Hire a Certificated Interpreter vs Family Interpreter?

Reba, You shouldn 't interpret for free!

Hi Reba,
Thats nice you volunteer to interpert, but you need to get paid.
I've been paid when I do my interperting.
I'm director of Comunication Services for OCDAC in Irvine.
And I help interprert in our many funraiser booths and at our booth at the Orange County Fair.
"I LOVE IT"!!

Reba said:
I hope you do become a CDI. They perform a very important function in the interpreting process.

Thanks Reba.. I want to be CDI for years.. I don't know what am I waiting for. *chuckles* Hopefully soon.. ;)

Alot of people are willing to volunteer to interpret without paid. I did many times at the Physically Challanged for 16 years. I am doing it for the kids, not for me. I do not care abt getting paid. I want to show the kids that I am support them. The most thing I want to see the kids is SMILE and HAPPY and have a good time. I alway take my weekend off to interpret for the kids every year. I do not need to get paid. It's fun, experience, and challange too!

Margie said:
Hi Reba,
Thats nice you volunteer to interpert, but you need to get paid.
I've been paid when I do my interperting.
I'm director of Comunication Services for OCDAC in Irvine.
And I help interprert in our many funraiser booths and at our booth at the Orange County Fair.
"I LOVE IT"!!
When I work for my agency I do get paid.

My volunteer work is separate from my job. I don't do assignments for free that would take bread off the table of other working terps, or be in conflict with someone's contract.

Most professions do "pro bono" work in addition to their paid work. Terping is the same way. Lawyers do pro bono for indigent clients, doctors volunteer for inner city clinics, professional athletes coach kids' teams for free, etc.

Margie said:
And you don't need A RID to be an interpreter!!
Whoever told you all that lied.
Margie Gartez
Dir. of Commuicaton Services
OCDAC

It depends. Each state and organization has different requirements. I wouldn't say someone "lied" without knowing all the facts. :(

There are many variables involved. Some states, schools, organizations only require that the terp be "qualified". That is a pretty fuzzy definition. For some that means RID or NAD certified. For some it means a state certification or a college degree, or both. For some it means whatever that organization wants it to mean. That is one of the struggles going on in the terping profession right now. There is no one standard that fits every situation in every location. Legal terps usually have the highest, most stringent requiresments. Church terps are usually exempt from state requirements. Schools sometimes set their own standards. It is all very complicated. Some organizations saythey require certification but don't actually enforce it. Some terps are "grandfathered" in their jobs.

My point is, there is not one "right" or "wrong" answer to the question right now.

Margie said:
I don't believe that the deaf and hard of hearing should have to pay alot of money for an interpreter!!
They all can't afford it.
I've known ASL for 29yrs, and don't charge alot for my interpreting.
I'm cheap!!
$10.00 an hour.
Margie
Director of Communation Services
OCDAC
What does "OCDAC" stand for? If you mentioned it before, I am sorry that I missed it.

Are you a hearing terp?

Are you certified? Or do you have a degree in interpreting? Or are you a CODA?

Just a professional tip: It sounds better to say, "My rates are not expensive" or "I charge very reasonable rates" rather than "I'm cheap!" Sometimes "cheap" reminds people that you get what you pay for, as in lower quality service. "Cheap" sounds a little sleazy.

Reba said:
What does "OCDAC" stand for? If you mentioned it before, I am sorry that I missed it.

Are you a hearing terp?

Are you certified? Or do you have a degree in interpreting? Or are you a CODA?

Just a professional tip: It sounds better to say, "My rates are not expensive" or "I charge very reasonable rates" rather than "I'm cheap!" Sometimes "cheap" reminds people that you get what you pay for, as in lower quality service. "Cheap" sounds a little sleazy.
Ditto.

Margie said:
I've know sign lanugage (ASL) for 29yrs.And I'm an interpreter too.
Most all interpreters are very expensive, they charge $25.00 an hour and up
I'm cheaper than that I charge $10.00 an hour.
Some doctor's offices have computers so the deaf can comunitcate.
And you don't need A RID to be an interpreter!!
Whoever told you all that lied.
Margie Gartez
Dir. of Commuicaton Services
OCDAC
It's starting to sound like you're advertising yourself. Since you're repeating yourself, it sounds like you're trying to pressure us to listening to you. We all have our own opinions so there's no need for repeating the same phrase over and over.

