Hear's my boy - Proud Mother of Issac

Sweetmind said:
It s no difference between HA deaf and CI deaf children as far as I know it so. I dont need to see a big drama over it because they dont speak for their children but themselves.. I dont appreciate those exaggerated people are doing it all the time..

GUESS what audiologist tells me the truth that this person says It s no BIG difference between HA and CI devices..
"As far as I know it so.."... yes I would agree with you. "As far as you know" and you just showed you don't.
I really thought you could be happy for these children, but you seem to be incapable to that. Instead of ranting against the parents, you could visit the children and teach them ASL. That would be a constructive thing to do..

Oh, and I would love to have the address of "your" audiologist. Can you please forward that to me. Would really like to have some professional advise.
Sweetmind said:
..... I m not gonna to waste of my time and money on them since it s more of PUPPET as a deaf child that turns me in big time.
It wouldn't take much to do that.... but do you mean that a child with CI is like a puppet?... Please explain about that. It's very *258*
Sweetmind said:
It seems that it s not good enough for those people who have been worked so hard with their speech therapy for years and years that is not gonna to make a big difference anyhow.

I actually feel sorry for the parents who fall for it and will realize it later when time comes. ;)

Have a great day!
Sweetmind
What seems not good enough. Your speaking in riddles. We have to guess what you mean?
Please explain what is not good enough?

Sweetmind said:
It seems that it s not good enough for those people who have been worked so hard with their speech therapy for years and years that is not gonna to make a big difference anyhow.

I actually feel sorry for the parents who fall for it and will realize it later when time comes.

Have a great day!
Sweetmind
She is saying that she has seen many kids who have gone through tons and tons of oralist speech therapy and failed. She thinks it was a massive waste of time and believes the time would have been better-spent on reading and writing. (She has experience in working with deaf education, so she does know what she is talking about.)

She was also saying she feels sorry for the families who got suckered into believing that this would actually work perfectly.

She does make sense here. Just think about what she's saying--she does have quite a few valid points.

gnulinuxman said:
She is saying that she has seen many kids who have gone through tons and tons of oralist speech therapy and failed. She thinks it was a massive waste of time and believes the time would have been better-spent on reading and writing. (She has experience in working with deaf education, so she does know what she is talking about.)

She was also saying she feels sorry for the families who got suckered into believing that this would actually work perfectly.

She does make sense here. Just think about what she's saying--she does have quite a few valid points.
I admire you for finding so much sense in it. If she would only be so clear.....

There are very good oportunities to avoid "kids who have gone through tons and tons of oralist speech therapy and failed".
Now what would they be..... ASL would help communication between deaf, but that the language of a minority. Cozy, friendly etc, but still a minority.
Now, what would be the other option....

She does have a FEW valid points, not all the time though,
and unfortunately she is pushing it aggressively down our throats despite of what SUBJECT we are currently discussing, and despite our ACKNOWLEDGING she 's got the point. On top of that she is being very rude calling us audist constantly and things like " worthless thread". It is especially aggressive whenever she is being pointed out she might not be 100% right.

She went berserk (if you ask me) with this, she seem not be able to talk about ANYTHING else and she does not accept the fact that she possibly can be wrong at some point.

I can understand that it can be better to teach to read and write well instead of 'creating' someone oral.

But a little oralism is not bad either, ya know, the solution is to find middle ground which is not easy, never easy.
It is especially hard to work it out with children because they do not know how to convey their feelings, and do not know what is best for them. They will naturally avoind hard work, unless it is exciting for them.

My friend's daughter opposed very strongly when her mom signed her up at French immersion school. ( Canada is bilingual). There were tears, rebellion, screams and fights at the beginning and troughout the whole school frequent complains "why do I have to..".
We live in English speaking province. Many years later she thanked her mom for doing this, for she was choosen over other applicants while applying for a job, because she could speak both languages.

Think about it before going extreme.

Fuzzy

Are you aware that I'm hearing?

yes, yet reading your posts I tend to forget that.
But you know what - if I was a parent of a deaf child and met YOU I would run away screaming all the same. maybe even further away.
I would assume this is what the deaf culture does to you.

Fuzzy

Mum is also grateful that she has to tell her son off occasionally.

"I never thought I'd tell a deaf kid to be quiet," she laughs. "It's amazing."

This made me laugh! Just last week I told my Dad he had his TV turned up too loud!!!!! He just looked at me and laughed!

