Hire a Certificated Interpreter vs Family Interpreter?

Opal

Reaction score
I can see there is a heat talk about it in other thread as I don't want add as it is off topic there.

From now on, I prefer to hire a professional certificate Interpreter than relying on my hearing husband as interpreter for me to save the cost.

Because I booked one for my daughter's school, and on my arrival and I was told the Interpreter cancelled at the last minute, should my husband act like one instead, and I thought ok to save the trouble!

And I told teachers off saying "You said to my daughter" and my husband was translating for me "she heard someone said" and after that meeting's over, and we got back home and he admit that he changed words to suit him better, I was mad at him because its not what I said, he SAID because he want to protest our DAUGHTER's, and I was stuck and live with it.

IF this Interpreter turn up as planned, the meeting will turn out to be different views.

I understand exactly WHY it is not right to hire anyone from your family as Interpreter for you because they protest you and cover up something they think it suit them best to please their family.

It is best to hire certificate Interpreter as he/she will tell straight forward information.

If my husband never admit to me and I will never find out the truth as I cannot hear the full story.

I understand his views to slight twist the words because he cares about our daughter's and its catch 22.

If the Interpreter cancel the appointment with me again I will cancel it too.

Last edited:
I second that, Red Rum.

I'm totally agree everything what you said. Yes, I remember what you had told me about this. Yes, I do the same when I were you because your word remind me of your daughter when my son told me what he had the problem with teacher so I hired interpreter. I did said to her: "Why you said to my son".. Why I said this to her BECAUSE Danny told me it's HER, he witnessed himself. We sorted the situation out with the help from interpreter. His teacher admitted her mistake & did apology to my son. I realized what your hubby did is not right.

I would order neutral interpreter than relying my relatives or my children. I would NEVER use my children as interpreter to save the cost.

I did once to use one of my relatives as interpreter. I realized that I received half information, that's why I never do that again so I use neutral interpreter now.

I use neutral interpreter all the time to attend parents evening, informations, contract agreement, hospitail, lawyers, notary, discussion, etc.

Why I prefer neutral interpreter BECAUSE they do what I want to say or question then I can recieve FULL information & get everything what I want to get.

Last edited:
I'd rather hire professional an interpreter which the best straigthenforward. than using my children as acting an interpreter. Of course I know they prefer save their cost but still too bad! All I preference useful an interpreter as professional.

They really dislike what I've told them "Use contact an Interpreter" If you refused, I'll file the Educational Of Ministry (upstair) meaning on the top! They knew I could action for my personally. To make sure, an interpreter present, btw, I'll be very certinally satisftity.

Includes rest of other companies too... Espically doctor too.

(Sometimes, I do not necessary bring an interpreter in my family doctor which my doctor is very oralized and patience w/me thru write and paper. and also If seriouis action in the hopsital, be always bring an interpreter preference more straigthenforward better ways than misunderstanding)

Bullym0m remind me about "family doctor". Yes, I can deal with my family doctor myself without hire interpreter.

Yes, if you bring your family as Interpreter for you and the Doctor will tell you the bad result like eg "You will live for 3 weeks"?

Will your immediate family tell you the TRUTH or to kind to be cruel to tell you a little white fib that you will live longer? :-o

Professional Interpreter will tell you the TRUTH and straight forward than your immediate family IMO.

I can deal with family doctor myself when there're nothing serious like stomach ache, flu, etc etc etc.

My family doctor knows I would hire interpeter if there're something serious like sad result etc.

Accord German law, it's Doctor's duty to tell you the truth. The patient would sue doctors for not tell them the truth.

Last edited:
I agree with you all. Got to have to trust the interpreter.. There is one lady who is my friend, she is totally deaf and she go to the doctor, and her mom was with her, and this lady went there for check up, and doctor found something wrong with her, and the doctor told the mom and the mom told this lady, "you are fine and there is nothing wrong".. I was like, WTF to the Mom!!! Tell this lady something. I guess she doesn't know what to tell her. So I would say, GET AN INTERPRETER and the Interpreter will tell this lady the whole conversation and she found out what is wrong with her in the next appointment and she said she will NEVER bring her mom to the doctor or anywhere. She is bringing her interpreter.