Reba said:
It depends. Each state and organization has different requirements. I wouldn't say someone "lied" without knowing all the facts. :(

There are many variables involved. Some states, schools, organizations only require that the terp be "qualified". That is a pretty fuzzy definition. For some that means RID or NAD certified. For some it means a state certification or a college degree, or both. For some it means whatever that organization wants it to mean. That is one of the struggles going on in the terping profession right now. There is no one standard that fits every situation in every location. Legal terps usually have the highest, most stringent requiresments. Church terps are usually exempt from state requirements. Schools sometimes set their own standards. It is all very complicated. Some organizations saythey require certification but don't actually enforce it. Some terps are "grandfathered" in their jobs.

My point is, there is not one "right" or "wrong" answer to the question right now.

Hear hear! :cheers:

VamPyroX said:
It's starting to sound like you're advertising yourself. Since you're repeating yourself, it sounds like you're trying to pressure us to listening to you. We all have our own opinions so there's no need for repeating the same phrase over and over.

I second you, Vampy -- it certainly does look like advertising for herself. I reckon that she's probably a troll, trolling for jobs to pick up and so forth.

Margie, if you're looking for jobs -- you shouldn't be advertising in every thread you post in about interpreting and stuff like that. That's not professional. Simply advertise it in the job section in this forum, there's one and is the most appropriate place to put up an advertisement for your services.

You making claims that whoever said about obtaining RID or NAD certification, lied -- no...like other people who have responded in here stated it varies from state to state on the requirements in becoming an interpreter.
A few times I've offered to help interpret between deaf to deaf -- I'm deaf myself, but there are deaf people who don't understand the general rules in english -- so I interpret in a simple way -- like gesturing and home sign language in order for the person to understand what is being said to them, etc.

Reba said:
OCDAC is short for 'Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center, located in suburban Los Angeles. :) You can find the links in Nesmuth's profile. :)

I prefer to have a certificated interpreter when I needed one but if it's a last min plan then I will find someone in my family to interpreter for me because I do not like it when someone has to write everything down, it takes too much time....

Brian said:
OCDAC is short for 'Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center, located in suburban Los Angeles. :) You can find the links in Nesmuth's profile. :)
Thanks.

Margie said:
Hi I've know sign langugae(ASL) for 29 yrs, and you don't need a Rid or a Nad ceritfcarte to be an interpreter.

Are you sure you've known ASL for 29 years? Normally if someone has known ASL for 29 years, they don't feel the need to remind people in every other post.

Margie said:
I 'm diector of Communation Services for OCDAC

Do you have any proof? Does OCDAC realize what a complete ass of yourself you are making?

Margie said:
The test is too hard and very expenisve!!!

How can you have known ASL for 29 years and complain about the test being hard? The test is there to set a standard and to make sure that the interpreters know what they are doing. If you can't pass the test, you shouldn't be interpreting in professional settings.

Margie said:
Hi I've know sign langugae(ASL) for 29 yrs, and you don't need a Rid or a Nad ceritfcarte to be an interpreter.
I 'm diector of Communation Services for OCDAC, and I "LOVE IT"!!!
The test is too hard and very expenisve!!!
Margie
Director of Communattion Services at OCDAC

How can you interpret when you can’t even spell?

Ethereal said:
Are you sure you've known ASL for 29 years? Normally if someone has known ASL for 29 years, they don't feel the need to remind people in every other post.

Do you have any proof? Does OCDAC realize what a complete ass of yourself you are making?

How can you have known ASL for 29 years and complain about the test being hard? The test is there to set a standard and to make sure that the interpreters know what they are doing. If you can't pass the test, you shouldn't be interpreting in professional settings.

How can you interpret when you can’t even spell?

I am with you!!! I've said it at the first place a while ago abt her spelling, etc. I do not believe that she is an interpreter. She is so biased about CI and kept saying that she knew asl for 29 years. Ya have to look at CI thread to see what she said. repeatly!! I am already sick of it. Sorry for saying that. I have enough.

Back