Hatred Against Asl!!

Someone even compared sign language to a scientific experiment.

I see nothing wrong with learning to lipread. IF it comes naturally. Being forced to "take lessons" is absurd, some people have the ability to learn and some people do not. The ability to lipread does come in handy and I am proud to be a top notch lipreader. Take it or leave it.

But a CI for a small child who has no say in the matter? I think not. The rules set up for piercing belly buttons are stronger than those for implanting CI's!

Parents are horror stricken over an imperfect child. The Campbell Soup Kid Syndrome again! Parents need to take stock and stop and think WHO they are doing the implant FOR. Their child or THEMSELVES! It is as simple as that. Even if they go ahead with the implant, their child is still going to be labeled "deaf" and is still going to have a certain amount of speech impediment.

Good wording! I am an avid lipreader, and a good talker too. But a very deaf person. If that makes sense. What makes me sad is the animosity.

Someone even compared sign language to a scientific experiment.

That deaf woman is one of the most arrogant deaf people I have ever seen. If I could come face to face with her, I got lots to say to that woman. People like that hurt many other deaf people indirectly with an attitude like that. She doesnt want to learn ASL, fine but to say degrading stuff about us signers...whoa!

I hear you, Shel.
She needs a smack or two, and I would like to be the one to give it to her. She sounds like a Audist big time.

She should never disregard deaf people's experiences about how HAs, CI or speech therapy didn't benefit them.

Bring your brother to meet her & give her a tongue lashing, or rather sign lashing. Lol

Wow. I am sorry to hear about your childhood. It is the same story that so many deaf adults tell, and many hearing parents and professionals just don't seem to listen.
Thanks, my parents fought for me alot to get what I need but u know hearing parents do not know what to do at first and do what they were told to do by professionals and they learned thier mistakes and try to correct about it later.

How do u tell ur parents if u were being abused by the oralist teacher if u do not have lanugage in first place. It was nightmare for me back then but I had a great childhood once my family and I learned sign language.

Thanks, my parents fought for me alot to get what I need but u know hearing parents do not know what to do at first and do what they were told to do by professionals and they learned thier mistakes and try to correct about it later.

How do u tell ur parents if u were being abused by the oralist teacher if u do not have lanugage in first place. It was nightmare for me back then but I had a great childhood once my family and I learned sign language.

Sign has saved more than one deaf child from a horrible childhood of isolation and no communication or connection with others.

A sign language helps to reach out a deaf child/children psychologically and spiritually for communication. It also brings 2 worlds together in one world without separation or gap. More feelings and expressions, too. It helps mental to develope reading for the eyes to understand better, because of its picture through gestures and such.

ASL is everythin' than just hear. Hear is NOT everythin', because of the sounds only - what else can " hear " show ? I am sure it is not the same as ASL with hands, face and body.

I prefer ASL. ;)

WOOOOOOOW ! ! ! Ci kid can talk better than deaf kid ha's. Mah gawd! She even can hear well.

WOOOOOOOW ! ! ! Ci kid can talk better than deaf kid ha's. Mah gawd! She even can hear well.

This doesn't make no sense. and beside we don't use CI kid , its a "child with CI" Lavender.

U know..that is interesting cuz people used to say that about me as a HA user and now the CI is the new thing..they are saying the same thing. When the next new technology comes along, people will probably say the same stuff. It seems like there is just so much value put on the deaf's child's ability to hear and speak rather than the accomplishments the child can do.

If I had to choose...to have a deaf child who can speak and hear so well and only can say "The Earth is round" perfectly but only limited to knowing that the Earth is round or a deaf child who doesnt have any oral skills but can describe the different features on the Earth inside and out. I would choose the latter. I prefer the children have knowledge than be able to talk perfectly. I see the same old patterns repeating themselves..."oh my god...this child can talk!!" rather than saying "Can this child answer complext questions?"

How would you know that a child with cochlear implant can talk better than a child with hearing aids? You're deaf, so what do you know? You cannot even hear yourself. :crazy:

U know..that is interesting cuz people used to say that about me as a HA user and now the CI is the new thing..they are saying the same thing. When the next new technology comes along, people will probably say the same stuff. It seems like there is just so much value put on the deaf's child's ability to hear and speak rather than the accomplishments the child can do.

If I had to choose...to have a deaf child who can speak and hear so well and only can say "The Earth is round" perfectly but only limited to knowing that the Earth is round or a deaf child who doesnt have any oral skills but can describe the different features on the Earth inside and out. I would choose the latter. I prefer the children have knowledge than be able to talk perfectly. I see the same old patterns repeating themselves..."oh my god...this child can talk!!" rather than saying "Can this child answer complext questions?"

:gpost: Very well said, shel. Sooner or later a child will grow up and have to find a job. I don't think that employers are as impressed over speech as they are over ability to problem solve and think critically. Just being able to speak clearly doesn't mean you can think and reason clearly.

