Hatred Against Asl!!

Yes, I can sign in ASL, learned it since 8th grade and now I'm in college, fluet in ASL.

Yeah, otherwise my parent's friend wouldn't be so disappointed in the fact that his grandson with the CI can't speak. I have no idea when he was implanted though. He mentioned his grandson to my parents after he met me at a party and found out that I have good speech and that I planned to get implanted. If Shel's students are any example; it's quite possible he was implanted as an infant.

Right...some children who got implanted were able to develop good speech skills.
Some children who got implanted were not able to develop good speech.
Some children without implants were able to develop good speech (I am one of them).
Some chidlren without implants were not able to develop good speech.

It all boils down to the individual. My friend and I were talking about that the other night. She grew up in Deaf schools with ASL and she told me she has met all kinds of deaf people. She said that she has met HOH people who cant utter one word clearly but has met profoundly deaf people who can carry on a conversation using speech skills alone. Her boyfriend who is hearing, used to think that the better the deaf person speaks, the better that person can hear...she showed him that he was very wrong.

If no deaf kid without implants were NOT able to develop good speech skills historically then we can say that the implants are the reason for deaf children's ability to develop good speech skills but since that is not the case so we can t give the implants full credit.

Right...some children who got implanted were able to develop good speech skills.
Some children without implants were able to develop good speech (I am one of them).

It all boils down to the individual. My friend and I were talking about that the other night. She grew up in Deaf schools with ASL and she told me she has met all kinds of deaf people. She said that she has met HOH people who cant utter one word clearly but has met profoundly deaf people who can carry on a conversation using speech skills alone. Her boyfriend who is hearing, used to think that the better the deaf person speaks, the better that person can hear...she showed him that he was very wrong.

If no deaf kid without implants were NOT able to develop good speech skills historically then we can say that the implants are the reason for deaf children's ability to develop good speech skills but since that is not the case so we can t give the implants full credit.

Exactly.

I joined as a member of Youtube, and left 2 comments, it's funny to see how those of them who do not agree with Jill, Shel or me, would press a poor comment on our posts, those who agree with them that when they press a good comment, sounds these people don't give a damn what we say anyhow so I'm not going to waste my time with close minder people who don't know a damn thing about rasing deaf children.

I joined as a member of Youtube, and left 2 comments, it's funny to see how those of them who do not agree with Jill, Shel or me, would press a poor comment on our post, those who agree with them that when they press a good comment, sounds these people don't give a damn what we say anyhow so I'm not going to waste my time with close minder people who don't know a damn thing about rasing deaf children.

That's why I stopped posting...it just brings the negativity out of me. If they think it is ok to continue to deprive deaf children full access to language, their problem.

That's why I stopped posting...it just brings the negativity out of me. If they think it is ok to continue to deprive deaf children full access to language, their problem.

Exactly, their problem not ours.

:gpost:

Exactly, their problem not ours.

True, for the time being it is. But then later on down the road, it'd end up being deaf community's problem once the isolated deaf kids find their way into deaf world and we'll have to help them.

Please learn all the facts about a situation before spreading outrageous gossip like this. That isn't even close to the truth and just causes more unnecessary fear and panic.

Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca (12/14/07)

I apologize, Interpretrator. I will be careful when I see Deaf people talking about the rumor when I am in the Deaf Community. I live here in Ontario a long time like twelve years and I don't get much information from other provinces about our Deaf Communities. Thank you for clearing that up and I still feel fear of having a lot of Deaf people whether babies or children, even deaf adults getting the CI which I don't really approve at all. I really do pray that the hearing parents and doctors don't put CI on babies and young children. Deaf adults, yes, if they can make the decision to have CI surgery.

True, for the time being it is. But then later on down the road, it'd end up being deaf community's problem once the isolated deaf kids find their way into deaf world and we'll have to help them.

I know...maybe I should take a job teaching deaf adults not deaf children who have ignorant parents hampering their educational progress?

I joined as a member of Youtube, and left 2 comments, it's funny to see how those of them who do not agree with Jill, Shel or me, would press a poor comment on our posts, those who agree with them that when they press a good comment, sounds these people don't give a damn what we say anyhow so I'm not going to waste my time with close minder people who don't know a damn thing about rasing deaf children.

I left one post and the thread was so long anyway that I didn't feel like commenting on the posts, I like knowing what other posters have said before I post more than one post on something. Some of the people there are nuts.

Right I know...

I left one post and the thread was so long anyway that I didn't feel like commenting on the posts, I like knowing what other posters have said before I post more than one post on something. Some of the people there are nuts.

Oh I didn't know you were in there too, LOL, must have missed your comment.

Unfortunately, yes. *sigh*

I know...maybe I should take a job teaching deaf adults not deaf children who have ignorant parents hampering their educational progress?

Yes, you could always opt for that but the way I see it is the kids are our future, and they need all the sort of resources and deaf models to get ahead. And let's face it you're a deaf model for your students, whether you like it or not.

Also the childrens' brains are more flexible at learning than adults so it should be easier to educate them in some ways. Sure it can be tedious but it should pay off in the long run.

Ah, we'll always have ignorant parents so it's up to us to educate them and give examples of how deaf kids would do well with this or that method. Besides, you can pick anyway to teach them because it would be quite difficult to educate each child with differing methods.. Talk about method overload for a teacher!

And look at it this way, those kids will make their parents wake up someday, hopefully.

I don't know if I'm making sense. I'm typing away while laboring in this intense heat......I think my brain's just about fried....

Yeah, I gave up on them too. I got tired of the closed mindedness and people trying to talk about something they know nothing about.

Back