Hear's my boy - Proud Mother of Issac

Opal

Reaction score
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19092765%5E2862,00.html
Hear's my boy
Cheryl Critchley
11may06

WHEN Isaac was born severely to profoundly deaf, his mother thought he'd never attend a regular school.

Thanks largely to Blackburn's Taralye oral language centre for deaf children, mum Melinda's dream will come true.
Isaac's problems were picked up at seven months. He had hearing aids soon after and a cochlear implant in one ear at 21 months. Within six months he could say 100 words.

"Now he can hear all speech," Melinda said.

"He's doing really well. We're really grateful to be in a country that has all these things that we can access so quickly and so easily."

In less than two years Isaac, 4, will follow brothers Joshua, 11, Benjamin, 8, and Samuel 6, to Ringwood North Primary, something Melinda and her

husband Peter initially thought would be impossible.

Taralye and Ringwood North Primary are both raising money for deaf children's services on Loud Shirt Day, Friday, May 12.

By wearing loud shirts and making a donation, people and organisations can help children like Isaac have a sound-filled future. Groups can register at www.loudshirtday.com.au

The family is grateful for all Taralye's help.

Best of all, Melinda now hears Isaac tell her he loves her.

"For my birthday this year he sang Happy Birthday to me," she said.

Mum is also grateful that she has to tell her son off occasionally.

"I never thought I'd tell a deaf kid to be quiet," she laughs. "It's amazing."

Two of my hearing daughters went to Taralye Kindergarten to mix with few deaf children several years ago!

That story happens more often than not. My son's class is composed of 10 hearing impaired peers and out of that group, 3 has a cochlear implant. We have personally witnessed a dramatic improvement in all aspects of their lives. Their parents kept repeating that they couldn't have asked for more :) It's always inspiring when children overachieves.

Thanks for the story :cheers:

It s no difference between HA deaf and CI deaf children as far as I know it so. I dont need to see a big drama over it because they dont speak for their children but themselves.. I dont appreciate those exaggerated people are doing it all the time..

GUESS what audiologist tells me the truth that this person says It s no BIG difference between HA and CI devices..

What a very sad for people to believe everything in CI! Because I do believe people with a failure CI before the parents words.

Good luck whoever decide to have CI device.. I m not gonna to waste of my time and money on them since it s more of PUPPET as a deaf child that turns me in big time.

It seems that it s not good enough for those people who have been worked so hard with their speech therapy for years and years that is not gonna to make a big difference anyhow.

I actually feel sorry for the parents who fall for it and will realize it later when time comes. ;)

Have a great day!
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
It s no difference between HA deaf and CI deaf children as far as I know it so. I dont need to see a big drama over it because they dont speak for their children but themselves.. I dont appreciate those exaggerated people are doing it all the time..

GUESS what audiologist tells me the truth that this person says It s no BIG difference between HA and CI devices..

What a very sad for people to believe everything in CI! Because I do believe people with a failure CI before the parents words.

Good luck whoever decide to have CI device.. I m not gonna to waste of my time and money on them since it s more of PUPPET as a deaf child that turns me in big time.

It seems that it s not good enough for those people who have been worked so hard with their speech therapy for years and years that is not gonna to make a big difference anyhow.

I actually feel sorry for the parents who fall for it and will realize it later when time comes. ;)

Have a great day!
Sweetmind

I having CI soon and thank you for the luck. But don't you waste one minute worrying about me and if I post thread about it, be respectful to me and I will you. You also have a good day too.

Both Gnu and Sweetmind are extremely disrespectful:

Good bye! it is so worthless topic here..

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=28171

If I had a deaf child and meet Gnulinuxman and Sweetmind and lsitened to their narrow minded opinions and witnessed this rudeness,
I would run away from deaf community, deaf culture AFAP and never allowed my child to have any contact with it.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
Both Gnu and Sweetmind are extremely disrespectful:

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=28171

If I had a deaf child and meet Gnulinuxman and Sweetmind and lsitened to their narrow minded opinions and witnessed this rudeness,
I would run away from deaf community, deaf culture AFAP and never allowed my child to have any contact with it.

Fuzzy

And yet they complain that hearing parents of deaf children don't want to become more involved with the deaf community. They'd be better off tying a raw steak to their child's neck and putting him in a den of wolves.

I know I only speak for myself - but I apologize to any hearing parents who come to this forum and meet that kind of attitude - PLEASE - not everybody is like that.

And yet they complain that hearing parents of deaf children don't want to become more involved with the deaf community.

That's the whole irony of it. If it wasn't so sad I would laugh.

Gnu and Sweetmind are the most put-off deaf pple in this entire website.
It is THEIR fault pple like you and me, hearing pple, hearing parents with deaf children DO NOT WANT to get involved with deaf culture.
They (gnu and SM) give really really bad example of what it is like to be deaf. Narrow minded, stubborn, unapprecciative, manipulative. They only say what THEY want, and disregard what anybody else is saying. ESPECIALLY when it disagree with their views.

If I haven't meet Angel, Cherie, Deafdyke, Liebling and many other "normal" deaf pple then I wouldn't know the truth about deaf world.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:

It is THEIR fault pple like you and me, hearing pple, hearing parents with deaf children DO NOT WANT to get involved with deaf culture.
They (gnu and SM) give really really bad example of what it is like to be deaf. Narrow minded, stubborn, unapprecciative, manipulative. They only say what THEY want, and disregard what anybody else is saying. ESPECIALLY when it disagree with their views.

If I haven't meet Angel, Cherie, Deafdyke, Liebling and many other "normal" deaf pple then I wouldn't know the truth about deaf world.

Fuzzy

I know what you mean - while sometimes I have disagreements with Cherie and Deafdyke, I respect them tremendously. They're educated, well informed, fun, and enjoy hearing their input and debating with them even if we dont' agree -I'd say that everybody get sto see different viewpoints, and thats part of what being in a forum is all about.

I'll say this much - if I had encountered Sweetmind and Gnu's type before I applied to RIT/NTID I'd have been too scared to even think of it!!! As it was, going from a hearing environment to a mostly-deaf (at least in the dorms and some classes) one was nervewracking enough without thinking that everybody would see me (because I was oral) as the devil incarnate.

:repost: Not that you'll read this, but this is why I feel the way I do:

NOT ALL implantees are cut off from Deaf Culture. SOME are. SOME have parents who don't care about Deaf Culture. SOME parents implanted their children so they wouldn't have to sign.

If you're a parent, this may be hard to comprehend, but SOME parents don't love their children enough to do what's best for child and just do what's convenient for the parent. It's a sad world, but you can't go assuming we said ALL parents are bad, nor can you assume that all parents love their kids. The fact is that some don't.

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy
Are you aware that I'm hearing?

Tamara said:
........"I never thought I'd tell a deaf kid to be quiet," she laughs. "It's amazing."

We have felt the same way. Telling them to shut up is really funny...

Another amazing "feature" is continuing talking even when the CI is off.

:) Now that is something the doctors never warned us about!! :)

gnulinuxman said:
Are you aware that I'm hearing?
He and she is.... but that's not the point. Treating everybody equal here....

Strange feeling?

Back