Hello im new to AllDeaf and would like some feedback

I guess Don will have to clarify that. He said semed like it would be worth it for his kids because they don't have any idea their dad is deaf. Looks like we simply read it two different ways.

Yes I agree - I just found it interesting that you had a different reading that didn't occur to me. If he personally didn't want a CI but was only doing it to make his children feel less ashamed of him, then I'd be the first one to talk him out of it. I suppose also he probably was thinking about the practicality of communication with the kids as well - without a CI they'd all have to learn sign language, which might be harder to do in older kids than starting from baby/toddler level. I think that forming a parental attachment to them again after all those years apart is going to take time.

Anyway, I won't try and read his mind any further! I think it shows that people reading the same words can come away with a different impression or intepretation.

Yes I agree - I just found it interesting that you had a different reading that didn't occur to me. If he personally didn't want a CI but was only doing it to make his children feel less ashamed of him, then I'd be the first one to talk him out of it. I suppose also he probably was thinking about the practicality of communication with the kids as well - without a CI they'd all have to learn sign language, which might be harder to do in older kids than starting from baby/toddler level. I think that forming a parental attachment to them again after all those years apart is going to take time.

Anyway, I won't try and read his mind any further! I think it shows that people reading the same words can come away with a different impression or intepretation.

I'd say that chances are pretty good that we are both right, and he has thought of all these things!

Well Jillo and R2D2

Well in some ways your both right my biggest problem here is with Childrens Aid Scociaty its like they have more porwer then the police do. I had my first contact with my oldest daughter when she was 14 as my ex-father inlaw gave her my phone number. I faught with them in courte and and only just recently had visitaion and this next long weekend will be the first time in 7 years 1 of my kids have slept under my roof. When I lost my hearing in April they where thinking of stoping my visits but my daughter Ialready prepared her for this she knew my risks of the surgery. With the other 3 children ages 10, 12 and 14 I think that Childrens Aid should be helping them understand me and teach them sign language. I am getting the implant to make my life better aswell as to fight in courte again I want my kds back my exwife did enough damage to all our live just so she could run off to marrie another man with 5 kids. I have had no contact with these kids since 2000 I have no clue what lies my ex told them but things have changed but now I feel they just maybe hold my being deaf against me.

I just want my kids Don

Don,

There are several forums for people with cochlear implants or who are considering them. You might want to try the ci circle, the hearing exchange and/or **********2.com for starters. I also think that Cochlear Corp's website at cochlear.com has links to several forums for information and exchanges of ideas, stories, etc..
Best wishes,
Rick

PS Don't know why one of the sites was blacked out but if you PM me I'll send it to you.

Well in some ways your both right my biggest problem here is with Childrens Aid Scociaty its like they have more porwer then the police do. I had my first contact with my oldest daughter when she was 14 as my ex-father inlaw gave her my phone number. I faught with them in courte and and only just recently had visitaion and this next long weekend will be the first time in 7 years 1 of my kids have slept under my roof. When I lost my hearing in April they where thinking of stoping my visits but my daughter Ialready prepared her for this she knew my risks of the surgery. With the other 3 children ages 10, 12 and 14 I think that Childrens Aid should be helping them understand me and teach them sign language. I am getting the implant to make my life better aswell as to fight in courte again I want my kds back my exwife did enough damage to all our live just so she could run off to marrie another man with 5 kids. I have had no contact with these kids since 2000 I have no clue what lies my ex told them but things have changed but now I feel they just maybe hold my being deaf against me.

I just want my kids Don

I fully understand. You are certainly dealing with a lot of issues right now.

I completely agree with you. If Children's Aid had the kids best interest at heart, they would cedrtainly be taking steps to help them learn about deafness and find a program to teach them sign and where they could associate with other hearing chidlren of deaf parents. To even consider stopping your visits due to your illness is absurd.

Does the court system have a children's advocate for the kids?And how about you....I'm certain you have an attorney, but do you have an advocate for the deaf to help show the court that being deaf certainly does not mean not being able to be a parent?

Don,

There are several forums for people with cochlear implants or who are considering them. You might want to try the ci circle, the hearing exchange and/or **********2.com for starters. I also think that Cochlear Corp's website at cochlear.com has links to several forums for information and exchanges of ideas, stories, etc..
Best wishes,
Rick

PS Don't know why one of the sites was blacked out but if you PM me I'll send it to you.

He already has his info on CI, rick. He doesn't need a commercial. He obviously came to AD to get a balanced perspective, not a one sided one.

He already has his info on CI, rick. He doesn't need a commercial. He obviously came to AD to get a balanced perspective, not a one sided one.

Here's what he wrote:

"Sorry for the vent but I would like to know about the implant Don"

You cannot even stop being an ass when people are trying to help other forum members.

