High Frequencies and Dizziness

Maybe a side effect of some of your new medication?

If not possible maybe you should go to an ER to rule out the possibility of stroke. Not to be alarmist but dizziness is one of the signs. Sorry.

thanks, bott. i don't think it's my new meds because i've been on them for a few weeks now and from what i understand none of them cause dizziness as a side effect.

i'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if the dizziness subsides. if not, i will definitely go to the ER.

It could also be an ear infection, even though you said you weren't running a fever. They can play havoc with your balance/equilibrium.

that's a possibility -- although at the moment i am not experiencing any pain.

Hear Again,

Sorry, I've been away from the computer pushing snow off the driveway.

Do you have manual controls on your CI?
If you start pressing buttons, that is the Sensitivity setting. Press and hold the up or down button for about 3-5 seconds and you may hear a beep. That starts the volume adjustment. I can't remember how to go back to the audi settings. I thought it was press and hold program/power and one of the volume buttons but all I can ever make happen is turning on or off the lock feature.

I don't think the equilization test is what they call it but my audi has me compare 3 electrodes next to each other to see if they are about the same amplitude. If they are, we go on from the 3rd one up two more to make sure they are about the same. She typically starts at the low frequency and works to the high frequency. If I have an electrode that I feel, we turn it down. This is kind of the last step before she goes into the base volume setting and sensitivity and writes the program.

As far as your dizzyness, start keeping track of what you eat. I have Menieres as well but don't get the dizzyness that bad since I lost my hearing. I know there is always the possibility that what ever took my hearing, may go after my balance nerves.

Stuff I try to stay away from are Caffenee, Salt, Smoking and Alcohol. The last two I don't partake in. I try to keep my sodium intake under 3000mg/day but the Dr's say 2000. It is awfully hard for me to stay under 2000. Caffenee, I try my best to stay away from but when I eat out, I normally drink Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. I use to be on a dieretic/water pill when we were trying to control my hearing loss from progressing. Salt of course causes more water retention is what I understand and that can agravate hearing.

Some say that Lemons are a natural dieretic. I'll let you do your own searching. A web site you may want to do some research on is Menieres.org.

Steve

I had thought of Meneire's too, as I also have it, and since you also have had bouts of tinnitus, that is a possibility. Sodium intake is the worst for meniere's but as SteveESP52 has mentioned, caffeine, alcohol, etc can be triggers. There is no fever, no pain, etc with it and it is not easy to diagnose. I would leave that as a distant possibility for now though as it could be so many other things. Best thing is to see your doctor so he/she can find out what is going on. If it is not physical, then back to the audi for some fine tuning.

I experinced dizziness/faint spells when i was first activicated it carried on until my one month post switch on. That day they turned off 4 of my electrodes after sweep test. I had no problems since.

I had ear infection without pain!!

Hope you get bottom of this.

steve,

thanks for your reply.

i can't manipulate the controls on my ci's because of my cts.

as for caffeine and sodium intake, i don't eat alot of sodium and as far as caffeine is concerned, i only drink 1-2 12 oz. cans of soda per day. today i didn't have any soda at all because of how dizzy i felt (and still am).

I had thought of Meneire's too, as I also have it, and since you also have had bouts of tinnitus, that is a possibility. Sodium intake is the worst for meniere's but as SteveESP52 has mentioned, caffeine, alcohol, etc can be triggers. There is no fever, no pain, etc with it and it is not easy to diagnose. I would leave that as a distant possibility for now though as it could be so many other things. Best thing is to see your doctor so he/she can find out what is going on. If it is not physical, then back to the audi for some fine tuning.

i'm going to see my audi first to find out whether or not the dizziness can be resolved with a new map. if not, i'll see my doctor.

I experinced dizziness/faint spells when i was first activicated it carried on until my one month post switch on. That day they turned off 4 of my electrodes after sweep test. I had no problems since.

I had ear infection without pain!!

Hope you get bottom of this.

i just woke up from a nap thinking that might help, but it didn't.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dizziness. (hugs)

I hope you get can get this sorted soon. It sounds like you are going through a really hard time. What with your hands and now the dizziness too.

steve,

thanks for your reply.

i can't manipulate the controls on my ci's because of my cts.

as for caffeine and sodium intake, i don't eat alot of sodium and as far as caffeine is concerned, i only drink 1-2 12 oz. cans of soda per day. today i didn't have any soda at all because of how dizzy i felt (and still am).

One of the first things you learn when you have Meniere's is that there is a lot of hidden sodium in your diet. Almost all foods have sodium in them naturally and then there are processed foods. Most sodas contain at least 35mg of sodium per 8 fluid ounces. Just an example of "hidden" sodium. Most people think that if they don't use a salt shaker there isn't any sodium. Two of the worst culprits are chinese foods (soy sauce is really high in sodium) and Pizza...just one slice can contain the full intake of sodium for the day for a person on a low sodium diet. As for caffeine, it can be hidden also. Dark chocolate, for example, is really high in caffeine. Lucky for me, caffeine is not one of my triggers. :)
Sorry..I know it is kind of off topic, but it is something I live with every day.

thanks, et.

i should mention that i've been sneezing pretty violently for the past several minutes to the point where it hurts. also the left side of my nose feels like it's running while the right side feels stuffed up. i really hope this isn't the beginning of a URI because after the last one i had, i was sick for 2 weeks. :(

URI ? what that means!

the sneezing fit u got alarmed me..b/c I had the same on holidays...a strong fit that I actually had as an after effect that strongest headache I'd ever had!! I thought it was a pretty violent allergy fit...
right now I'm pretty much scared and wondering what URI means! :roll:

URI ? what that means!

the sneezing fit u got alarmed me..b/c I had the same on holidays...a strong fit that I actually had as an after effect that strongest headache I'd ever had!! I thought it was a pretty violent allergy fit...
right now I'm pretty much scared and wondering what URI means! :roll:

oh, sorry about that vivie. i didn't mean to frighten you. URI stands for
upper respiratory tract infection.

you can learn more about it here:

Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

vivie,

i have year round allergies, but i don't know if that's the culprit. i tried taking an extra dose of my allergy med hoping that would help the sneezing and congestion, but it hasn't.

the good news though is now that i'm not wearing my ci's, i'm no longer dizzy.

I'm glad removing CI has helped with your dizziness. Do you think you will get used to the quiet?

How long will it take you to sort out this problem?

I'm glad removing CI has helped with your dizziness. Do you think you will get used to the quiet?

How long will it take you to sort out this problem?

i'll probably adjust to the silence eventually, but as of now, i'm still not used to it.

i'm hoping to call my audi later today to arrange an appointment for a mapping asap. if the mapping doesn't help and i'm still experiencing dizziness when i wear my ci's, i might see my ci surgeon.

in fact, i might send him an e-mail to find out if he has any suggestions as to what might be happening.

something else i noticed earlier is that the sound on my computer speakers doesn't sound right. it's distorted and doesn't sound as clear as it normally does. the same is true for the tv and radio.

Back