Hire a Certificated Interpreter vs Family Interpreter?

I didn't read the rest of this except red rum at the first post. I agree with you that i prefer to hire an professional interpreter than relying on any relatives of mine to interpret for me. It isn't working well for me since the emotional is too takeover it between us. The interperter stays neutral which works for me.

HEY, everyone have their own prefernce and comfortable and works for them. FINE. ;)

My husband only interprets for me when we visit our family doctor. I never had any problems in getting interpreters when I grew up in USA...my mother was an interpreter during that time and still is today, so it was an advantage having a mother who was an interpreter, ha.
But when I became independant and moved out on my own, I'd get different interpreters for different appointments, etc. :)

Computers in doctors rooms seem to help a lot with communication but it is NOT good for these who are not bilingual to carry out an efficent understanding between both parties. Many doctors have a hard time translating ASL on the paper into English in their heads so what they see, is what they see. Vice versa for deaf patients.

I would never ask my family to be interpreters. First of all, they are not technically interpreters. They are signers.

Why ask if we prefer family or professional interpreters when family who can sign are not interpreters to begin with? It should be whether we want a signer or a professional interpreter.

I will never get a signer for any reasons, period. I will simply ask for an interpreter who has been trained and all that to ensure that I am getting 100 percent. I could always ask my family to come along for emotional support, etc.

WaterRats13 said:
My husband only interprets for me when we visit our family doctor. I never had any problems in getting interpreters when I grew up in USA...my mother was an interpreter during that time and still is today, so it was an advantage having a mother who was an interpreter, ha.
But when I became independant and moved out on my own, I'd get different interpreters for different appointments, etc. :)

I am curious, does your mother come with you to the doctor or ob-gyn for birth control or std tests........I am sure you would want a professional (non-family) interp..............

BabyPhat21 said:
I am curious, does your mother come with you to the doctor or ob-gyn for birth control or std tests........I am sure you would want a professional (non-family) interp..............

Nah, I trusted my mother as she's my mother and she knew she was interpreting and interpreted all what she heard to me. She did a fantastic job! :D
My Mum got RID certification. :)

What's more, I never had to get STD tests at all! Just birth control advices and scripts. Nothing wrong with having my mother accompanying me in for that appointment. It's normal. ;)

maybe its a culture thing......but you supposed to be "pure" and act perfect.. our culture is really really strict........

Because of HIPAA, many doctors and hospitals are not allowing family members to interpret medical appointments. They are afraid of breaking the HIPAA law. Even professional terps have to sign documents agreeing to HIPAA confidentiality.

What does HIPAA stand for?
The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (August 21), Public Law 104-191, which amends the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986. Also known as the Kennedy-Kassebaum Act.

What portion of HIPAA is security related?
Title II includes a section, known as "Administrative Simplification," that requires:
Improved efficiency in healthcare delivery by standardizing electronic data interchange, and
Protection of confidentiality and security of health data through setting and enforcing standards.

The law has been around for several years but in recent years it has been interpreted more strictly.
Some of the privacy restrictions seem crazy. It even covers kids' artwork and patients' photos hanging in a doctor's office. It also means that even the police can't call a hospital ER and ask, "Did a young man with a stab wound come to your ER today?"

I'm an interpreter

Hi I've know sign langugae(ASL) for 29 yrs, and you don't need a Rid or a Nad ceritfcarte to be an interpreter.
I 'm diector of Communation Services for OCDAC, and I "LOVE IT"!!!
The test is too hard and very expenisve!!!
Margie
Director of Communattion Services at OCDAC

Margie said:
Hi I've know sign langugae(ASL) for 29 yrs, and you don't need a Rid or a Nad ceritfcarte to be an interpreter.
Margie
i heard that either NAD or RID had changed new policy and new business.. is that true?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i heard that either NAD or RID had changed new policy and new business.. is that true?
Are you referring to the combining of their certification tests? Yes, they are doing that.

Yeah they're whurling their old policies together and offering it out as smoothies for the new terps.

Richard

Margie said:
Margie

Are you sure you are ASL interpreter? I've read your grammer over and over. I've noticed ya misspell alot. RID and NAD are correction, not Rid and Nad.

Yes, You need to have RID certification to interpreting at Doctor office, Hospital, court, and more. Sound like you do not know much about RID and NAD rules. I have alot of hearing friends who have RID certification. They taught me what the rules because I want to get CDI certification.

Last edited:
Margie said:
Margie

My mother's in the process of taking up the RID certification test as she was informed that interpreters are required by law to pass RID certification before they can interpret in professional positions.
Mum became an interpreter when she found out I was deaf over 30 years ago, but she only learnt SEE and back then there were no requirements of any qualifications or certifications. But nowadays, it's required as new laws have been passed to ensure interpreters are certified.

The proffesional interpreters are expensive!!

I don't believe that the deaf and hard of hearing should have to pay alot of money for an interpreter!!
They all can't afford it.
I've known ASL for 29yrs, and don't charge alot for my interpreting.
I'm cheap!!
$10.00 an hour.
Margie
Director of Communation Services
OCDAC

Margie said:
I don't believe that the deaf and hard of hearing should have to pay alot of money for an interpreter!!
They all can't afford it.
I've known ASL for 29yrs, and don't charge alot for my interpreting.
I'm cheap!!
$10.00 an hour.
Margie
Director of Communation Services
OCDAC

I work for a private interpreting agency. They charge more per hour because the interpreting staff needs to make a decent living. However, in 99.9% of the appointments, the Deaf and HOH are not charged for the service. The doctor, lawyer, hospital, employer, government agency, school, VR, etc., pay for the terp. Off-duty, I interpret for free, no charge, for church, weddings, funerals, social activities, etc.

Becoming a professional terp is not cheap. The education (college degree), certification (study materials, tests), professional membership fees (RID, NAD, etc.), continuing workshops (including travel), etc., are very expensive.

Lianca said:
They taught me what the rules because I want to get CDI certification.

I hope you do become a CDI. They perform a very important function in the interpreting process.

It's so nice of you to volunteer your skills, Reba.
I have always respected you, and it just went up another notch.
:P

Beowulf said:
It's so nice of you to volunteer your skills, Reba.
I have always respected you, and it just went up another notch.
:P
Thank you. :P I appreciate your kind words but I must be honest and say that I am not the only terp who volunteers time. Many, many terps do the same. I enjoy interpreting, all the opportunities, and even the challenges.

I'm an interpreter

I've know sign lanugage (ASL) for 29yrs.And I'm an interpreter too.
Most all interpreters are very expensive, they charge $25.00 an hour and up
I'm cheaper than that I charge $10.00 an hour.
Some doctor's offices have computers so the deaf can comunitcate.
And you don't need A RID to be an interpreter!!
Whoever told you all that lied.
Margie Gartez
Dir. of Commuicaton Services
OCDAC

Back