Don,

I thought you were looking for information on the implant and if not, then sorry but if you were, those sites should be a good starting point in your search.
Rick

Here's what he wrote:

"Sorry for the vent but I would like to know about the implant Don"

You cannot even stop being an ass when people are trying to help other forum members.

Don,

I thought you were looking for information on the implant and if not, then sorry but if you were, those sites should be a good starting point in your search.
Rick

Perhaps if you had read through all of the posts, you would understand that the "help" this poster is asking for has much more involved implication that simply advertising and extolling the virtues of CI. However, it is obvious, once again, that you have been blinded by the initials "CI" and can see no further than your desire to promote.

Perhaps if you had read through all of the posts, you would understand that the "help" this poster is asking for has much more involved implication that simply advertising and extolling the virtues of CI. However, it is obvious, once again, that you have been blinded by the initials "CI" and can see no further than your desire to promote.

See my comment about you in post #27 above.

Don..iam sorry that u are going through this and the vertigo sure doesn't sound easy to live with. I am not a CI user but I have met people who have CIs who have gotten them to help with vertigo and tinnatus problems. Some worked and some didn't. My aide (I am a teacher) got her CI cuz she had severe vertigo and after getting implanted, it was gone.

Also, I can't reccomend which brands work since I don't use CIs. Smile.

Good luck in your journey and especially in getting full custody of your children. It really sucks that the social services may use your deafness against u. I am profoundly deaf and raising my 2 children just fine and I am sure u already know that deaf people r capable of raising children just fine but it is apparent some people don't believe that.

BTW..:welcome: to AllDeaf!

Best wishes with the sleepover on the next long weekend Don - I bet you are really looking forward to that! Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure you know that building a relationship again will take time and lots of patience. It sounds like your ex-wife hasn't treated them very well so there is probably a lot of hurt there.

Yes, it doesn't surprise me what you said about the childrens' welfare authorities - it sounds like ours here! They require some people to jump through hoops to parent their children but then let others get away with killing them even after many warnings etc.

Best wishes!

Best wishes with the sleepover on the next long weekend Don - I bet you are really looking forward to that! Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure you know that building a relationship again will take time and lots of patience. It sounds like your ex-wife hasn't treated them very well so there is probably a lot of hurt there.

Yes, it doesn't surprise me what you said about the childrens' welfare authorities - it sounds like ours here! They require some people to jump through hoops to parent their children but then let others get away with killing them even after many warnings etc.

Best wishes!

Ditto...enjoy the long week end with your family!

Thankyou for the well wishes for this weekend I decided to buy 3 of the same sign language books so my daughter, girlfriend and I can learn together I think this maybe bring us closer and make my daughter more understanding. I also received the other information in the mail for the Bionic Ear and Freedom implants so there is a little bit of reading for me to do. I will make my choice as to what implant to get after I meet with Cochlear Implant Team I think hearing what they have to say would be in my best intrest don't you think Don

Thankyou for the well wishes for this weekend I decided to buy 3 of the same sign language books so my daughter, girlfriend and I can learn together I think this maybe bring us closer and make my daughter more understanding. I also received the other information in the mail for the Bionic Ear and Freedom implants so there is a little bit of reading for me to do. I will make my choice as to what implant to get after I meet with Cochlear Implant Team I think hearing what they have to say would be in my best intrest don't you think Don

That's a wonderful idea to involve her fromthe beginning in learning sign! I'll be anxious to hear how it went.

I had a great time with my daughter

My long weekend could not have been any better my daughter was so happy when I gave her a book on ASL she had to start learning how to finger spell right away lol. She also wanted to know more about the Cochler Imlants so she read the information on all 3 that I have and all she could say is thats so cool lol. I feel so much better that she does know im always going to be deaf and the CI is nothing more than an aid she is very understanding to my needs right now. She also told me that Childrens Aid Scociaty are moving foroward to grant me visitation with my other 3 children and they are going to explain to them that there dad is now deaf. I was so worried over this for nothing and did not know 1 of there case workers was deaf also using a CI so I worried over nothing. I am still trying to make up my mind on what brand of device im going with but there is lots of time and I still want to hear what the CI team has to say.
Thank You All Don

Wow that is fantastic! It sounds like things are going very well for you with you and your daughter with a shared project of learning ASL and going through the process of the CI with her. Wonderful also that one of the social workers is a deaf person with a CI, what a great role model and advocate. At least you won't have to argue about all the things that deaf people are capable of doing since her colleagues can just look at her LOL!

So happy that things are working out for you, Don! Hope it continues to get better and better.

Well I get to meet the CI team

Well after a little wait im going to meet with the Cochleart Team on Oct. 4th I don't know what to expect from them but I sure have alot of questions. With the top 3 implants and want to know more about each from them as I have done my research and I have to live with this this thing. I think its right that even though this wont cost me a dime I should get whats best for me atleast. I hope you all are doing well thank you so much Don

Back