Help me to be able to help deafblind friend

Sxyporkie,
So she's deaf first, and blind as a secondary disabilty? Maybe hook her up with a Deafblind social services agency? This sort of thing is actually not that unusual.....people being resistant to "special" equiptment, methodologies etc.
I remmy Lady Duke saying that when she was in school, she was VERY resistant to learning Braille and other "blind" interventions, but she's now glad that she got that sort of stuff. Has she always been blind? Maybe she just never got the proper training etc.

Sxyporkie,
So she's deaf first, and blind as a secondary disabilty? Maybe hook her up with a Deafblind social services agency? This sort of thing is actually not that unusual.....people being resistant to "special" equiptment, methodologies etc.
I remmy Lady Duke saying that when she was in school, she was VERY resistant to learning Braille and other "blind" interventions, but she's now glad that she got that sort of stuff. Has she always been blind? Maybe she just never got the proper training etc.

Clearly you had not read my posts... ofc she was deaf first... then blind.. she was trained to do stuffs... she neglected the training and co-depended on her three boy friends... now she is trying to latch on me.. i said no... i ask her to go back and re learn the basic training... her two brothers and sister also are deafblind ... they live on their own....

you always acted you know all things... even with your big words.. most of them are nonsense.... you have not been in real life.. you had not socialize with deafblind... go and socialize and learn...

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE... no big words will do for you...

She sounds very lonely. Why doesn't she hook up with a friend that is also deaf-blind? That way she will have company and someone to teach her how to do stuff. I mean if I were to lose my sight, I would be crazy with lonliness. No tv and not able to get online. I would love to know how does deaf-blind read stuff online. What is a good link to stuff for deaf-blind? Also is there alot of books in braille? How difficult or easy is it to find books in braille??? I tried to feel the braille but those bumps are too small!

Hi, sxypokie how are you doing? I didnt hear from you for long time. I am sorry about your friend is helpless. you are blessed that you helped her or still help her. Smile

but is she can cooking? just wonder, if she cant that why need someone to help her around the house and live with her.. but if i were u, i would like help someone and i dont mind but NOT all the time.. and i think better for her go back class and train again

You're right. She needs to learn to handle things on her own or she should be placed in a special home for people like her.

but is she can cooking? just wonder, if she cant that why need someone to help her around the house and live with her.. but if i were u, i would like help someone and i dont mind but NOT all the time.. and i think better for her go back class and train again

Yes she can cook good.. I had eaten her supper...

First, and I say this with as much force as possible, you shouldn't be anything other than a friend for her. Friends don't help you grocery shopping or cleaning the house on a regular basis (although they might if you're dead in bed with the cold) Don't -ever- allow her to take advantage of your kindness.

For grocery shopping, she can ask any agency that serves the deafblind in your area about getting a SSP for basic errands. They may run on a system of alloted visits/time per month, for things banking, shopping, and the like. An SSP is neither an interpreter nor a human guide dog, so this assumes she'll be smart enough to relearn safe travel and effective communication.

In regards to losing training.. well, that's just sad. At the end of the day, though, that's her choice. If she makes the choice to not be able to go out to the park alone, to not be able to care for herself, to not be able to work.. well, that's going to be her problem.

If she's smart enough to try and change it, she can get more training. If a local program isn't 'cutting it' there are many long term (several month) intensive training programs. If there's anything that a 6 month period of living with all blind people, working with all blind instructors, and being forced to do it by yourself teaches you.. it's that the only limit in blindness is your own lack of faith in yourself.

Above all, anyone around her must keep in mind that as deafblind people, we can go to school and keep jobs and raise a family without nursing or caring for. It's scary as hell most of the time, and it's rough- it requires working ten times as hard to do even basic things- but at the end of the day, your only choice is adapting to your situation or letting yourself enjoy life as much as the average rock does.

I am deaf-blind (usher's Syndrome)
I am lonely
I am no friend, I am never married
I lost Job but first time, Dirtor of IT, love me, fired him, second, he is red-vision, he like me best than hearing, i got International Award in 2000 at Washington D.C. cancelled US of Pridsent, he went to Camp of David, MD for problem East-Middle.
he quit, 3rd Dirtor of IT know I am best, then Hearing, his wife was emergency, he quit, no director, hearing is no boss, he got boss, then supervisor, then director, he make hell to me, cheats, limit, more limit me, meeting room, he told VP, i am slow, VP said layoff me, why?????