Another solution

Many Dr's examination rooms have computers and they can be used as communication aids either through text or website translation. This way privacy and content accuracy is guaranteed.

Richard Roehm

Last edited:
Yes, I know what you mean CrazyRedHeadWV. It was happened to me before that's why I hire neutral interepeter...

Nesmuth said:
Many Dr's examination rooms have computers and they can be used as communication aids either through text or website translation. This way privacy and content accuracy is guaranteed.

Richard Roehm

Before I left for vacation.. I went to a new doctor office for few reason and I am very pleased with my new primary care doctor.. and I really do like their policy etc. Nurse tells me this that the ekg happen once a year and happen to all new patient.. my old doctor office doesn't and also This doctor office has computers in each rooms which I am very please they are up to date with everything too.. and when I leave the examation room the doctor gave me a paper I though to bring to the front desk for them to keep it dr said "its yours to keep" I look at it Ahh that's what it was a review on what we have been doing I really do like this way so I told my mom that I do love this doctor offices..

Now back to this topic:

Family interpreter vs. Medical Interpreter I would said 50/50 On depend on what reason you need to have interpreter.. since I have CI, Most of time I do not need Interpreter because I can understood some.. One of my friends who is member here too He can see that I was double checking with my daughter because of the rhymes sound alike My BTE wire broke (they both saw it I was soo upset Argh) but had to use BWP.. and turn out all batteries dead and I have no clue idea where the batteries charger were soo Had to use "back up double a's into the battery box so I could use it.. anyway....

FOr my son who has Brain tumor I don't fook around for not having interpreter. when there is no interpreter I get pisssed off (of course I DO!).. because I believe that it is very very important that I not to neglect that so the doctors in boston knows that I REQUEST for interpreters for Sean's treatments no matter what! mom came with me she will tell me if I miss or misunderstood sometime but Inever do since I got interpreter and when there is no interpreter mom gets upset for me too because she knows how important for me to have one.. and she does know that it is LOTS of work for a family member to interpreter because they have to listen then tell me what they said then I would tell them myself etc.. it is not worth it to have that way...

Wendy

Sometime, it's true that we don't need to have someone in our family to interpret for us which it's may be our private life. But also, sometime, our family want to know are corner to know what happen to us. No matter, the families are always being there for you.

For deaf parents to have their child as such young age to interpreter may seem cruel. I have seen the movie show long time ago around in middle 80s from ABC's. I believe that movie take place in 40s where parents are deaf and have two children. In short, their son die from accident in the story. After death, parents drag their daughter to interpret for them at funeral "store" for box. It seem odd to me in the first place. But had to deal with it.

Anyway, in reality, it may be difficult to make appointment with professional interpreter in such a short notice that we would have to pay for it. That's thing I don't like about interpter service when I tried call once for my job interviewer when they want to see me in such a short advance. Also, the interpreter usually have high-price when there is "emergancy". They prefer to have 5 to 7 days in advanced which is more cheaper. :mad:

258 -- I seen all of treps has busy schedule and sometime would need to postpone of doctor appt or important dates with someone else. I mostly go without treps and go thos just fine. If doctor say you are fine then ask them to make sure, no mistakes. I would! I ask for treps and company tell you to get yourself trep and it is experience to get trep when I need her/him. I did once and learn my lesson... notaffordable to get trep so company need to pay them instead me pays.

It's alright to have a personal friend/family interpret for you for small things such as going to restaurants, stores, etc. However, if it's a serious issue related to meetings, businesses, or doctors... I'd strongly recommend you get a real certified interpreters. They are most likely not to know you and able to do their jobs without question. That would help avoid any "favorism" among others and reduce the chance of problems. I've seen friends bring their moms or dads to interpret for them. When they are in a meeting and the other person says something that the interpreter doesn't like or thinks he/she has an answer to... he/she will reply back alone instead of interpreting to my friend. When that happens, all hell breaks lose and it pisses off my friends. Now, my friends use real certified interpreters. If they cancel, my friends have to learn to be patient and wait longer. Sometimes it happens, but hey... shit happens and we all gotta learn to deal with it. If we want something, we can't always get it ourself. If one wants to be anal and bitch about it, then that person can always "SUE 'EM!"