Well, my daughter is getting a CI soon.I do not believe it is a horrible thing that is inflicted on children.I think it is all how you raise your children and the choices you unfortunately have to make for them.I do not have anything against ASL.I am learning ASL and teaching my daughter.I do agree that MANY parents tend to forget when it all comes down to it,your child is still deaf.I was linked up with a parent today,and her daughter was implanted.I asked her if she was teaching her daughter ASL and she said no.She said her daughter lip reads when not wearing her implant.Her daughter is 4 1/2 yrs. old.I have to admitt I was annoyed a little by this.I try to imagine myself in that situation.How hard it must be to lip read! I COULD NOT put my daughter through that.I do not think implants are a bad thing,but I do believe more parents should be educated about ASL and how they CAN do both.I can definitly understand why a parent may choose to only sign.For me, it is all about communicating with my daughter and her having choices.I am not trying to "normalize" my daughter.Just like there is animosity against ASL, I sometimes think there is animosity against CI.In my opinion, I think if a parent is going to implant their child, they should really consider ASL too.It is soo sad that some people have such an ugly attitude about ASL

Well, my daughter is getting a CI soon.I do not believe it is a horrible thing that is inflicted on children.I think it is all how you raise your children and the choices you unfortunately have to make for them.I do not have anything against ASL.I am learning ASL and teaching my daughter.I do agree that MANY parents tend to forget when it all comes down to it,your child is still deaf.I was linked up with a parent today,and her daughter was implanted.I asked her if she was teaching her daughter ASL and she said no.She said her daughter lip reads when not wearing her implant.Her daughter is 4 1/2 yrs. old.I have to admitt I was annoyed a little by this.I try to imagine myself in that situation.How hard it must be to lip read! I COULD NOT put my daughter through that.I do not think implants are a bad thing,but I do believe more parents should be educated about ASL and how they CAN do both.I can definitly understand why a parent may choose to only sign.For me, it is all about communicating with my daughter and her having choices.I am not trying to "normalize" my daughter.Just like there is animosity against ASL, I sometimes think there is animosity against CI.In my opinion, I think if a parent is going to implant their child, they should really consider ASL too.It is soo sad that some people have such an ugly attitude about ASL

:gpost:!!

While you may know that I'm against cochlear implant on children with the decision being made by parents ever since I've came on this board, One thing I keep seeing repeated, is the statement that many parents won't learn sign language or stopped using sign language with their cochlear implant child. It's a slap in the face to the deaf community, this is how I feel. Their attitude blews me away, and that's why I am against cochlear implant on children. Now, if more parents are like you, just maybe I'll have a change of heart about cochlear implants on children. I believe sign language is the primary tool for communication between the parents and the child while they can add cued speech, or any other tools. ;)

Thumbs up. I do believe children who are implanted can benefit greatly from being fluent in both ASL and English. It's just a pity a lot of parents are so resistant to learning a new language. I personally know many, many deaf people whose parents are like that. Some of them are even ashamed of their children's deafness.

The more choices a child is given, the better. An oral-only approach is a very dangerous route to go on because of the odds. Even with cochlear implant, it can be either a hit or miss.

It's not about Deaf Culture or anything like that. It's about making an environment accessible to the deaf child and the parents. With both Spoken English and ASL, you are giving the child a 100% accessible environment.

It's a very simple approach, but the trick is trying to convince a hearing parent that it's the best route to go on. Especially when they have no experience in interacting with deaf and hard of hearing people.

It's a win-win situation, whether they want to believe it or not.

Your beliefs are the same as mine regarding CIs, spoken language and ASL. I grew up on lipreading alone with HAs...I missed out so much and I was always worn out from constantly working extra hard to communicate. Yes, I know that the majority of the hearing world will not learn sign language and I accept that but I cant see how it is ok to use lipreading to acquire language and in the academic setting. I prefer that the oral skills to be taught for communication with non-signers.

Thumbs up. I do believe children who are implanted can benefit greatly from being fluent in both ASL and English. It's just a pity a lot of parents are so resistant to learning a new language. I personally know many, many deaf people whose parents are like that. Some of them are even ashamed of their children's deafness.

The more choices a child is given, the better. An oral-only approach is a very dangerous route to go on because of the odds. Even with cochlear implant, it can be either a hit or miss.

It's not about Deaf Culture or anything like that. It's about making an environment accessible to the deaf child and the parents. With both Spoken English and ASL, you are giving the child a 100% accessible environment.

It's a very simple approach, but the trick is trying to convince a hearing parent that it's the best route to go on. Especially when they have no experience in interacting with deaf and hard of hearing people.

:gpost: and I totally agree.That's why I am constantly advocating for it. If I can get through a few parents, better than nothing.

:gpost: !! What you said is all true. ;)

:gpost: We need more parents like you!

Shel90,it must have been hard to learn how to lip read.I think that some parents get blown away how quickly a child learns how to use their implant and they don't realize how much of a struggle it must be for the children to keep up.When I was speaking with that parent today, it seemed liked she was soo stuck on how well her daughter speaks.I know it is amazing,but we as parents need to look beyond that.When i asked her how her daughter communicates when she is not wearing her CI, she said she lip reads and added how well her speech is even without her CI on.Of course children don't know what is going on until they are older, and it gets harder.What happens when she is at a sleep over? What if she meets another deaf child, but that deaf child signs? Im trying to look beyond right now.But,b/c my daughter is getting implanted I sometimes feel like the only parent that is learning ASL.I could only imagine what it is like to be deaf and to be around other deaf people,but cant communicate with them.When people start bashing ASL,they may be in denial about their own child or self.I understand why CI can seem like this mechanical barrier, but I think it is the parents not the CI.

Back