Happened to Sweetheart at Fry's.

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweetheart went to Fry's for her interview today. She showed up a little early, she had the notepad and pen on her own and a woman showed her where the interview are at, she sat there and waited for couple minutes, she saw around 15 people in there for the interview too. She noticed the white paper that is for the emerency contact and they are hiring after that. A man was going to interview with Sweetheart, they wrote to each other and it's done in 15 minutes already. She didn't fill the white paper for emerceny contact. She had a feeling that she's not hiring because she's deaf. Here her and a man's conversation:

Sweetheart: I'm here for the interview.
Sweetheart: I don't read the lips and talk that really good(when a man talked to her)
A Man: My first interview this way
A Man: What can you tell me about yourself & why you would like to work for Fry's?
Sweetheart: I'm a hard worker and could learn fast. Because I want to experience to work here and learn about here too.
A Man: Do you think you or others around you would find it easy to communicate here at Fry's?
Sweetheart: We could write back and forth, I will bring my own notepad and pen for in case.
A Man: What can you do for us?
Sweetheart: ANY you want.
A Man: Couldn't possible to get back with you? I would like to take a partner to see what's best for us & you.
Sweetheart: You could text me on my mobile.
Sweetheart: My mom's phone number(when a man asked me about that phone number)
Sweetheart: Could I add my mobile number? (A man nodded)
A Man: I don't want you to think we don't like you. I will try my best to find a position that will easy work for both Fry's and you. I will be back to you by Wed.
Sweetheart: That's alright. Just take your time.
They shaked the hands and Sweetheart left.

Sound like a bad interview.

Need to contact Kroger Corporate. She needs to speak to HR dept about the manager/interviewer's skills with disabled inteviewees...

Mookie said:
Sound like a bad interview.

Need to contact Kroger Corporate. She needs to speak to HR dept about the manager/interviewer's skills with disabled inteviewees...

The interviewer didn't even say his name when she met him, and didn't even have a name tag on his shirt. So, she has no idea what his name is. She remembers what he looks like, though. I agree with you that he's a bad interviewer.

sequoias said:
The interviewer didn't even say his name when she met him, and didn't even have a name tag on his shirt. So, she has no idea what his name is. She remembers what he looks like, though. I agree with you that he's a bad interviewer.

I wonder why he did not leave his name and title. It sounds like a serious discriminating case. It is better to inform HR office at Kroger Corporate immediately and also contact legal service in your area.

If you do not contact the Kroger Corporate or Frys' headquarter, it would make a very difficult case....

Mookie said:
I wonder why he did not leave his name and title. It sounds like a serious discriminating case. It is better to inform HR office at Kroger Corporate immediately and also contact legal service in your area.

If you do not contact the Kroger Corporate or Frys' headquarter, it would make a very difficult case....

We'll wait until Wednesday to see if they contact her, if not we'll contact them about the interviewer.

He seems nice the way it was said on the note pad, You know communication is very important. You gotta have that in order to communicate with other people while working, note pad is just a waste of time. I can understand that Sweetheart only communicate by note pad, but other people wouldn't have the time and patience for that. What is "Fry" anyway? Is it a restaurant?

Why can't Sweetheart work as a housekeeper, or work in a factory, I know most deaf people have jobs in that department. ;)

Cheri said:
He seems nice the way it was said on the note pad, You know communication is very important. You gotta have that in order to communicate with other people while working, note pad is just a waste of time. I can understand that Sweetheart only communicate by note pad, but other people wouldn't have the time and patience for that. What is "Fry" anyway? Is it a restaurant?

Why can't Sweetheart work as a housekeeper, or work in a factory, I know most deaf people have jobs in that department. ;)