Yes, vampy, you right. I think same thing - it is their opinion so I would use my parent for trep for something that is not important. If important then I would have trep or myself use my own eyes (would ended up exhausted from read lips) I would like have trep easy for me.

Vampy -- ur comments are what i would have said too! u beat me to it LOL

but yea i would use mom for little things and use a terp for more impt things i need to know like health care, interviews and etc etc -- i know i just simply CANNOT trust my mom to tell me FULLY what was said if she terped for me :roll:

As a pending Certified Deaf Interpeter i can attest to the privacy code of ethics, NO interpeters are allowed to talk abt the job or the locations or the cilents without the cilents ok, otherwise, its strictly confidental, and the interpeters responsiblity is to convey any methods of information to the client in any means ways or form, Interpeters are also responsible for ensuring ALL information is accurate, and to ensure the cilents understanding, it is also part of the code of ethics, and are not allowed to breach the contract between the client nor the practioner or consumer's requests. Therefore having an interpeter is important to convey any or ALL information. Whilist having family member can just be there say for store, or bank and or any other locations thats minor whilist court, Dr, Hosptials, and Colleges are best used with interpeters due to large usage of terminolgies being use and the family members may not have all of it *signed or just flatly ingoring it* when it can be esstensial to ur benfit for yr lives or education.

I truly go for the interpeter At all times and i have had to have mom step down the ONLY time i might need mom is for small talks with her friends thats all!

illustrator said:
Sometime, it's true that we don't need to have someone in our family to interpret for us which it's may be our private life. But also, sometime, our family want to know are corner to know what happen to us. No matter, the families are always being there for you.

For deaf parents to have their child as such young age to interpreter may seem cruel. I have seen the movie show long time ago around in middle 80s from ABC's. I believe that movie take place in 40s where parents are deaf and have two children. In short, their son die from accident in the story. After death, parents drag their daughter to interpret for them at funeral "store" for box. It seem odd to me in the first place. But had to deal with it.

Anyway, in reality, it may be difficult to make appointment with professional interpreter in such a short notice that we would have to pay for it. That's thing I don't like about interpter service when I tried call once for my job interviewer when they want to see me in such a short advance. Also, the interpreter usually have high-price when there is "emergancy". They prefer to have 5 to 7 days in advanced which is more cheaper. :mad:

"Love is never Silent" is the movie you talking about.

It is difficult to find interpreter in short notice, I understand.
Really, I enjoying to lead independant life as much as I can, and I don't like having a 3rd party involved, as I value my privacy so much, but there is no choice as long I am not ignored them!! I have the right to know the full information, hire an interpreter is the only option.

I think family interpreter is a bad idea, I mean no one wants their family in their business especially their private or bills etc............My ex was a CODA and he HATED his parents forcing him to interp for them and they would even pull him out of school so he can interp.......he knows too much about their business and everything.........its too much stress and responsibility, he never felt like a kid ya know.....I think that is why he liked my mom cuz my mom has the belief that the adults business is private and the children shouldnt know or pay for anything (like dinner, etc).

I just remember something else .... My deaf friend's mother is certificated Interpreter and one day, I was in driving class with him. His mother was our interpreter and she did not give any spoil toward him. She know it is confidental, not for her son. She did wonderful job and go out as his mother -- interesting to see her like that. My deaf friend has older sister is also certificated interpreter, she know confidental and not for her family. It was kewl to see them "confidental" and "family" in different ways.

True, MizzDeaf

Some of certificated Interpreter have deaf children here in Germany. Some of them are my good friends. They are such lovely people who are interesting to study about deaf cultures.

Back