in essential, HIV prevention with alots of common sense then hopefully find a cure for HIV but I don't think there will be a 100 % cure of HIV and this sounds like one of the Biblical diseases being poured out from the book of Revealations in these End Times with so many people sinning before God like in the times of Noah, nobody heeded the call of God then the whole world drowned in a great flood so basically, the whole world is drowning in a disease that is a plague to society called HIV/AIDS. Let me ask you a question, during the Black Plague of the 17th or the 18th century. Would you of have left anything to chance ?

This is why I support the policy of protecting the U.S.A. from the diease plus any another much more deadly dieases to not be entered into the U.S.A. period. That is not being mean, that is being safe. Think about it 750,000 to 1 million HIV + immigrants being admitted to the U.S.A in the course of one year. Are you more than happy to take that chance ? I think not.

What's up with all these religous statements? How are they related to this thread? They are of no interest to me so no need for religous statements...your opinion and point of view is good enough for this thread.

Okay Lucia and Shel90, Since you ignore the value of medicine in the Holy Bible.

You both can not ignore these secular statements.

Let me ask you a question, during the Black Plague of the 17th or the 18th century. Would you of have left anything to chance ?

This is why I support the policy of protecting the U.S.A. from the diease plus any another much more deadly dieases to not be entered into the U.S.A. period. That is not being mean, that is being safe.

Think about it 750,000 to 1 million HIV + immigrants being admitted to the U.S.A in the course of one year. Are you more than happy to take that chance ? I think not.

Okay Lucia and Shel90, Since you ignore the value of medicine in the Holy Bible.

You both can not ignore these secular statements.

Let me ask you a question, during the Black Plague of the 17th or the 18th century. Would you of have left anything to chance ?

This is why I support the policy of protecting the U.S.A. from the diease plus any another much more deadly dieases to not be entered into the U.S.A. period. That is not being mean, that is being safe.

Think about it 750,000 to 1 million HIV + immigrants being admitted to the U.S.A in the course of one year. Are you more than happy to take that chance ? I think not.

I am not a religous person so the quotes from the Bible has no meaning to me. If u believe in all that, that is your choice but I am just saying that preaching the bible to me wont work so there is no need for it.

As for banning anyone with HIV/AIDS in the US..it is just discriminating. If I had a family member or friend with that disease from another country and that person cant visit me just because he/she is stricken with the disease I would be very heartbroken. I think the solution to this problem is people have protected sex, stop sharing needles, and better regulation on the blood supply.

Where is your source about those numbers?

I am not a religous person so the quotes from the Bible has no meaning to me. If u believe in all that, that is your choice but I am just saying that preaching the bible to me wont work so there is no need for it.

As for banning anyone with HIV/AIDS in the US..it is just discriminating. If I had a family member or friend with that disease from another country and that person cant visit me just because he/she is stricken with the disease I would be very heartbroken. I think the solution to this problem is people have protected sex, stop sharing needles, and better regulation on the blood supply.

Where is your source about those numbers?

If somebody is HIV + and can not come to the U.S.A. then you can go visit that family member or a friend in another country.

I just know that the INS admits millions of legal immigrants into the U.S.A. every year and we do not need our legal residents from another countries coming in with the infected HIV + disease, again this is not being mean and This is about SAFETY of the United States of America. Why leave something to chance ? The risk is simply just too great. Also, don't forget another countries rountinely deny HIV + people into their countries as a matter of SAFETY too.

If somebody is HIV + and can not come to the U.S.A. then you can go visit that family member or a friend in another country.

I just know that the INS admits millions of legal immigrants into the U.S.A. every year and we do not need our legal residents from another countries coming in with the infected HIV + disease, again this is not being mean and This is about SAFETY of the United States of America. Why leave something to chance ? The risk is simply just too great. Also, don't forget another countries rountinely deny HIV + people into their countries as a matter of SAFETY too.

That is your opinion and u are entitled to it just as I am. I just didnt appreciate all the religous statements cuz they have nothing to do with this issue.

Let me ask you a question, during the Black Plague of the 17th or the 18th century. Would you of have left anything to chance?

The Black Plague was contagious by touch and air. HIV/AIDS isn't. I can understand if a foreigner is denied access to the USA if s/he is found to carry an airborne illness (Bird Flu and similar illnesses) but AIDS/HIV?

There's a big difference right there.

Back