I am no feeling, lonely, nothing but I have own new beautful conbo last year same time I moved it,

any help me?
I wish job, new friends, married, enjoy

I am lonely
I lost Job but first time, Dirtor of IT, love me, fired him, second, he is red-vision, he like me best than hearing, i got International Award in 2000 at Washington D.C. cancelled US of Pridsent, he went to Camp of David, MD for problem East-Middle.
he quit, 3rd Dirtor of IT know I am best, then Hearing, his wife was emergency, he quit, no director, hearing is no boss, he got boss, then supervisor, then director, he make hell to me, cheats, limit, more limit me, meeting room, he told VP, i am slow, VP said layoff me, why?????

I am no feeling, lonely, nothing but I have own new beautful conbo last year same time I moved it,

any help me?

Could somebody please translate this for me? I cannot understand this post. I am very confused.

I agree with Doug5. Maybe you should see if she is depressed and have that treated first. When people are depressed they have little/no motivation to do anything. If she has Depression and gets it treated, then maybe her motivation to learn Orientation and Mobility (blind skills) will naturally develop.

Buffalo, some answers to your questions. Blind and Deafblind can browse the Internet. We use screen reader and speech or Braille display to do everything on the computer. For reading, the NLS
( Home Page of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped ) mails books in audio, Braille or large print for free to anyone registered legally blind or unable to read print for whatever other reason.

Here is another website you can check out: www.deafblind.com

I don't know about T.V. because I don't watch T.V. Never had much interest. :) Hope that answered some of your questions.

-Nika

What about contacting your state's Dept. of Human Services? They have a lot of resources available, including looking into assisted living, providing volunteers that can grocery shop and clean, an on-call nurse that can check on her to make sure she is alright, etc.? The state can possibly do quite a bit to help her. If you need help with this, let me know what state you/she is in and I can get you numbers to call and let them take it from here.

I am lonely

any help me?

first and foremost, if you're feeling depressed, i would contact your local 211 hotline or crisis number to be referred to a counselor.

from there, i would contact your local state vocational rehabilitation center or the helen keller national center (hknc) for deafblind related resources in your area.

I am lonely

any help me?

lucia,

a rough translation is that this poster is deafblind, lonely, never married, lost his/her job 3 times and wishes to have a new job, friends, marriage and enjoyment. during a conversation he/she had with the (director? -- i couldn't tell this from the post) via vp, they were told that they were slow. vp responded by telling them to "lay off."

if i am wrong about that, i hope the the op will correct me.

lucia,

a rough translation is that this poster is deafblind, lonely, never married, lost his/her job 3 times and wishes to have a new job, friends, marriage and enjoyment. during a conversation he/she had with the (director? -- i couldn't tell this from the post) via vp, they were told that they were slow. vp responded by telling them to "lay off."

Hear Again, thank you for your translation. I still do not understand some of the post, but that is okay. I know you tried the best you can.

I still do not understand parts of this paragraph. I have highlighted what I do not understand in bold (I wonder if your braille reader can pick up bold print?):

What does he mean, "red-vision"? That is a term I have never ever heard of. Is that related to blindness?

What does he mean, "cancelled US of President". I do not understand.

If you can't translate/explain, that is okay. I hope someone else can help me with this post. I am still confused.

And, Hear Again, I am happy to hear from you again. I haven't heard from you in quite a while, and I was starting to get concerned. Please update me in PM if you can.

211?? I never it
Yes, vocational rehabilitation (DOR) since last year, nothing..
HKNC is not support Job Center, only independent Living. few deaf-blind went HKNC, done then they are very angry from HKNC is nothing for job. they stay home all time

first and foremost, if you're feeling depressed, i would contact your local 211 hotline or crisis number to be referred to a counselor.

from there, i would contact your local state vocational rehabilitation center or the helen keller national center (hknc) for deafblind related resources in your area.

you are correct, why hearing and deaf people are very bored deaf-blind people. past, I can chat and fast sign language, dvd movie's subtitle later I lost vision, I can't watch fast sign language, again slow, again slow, etc. deaf and ASL students are bored me. I am no longer go theate movie, I can't read subtitle without sold black background. few year, I can read CC but now, big problem read between CC and View, like my eye look up then down then up etc.. :roll:

why people don't like meet deaf-blind???

lucia,

Back