Hear's my boy - Proud Mother of Issac

Well I don't think any sane intelligent hearie while listening to the way the oral deaf person speaks will expect a perfect speech. If it's a dumbo then let me tell you a dumbo will have a problem with everybody's speaking.

That is not my point. Deaf people tend to see it as beneficial, but it is VERY HARD. It is harder for a born-deaf person to learn to make sounds they can't hear.

And I agree. I am just saying when you are in minority ...

"It's better to have many tools in your communications toolbox than to have just one or a few." The classic oralist argument...

See this is where you sort of contradict yourself. You just agreed some (most?) deaf pple see it as beneficial. Now you say it's oralist's argument.

Try to understand - whoever argument it is, bottom line - IT IS beneficial to know oralism and if you are smart you will make your own choice pro-oral. You don't have to be fluent just enough to help you in crisis.

I think it would help if you distinguish between the oralism and it's benefits separately from another thing- pple who push oralism on deaf pple. It is very important disctinction.
lets agree- it's good to be oral but not good be forced to be oral at all cost. But to be oral is as you say to have more tools, and IMHO that's better..

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
Well I don't think any sane intelligent hearie while listening to the way the oral deaf person speaks will expect a perfect speech. If it's a dumbo then let me tell you a dumbo will have a problem with everybody's speaking.
You really need to get out more....
Audiofuzzy said:
And I agree. I am just saying when you are in minority ...
:confused:

Audiofuzzy said:
See this is where you sort of contradict yourself. You just agreed some (most?) deaf pple see it as beneficial. Now you say it's oralist's argument.
You took my quote out of context. The irony here is that oralists seem to focus more on speech than anything else, so they're focusing on ONE tool more than others...

Audiofuzzy said:
Try to understand - whoever argument it is, bottom line - IT IS beneficial to know oralism and if you are smart you will make your own choice pro-oral. You don't have to be fluent just enough to help you in crisis.

I think it would help if you distinguish between the oralism and it's benefits separately from another thing- pple who push oralism on deaf pple. It is very important disctinction.
Sure....
Audiofuzzy said:
lets agree- it's good to be oral but not good be forced to be oral at all cost. But to be oral is as you say to have more tools, and IMHO that's better..

Fuzzy
I didn't exactly say that. Again, you took it out of context.

"I never thought I'd tell a deaf kid to be quiet," she laughs. "It's amazing."
Duh, deaf kids are usually unaware of how much noise they're making simply because they're deaf.

Duh, deaf kids are usually unaware of how much noise they're making simply because they're deaf.[/QUOTE]

yes that is true but that is NOT why the mother said that.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:

Duh, deaf kids are usually unaware of how much noise they're making simply because they're deaf.

yes that is true but that is NOT why the mother said that.

Fuzzy
It just shows how ignorant hearing parents often are.

Last edited:
You're so obnoxious, GNU, and you don't even know it. You've been owned so many times and you don't even get it. Ten deaf friends and 1 year in the deaf culture > my life? Ten deaf friends and 1 year in the deaf culture > deaf people who grew up oral because they want to? Sure.

gnulinuxman said:
Audiofuzzy said:

If anything it shows that you just want to start yet another fight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what she meant. OY!

Will you PLEASE quit trying to start one arguement after another, especially when there is no need for one, and you are just being ignorant by intentionally taking things out of context.

Fragmenter said:
You're so obnoxious, GNU, and you don't even know it. You've been owned so many times and you don't even get it. Ten deaf friends and 1 year in the deaf culture > my life? Ten deaf friends and 1 year in the deaf culture > deaf people who grew up oral because they want to? Sure.
I'm so sick of you assuming I said that. Where did I ever say no deaf person would ever want to grow up orally??? DIRECT QUOTES AND LINKS TO MY POSTS WOULD BE NICE.

neecy said:
gnulinuxman said:
If anything it shows that you just want to start yet another fight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what she meant. OY!

Will you PLEASE quit trying to start one arguement after another, especially when there is no need for one, and you are just being ignorant by intentionally taking things out of context.
And you're no rocket scientist, I gather.

You and Audiofuzzy constantly take my quotes out of context.

All I'm gonna say is this:

I was worse than you when it came to cochlear implants but then I opened my eyes two weeks ago.

Ta ta, have a nice day ;) .

(smack up of the back of head) GNU!!!

You enjoy riling pple up, don't you :whistle:

You know damn well every deaf child parents know THAT. (deaf kids making lotsa noise).
Just wanted to stirr up a pot again, huh?

(sorry for the typos and what's not gotta hurry)
Fuzzy

:ugh: uh oh, another "my weinie is bigger than yours" contest underway! :popcorn:

well we covered almost everything.. the debate slowly's dying out.. so Gnu tried his best.
BTW it was supposed to be- "smack at the back.. etc". damn these migraines and time limited edit option!

I have another idea - what if we cover deaf parents for a change. Do the deaf parents force their kids at birth to ASL even if the kids cry they can hear and want to speak? how do you feel about that ;)

Fuzzy

Back