Hello im new to AllDeaf and would like some feedback

Cool! Best wishes with your CI team meeting on 4th October. They are all good brands so you probably won't go too far wrong with any of them :)

Surgery before an MRI

I have some questions to aske the CI Team next week but 2 0ut of the top 3 implants require surgery to remove the magnet prior to having an MRI what do you do if your in an emergancy room and can't speak for your self. Do you all wear Med-Alert braclets letting them know you have a CI and what kind its just 1 question I have for the team I guess. I don't want to make up my mind based on the fear of a magnet having to be removed for an MRI aslong as the ER staff can find out. All 3 implants look so good and have unique features its hard to make this choice I guess I will see what answers the team gives me on the 4th.

Thank You All Don

I have some questions to aske the CI Team next week but 2 0ut of the top 3 implants require surgery to remove the magnet prior to having an MRI what do you do if your in an emergancy room and can't speak for your self. Do you all wear Med-Alert braclets letting them know you have a CI and what kind its just 1 question I have for the team I guess. I don't want to make up my mind based on the fear of a magnet having to be removed for an MRI aslong as the ER staff can find out. All 3 implants look so good and have unique features its hard to make this choice I guess I will see what answers the team gives me on the 4th.

Thank You All Don

Yes, I have a medic alert bracelet which says "Cochlear implant - no MRI".

In any case, I've been told it's very unlikely for them to just rush you in for an MRI when you are unconscious - they usually resort to other xrays because of the growing population that has some sort of implant or device inside their bodies e.g. screws.

It sounds like it's going to be a hard choice for you. Didn't your team initially recommend the Med-El to begin with because people with your condition have done well with it? There is a poster here called Deafskeptic who has a Med-El and she is doing really well with it.

Don,

Good Luck with the CI team on Oct 4th. If you do get a CI a medic alert bracelet would be a good idea. I have one and it says Cochlear Implant Right Ear. Everyone with a CI is given a card saying they have an implant. I carry mine with me. It would be a good idea to keep it near your health insurance card or drivers license. It would also be nice if the agencies responsible for issuing drivers licenses provided a sticker that would indicate one had a CI.

If your CI team gives you a choice of devices you also want to consider which device feels the most comfortable and which one you won't mind seeing attached to your head. If your CI team feels one device would work better for you than the others I would go with that one.

Hi DizzyDon68, I was reading your post and I read your little story at the end of your posts (signature) and realize that we share the same doctor in London. Thats cool lol. Anyway that is good u are thinking of everything before you go ahead with the surgery, they will ask u alot of questions there and do some tests to make sure u are qualified for it which i am sure u already know by now. They even did a psychologist evaluation with me but I don't know if they will do that to everybody or not because I have other problems so they wanted to make sure I would be ok with it if my implant did fail. But anyway I wish u luck.

As for the other poster, I read that someone said that the dr that is seeing him was probably not a ci doctor, but I'm going to let ya know that Dr. Parnes is a CI doctor, he works with ci surgeries and stuff.

Ohh before I post this, I want to add, about MRI and medic alert bracelets, you should have one in case something happen like accident or whatever so emergency officers will know if u happen to not be able to communicate with them. I have one, but I don't have the habit of wearing them. I should start wearing them, as I started working in a warehouse and i should wear it in case something happen to me, but I have other things like allergy and asthma as well as ci. But anyway back to the point, they (the doctors) will recommend you to wear it but it is not required.

I had my meeting with a member of the CI team

Well today was my big day I met a member of the CI team and she answered all my questions and the and they use the Med-EL alot on people with Meniere's Disease reason being the tinnitus. I am getting the Med-EL OPAS 3 and now im just on the waiting list for the surgery I don't have high expectations with the CI I would like to hear people speak to me again my kids most of all. The lady could not beleive how fast im learning how to lipread even though there are days its very frustrating for me but I can't give up on myself this is who I am now. I am so happy I found this site you have given me answers and support in time of need and I can't thank you enough for that. There is 1 thing I had to tell my daughter somthing she didn't want to hear is that im deaf and I always will be deaf the poor kid was under the impression that after I get the CI I wont be deaf anymore. The lady from the team thought it would be a good idea to have family scoical worker come in and talk to her and I so im going to do that.

Again thank you all so much Don :ty:

Well today was my big day I met a member of the CI team and she answered all my questions and the and they use the Med-EL alot on people with Meniere's Disease reason being the tinnitus. I am getting the Med-EL OPAS 3 and now im just on the waiting list for the surgery I don't have high expectations with the CI I would like to hear people speak to me again my kids most of all. The lady could not beleive how fast im learning how to lipread even though there are days its very frustrating for me but I can't give up on myself this is who I am now. I am so happy I found this site you have given me answers and support in time of need and I can't thank you enough for that. There is 1 thing I had to tell my daughter somthing she didn't want to hear is that im deaf and I always will be deaf the poor kid was under the impression that after I get the CI I wont be deaf anymore. The lady from the team thought it would be a good idea to have family scoical worker come in and talk to her and I so im going to do that.

Again thank you all so much Don :ty:

Glad you successfully made your choice - it will be good to have another Med-El user on the board!

You will find the lipreading skill will help you in the rehabilitation process after the CI is turned on. Sorry to hear about the daughter's disappointment but she will get over it and accept it in time. It's great that the CI team is helping you organise a social worker to help her adjust her expectations. It sounds like you have a supportive team! :)

Back