Pardon me, Cheri. It's Sweetheart. I felt like that you are so rude when you said that. I cannot talk and read the lips that good same like you could, Sequoias could and etc like that. I have a right to write the back and forth on the notepad! And, I did work at the Hotel, I was waitress for the parites like, wedding, baby shower, etc at the Hotel, communicate is no problem for me and them! Plus I worked at Hollywood Video, I worked at cashier and communicate is no problem for me and them too plus, I worked at Farmer Jack as Bagger and communicate is no problem for them too! How communicate for me and them are WRITING ON THE NOTEPAD. I dont want to work as a housekeeper or work in the factory or something like that. I RATHER TO WORK SAME LIKE EVERYBODY CAN! I KNEW I CAN WORK ANYTHING AT ANY PLACES TO WORK! No excuse for that, I knew few of people, they work with the notepad to communicate. And, it's VERY wrong of that man for doing that even my MOTHER agreed on that! Because I did work at Highland Senior Center, Highland Township Hall, Best Western Hotel, Hollywood Video, Dihel's and Farmer Jack, all of them I wrote the notepad with people, there's NO PROBLEM. I bet people would agree with me about this. I dont care how much you know about this crap, I do know alot about the jobs too, I worked since I was almost 14 years old! I learned about the jobs and etc like that. I'm not VERY pleasure with what you said in here because it's soooooooo RUDE I ever heard. I'm sorry for being "mean" but I told you the fact!

I'm sorry, Sweetheart, :( I didn't meant to be rude, I was only being honest about reality, You know how people are out there in the world, not giving deaf people a chance to try out on a first try, to see how they would be able to do the job. I've been turned down a lot during interviews no matter how well I speak, I believe they are afraid that we cannot do our position on the job. I know that he was wrong for not giving you an opportunity to try to see how well you could be able to do that job, and how well it would go with communication between you and the other workers.

I can understand your anger and I'm sorry if I in any way offended you, or hurt your feelings. I didn't meant to. :hug:

Cheri said:
I'm sorry, Sweetheart, :( I didn't meant to be rude, I was only being honest about reality, You know how people are out there in the world, not giving deaf people a chance to try out on a first try, to see how they would be able to do the job. I've been turned down a lot during interviews no matter how well I speak, I believe they are afraid that we cannot do our position on the job. I know that he was wrong for not giving you an opportunity to try to see how well you could be able to do that job, and how well it would go with communication between you and the other workers.

I can understand your anger and I'm sorry if I in any way offended you, or hurt your feelings. I didn't meant to. :hug:

Cheri, that's alright. I don't mean to blew up on you but I just don't like how you said because I'd been hiring quickly after I got the interviews with Highland Senior Center, Higland Township Hall, Best Western Hotel, Dihel's, Hollywood Video and Farmer Jack. It's my first time to getting turn down by him, but I don't know if he will hire me or not this Wednesday. Plus, I want to stand up to show everybody in the world that deaf can do ANYTHING same like Hearing People can, I don't let us down by them that we "can't do anything" because it's so BULLSHIT! I wish I could have some of my friends to come in here so people can learn about their jobs. My ex boyfriend, but he's still my good friend, his name is Robert(deaf) is working as firefighter but can't go in the buildings during it's on fire, just hold the hose or telling people to stand away or etc like that, I met a policeman which he's deaf and he's working to chase after people who is speeding or bad something like that, but he have to work with parnter for communicate that's it. Many things that I can tell about that I knew who in my life who are deaf but successful too...

That's why I don't believe in people that Deaf can't do anything. I only believe that Deaf can do ANYTHING!

Tsk..tsk..tsk, Cheri

I had lots of expereince for working at any restaurants which I do not speak very well. All I have to follow their homemade signs/body language/facial expressions, tickets from the printers. Is there something wrong with me?

Right now, I work for the federal agency that I still do not speak..............

There is nothing wrong with Sweetheart. All she have to follow the Fryes' produrce....

You want to know what is Frys? You must have missed the link in #2 post...

as for some of us rather to write back and forth on the note than misunderstanding people speaking. some of us arent good at reading lips. sometime they talk way too fast or keep going on without stop and make sure we understand.. so we want to write bak and forth without any misunderstanding. i dont see a problem with that! i never had a problem. whoever has a problem with them. DEAL WITH IT! :)

Fry's is an electornic store.

Mookie said:
Tsk..tsk..tsk, Cheri

I had lots of expereince for working at any restaurants which I do not speak very well. All I have to follow their homemade signs/body language/facial expressions, tickets from the printers. Is there something wrong with me?

Right now, I work for the federal agency that I still do not speak..............

There is nothing wrong with Sweetheart. All she have to follow the Fryes' produrce....

You want to know what is Frys? You must have missed the link in #2 post...

Ummmmm The interviewer did not say his name? THat's bad! ALWAYS tell you his or her name.