Cloggy said:
I admire you for finding so much sense in it. If she would only be so clear.....
I agree that she does need to be clearer too.
Cloggy said:
There are very good oportunities to avoid "kids who have gone through tons and tons of oralist speech therapy and failed".
Now what would they be..... ASL would help communication between deaf, but that the language of a minority. Cozy, friendly etc, but still a minority.
Now, what would be the other option....
How about ASL and English in the US? Using ASL to teach English (similar to the way they taught me Spanish--using English to explain it)?

Audiofuzzy said:
yes, yet reading your posts I tend to forget that.
But you know what - if I was a parent of a deaf child and met YOU I would run away screaming all the same. maybe even further away.
I would assume this is what the deaf culture does to you.

Fuzzy
You tell us not to judge groups of people based on just one member, but here you are admitting you'd do it yourself.

Also, what have I done to make you scared of Deaf Culture? :dunno:

oh please.. we are discussing things for the last fee days, if not weeks.. you know what!

Fuzzy

gnulinuxman said:
I agree that she does need to be clearer too.
How about ASL and English in the US? Using ASL to teach English (similar to the way they taught me Spanish--using English to explain it)?
Yes, that would be another option.....
There will still be a communication-gap with the rest of the english-speaking population..... thinking....

Cloggy said:
Yes, that would be another option.....
There will still be a communication-gap with the rest of the english-speaking population..... thinking....
Funny, because I don't have communication gaps with native Spanish or ASL users, even though I learned them through English.

I even hate signing in an Englishy grammar because true ASL is easier on the arms.

Audiofuzzy said:
I can understand that it can be better to teach to read and write well instead of 'creating' someone oral.

But a little oralism is not bad either, ya know, the solution is to find middle ground which is not easy, never easy.
You call the majority of hearing people who won't learn to sign "middle ground"?
Audiofuzzy said:
It is especially hard to work it out with children because they do not know how to convey their feelings, and do not know what is best for them. They will naturally avoind hard work, unless it is exciting for them.
So? It is FAR harder to force a deaf person to speak than it is to force a hearing person to speak.
Audiofuzzy said:
My friend's daughter opposed very strongly when her mom signed her up at French immersion school. ( Canada is bilingual). There were tears, rebellion, screams and fights at the beginning and troughout the whole school frequent complains "why do I have to..".
We live in English speaking province. Many years later she thanked her mom for doing this, for she was choosen over other applicants while applying for a job, because she could speak both languages.
If this friend's daughter is hearing, it's different because French and English are both auditory languages. You're talking about a kid who doesn't want to learn another auditory language. It is easier for hearing people to learn such languages orally because we can hear them. Deaf people can't.

If this friend's daughter is hearing, it's different because French and English are both auditory languages. You're talking about a kid who doesn't want to learn another auditory language. It is easier for hearing people to learn such languages orally because we can hear them. Deaf people can't.

yes she is hearing, but you are missing the point. It doesn't matter deaf/ hear because the point is she was forced to do something that she didn't see as beneficial - at the time.
And as far as I see here, most deaf pple here don't see being oral for deaf person is beneficial. All I see is "audism". (mind you I always talk about both -being oral and ASL)

You call the majority of hearing people who won't learn to sign "middle ground"?

Unfortunately the burden of communication falls on MINORITY. Why would I learn ASL- I already asked you that - knowing my chances of using it are very slim?

So? It is FAR harder to force a deaf person to speak than it is to force a hearing person to speak.

I don't think any reasonable hearing person expects oral deaf to be an orator (public speaker). Just a few words to convey what the deaf person needs is enough.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy
I don't think any reasonable hearing person expects oral deaf to be an orator (public speaker).

Public speaking is something most people are afraid of doing, imho.

It has been my experience, with HP (hearing people who are romanced by ASL and Deaf), that they choose to not live in the same reality. I question if these same HPers' struggled with English literacy, would they in fact make so much "noise". I think not.

Audiofuzzy said:
yes she is hearing, but you are missing the point. It doesn't matter deaf/ hear because the point is she was forced to do something that she didn't see as beneficial - at the time.
And as far as I see here, most deaf pple here don't see being oral for deaf person is beneficial. All I see is "audism". (mind you I always talk about both -being oral and ASL)
That is not my point. Deaf people tend to see it as beneficial, but it is VERY HARD. It is harder for a born-deaf person to learn to make sounds they can't hear.
Audiofuzzy said:
Unfortunately the burden of communication falls on MINORITY. Why would I learn ASL- I already asked you that - knowing my chances of using it are very slim?
"It's better to have many tools in your communications toolbox than to have just one or a few." The classic oralist argument...
Audiofuzzy said:
I don't think any reasonable hearing person expects oral deaf to be an orator (public speaker). Just a few words to convey what the deaf person needs is enough.
That's not exactly true. Most hearing people DO expect oral deaf people to function as hearing people.

Back