I wish you best of luck, Sweetheart! :hug:

Im appalled at you cheri u relied on your family owned working whilist we have to work on our asses to get decent jobs to get decent pay i dont care if you aplogised to sweetheart but you took a MAJOR offense to poeple who are working very hard and deserving housekeeping MY ASS, we have good education and would like to do something other than that, just cause we can't read lips or use our voice doesn't give you the right to say this to anyone who is deaf u can bet there will be a flame in here for this way you said that!!!!

Sweetheart im very sorry that u went thru this kind of experince in interview the way i see it, that was not a very good interview BUT i could be wrong and you could get lucky ( i hope i am wrong and u DO get lucky for a job) don't rely on your communication skills just rely on putting ur best foot fwd! Good luck!

Sweetheart, I really do admire you for your courage to show these people that you as a deaf person
can do the job :)
Hope you will get that job and do keep us updated about what's happening.
Wishing you all the best of luck :hug:

I have a habit of sending "SENT": too early. I wanted to say GOOD LUCK! I do sincerely hope they would hire you!! He seems not sure what to do with this kind of situation which he showed so obviously because he said i ll talk with other.... soo.. keep your chin up! if he didnt hire you, his loss! because you told him you are a HARD WORKER! Hang in there and wait till Wed!! I'll cross my fingers for you!!!! and Cheri, I hate to gang up on you but I disagree with you. We, deafies, dont have to have do odd jobs! WE can do do anything just like any hearing people do. As matter of fact, im a mortgage supervisor broker and THAT IS NOT A ODD JOB.. I cant speak.. I cant read lips... I do frequently in ASL and I do write back and forth with some of my hearing clients. They're impressed with my job and I got an award for being best rookie of the year... obviusly i can do this job just fine. AGain, i dont mean to gang up on u..

javapride said:
Im appalled at you cheri u relied on your family owned working whilist we have to work on our asses to get decent jobs to get decent pay i dont care if you aplogised to sweetheart but you took a MAJOR offense to poeple who are working very hard and deserving housekeeping MY ASS, we have good education and would like to do something other than that, just cause we can't read lips or use our voice doesn't give you the right to say this to anyone who is deaf u can bet there will be a flame in here for this way you said that!!!!

Javapride, First of all, Once someone apology, it's over, drop it and move on. Secondly of all, I've worked for a lot of companies not only my family's business. You think you know me, but you don't. I was only being honest, I'm sorry if my honestly ticks people off, Maybe I should have just kept it to myself, to avoid to offended someone, which I never intend to do that. I've been turned down a lot myself during the interview and after the interview. I know communication is a factor in a lot of places, sometimes you have to be able to hear too in some places.

Sweetheart typing: Hey people, please don't being harsh on Cheri because she already apology to me, I accepted it. I do know that she don't mean to do that, I just forgave her. Please, respect that. So, dicussion about happened but not about Cheri and me ok? Thanks everybody.

Doesn't matter how much you have skilled enough for an interview job or your prevouis experience and willing open new challenge as new position different career.... but issues their attudies feel doesn't want your lack communction reilable notepad.. that major problem.. I've seen other deaf people who trying to get a job...

Fry's .. isn't good idea.. that place is high percent reilable demands volume "commucation" to meet customer's needs..

I recommend that use blue collar and others.. whatever what your hand skilsl or expereince... go for it.. .

Javapride.. doesn't matter anyone WHO have expereince background history working...and possible change their career... Dont' forget that..

what do you expecting anyone reilable communcation... Be TRY remmy that so many different places jobs as such electricois store or others prefer as salesperson or others requires communcations.. do necessary bring notepad.. due wasting time.. wait for write to be down... that problem peoples' attudies.. NOT DEAF.. okay.. AS far I know Deaf people are trying their BEST... peroid..

other Deaf people who CAN communcation which lucky have strong teeth expose themsleves!

LisaMarie said:
and Cheri, I hate to gang up on you but I disagree with you. We, deafies, dont have to have do odd jobs! WE can do do anything just like any hearing people do. As matter of fact, im a mortgage supervisor broker and THAT IS NOT A ODD JOB.. I cant speak.. I cant read lips... I do frequently in ASL and I do write back and forth with some of my hearing clients. They're impressed with my job and I got an award for being best rookie of the year... obviusly i can do this job just fine. AGain, i dont mean to gang up on u..

It's okay to disagree with me. ;)

Back