Had a f****** close call

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does, doesn't it? That road behind me leads straight to Great Lakes Naval Base, to a point. It doesn't go directly there, but it will get you close.

Will it get you so close you will have a close shave?

And that was where my brother went to boot camp when he was in the Navy.

Will it get you so close you will have a close shave?

And that was where my brother went to boot camp when he was in the Navy.

Nope. If I want a close shave, I'll go to the Great Lakes Metra station and wait for a UP train to round the curve at 75 MPH and me standing waiting for the Metra. Now THAT'S a close shave, cause you can't see them.

Now who is exaggerating? Really "a car on a motorcycle" almost crushed you. What were you doing when this almost happened?

Brilliant.

She was riding her motorcycle when the car almost crushed her.

Nope. If I want a close shave, I'll go to the Great Lakes Metra station and wait for a UP train to round the curve at 75 MPH and me standing waiting for the Metra. Now THAT'S a close shave, cause you can't see them.
What? Are you standing on the tracks playing chicken with trains? Or are you on the platform that is intended for passengers to stand on?

What? Are you standing on the tracks playing chicken with trains? Or are you on the platform that is intended for passengers to stand on?

Platform. Not dumb enough to go trespassing on UP tracks.

You like it? My hair was getting annoying, and since spring is just right around the corner, I reckoned it was time to cut it, so I did. :D

Your hair looks like bigotry and associate with hate group. j/k :D

Platform. Not dumb enough to go trespassing on UP tracks.
Then how is that a close shave? A close shave means to barely escape a dangerous or bad event such as an accident or getting fired from work. Isn't the train platform safe? Or were you hanging over the edge?

Then how is that a close shave? A close shave means to barely escape a dangerous or bad event such as an accident or getting fired from work. Isn't the train platform safe? Or were you hanging over the edge?

Generally, yes. However, one time I was walking a little close to the edge, and I didn't know there was a UP train behind me (I was facing south, and the train was headed the same direction on the same track my station was on), and they had to sound the bell to get me to stop. Good thing they did, or I wouldn't be here.

How do you know it was the last one?

the only way to know for sure.... piece them together!

41DxwYXnWAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

close shave? hmmm try sitting in my truck as a passenger when it was fishtailing at the mountain road and by some miracle.. it just happened to turn at the right time as I was going toward a cliff of no return just by a hair inch.

It doesn't hurt to play the what if game sometimes. I do it when I am bored and driving sometimes or just doing regular tasks. The amount of what ifs out there are endless.

I was driving along the Columbia River one time on a route that I driven many many times. This one day I was in a bit of a hurry. I was thinking how I never look out for deer coming from the river side because it is just a guardrail, rocks down there, and kind of steep too right to the river.
In a weird juxtaposition of thought and fate at the moment in time the thought finished and I realized later I had slowed down slightly because of it... a deer came out of nowhere over that guardrail on the river side and landed right in front of me. Whoa. It was as startled as I was for a fraction of a second. I swerved around it.

I have had lots of those kinds of things in my life. I think others have as well. I am glad Mark did not get injured. There may be in his somewhat comical story a warning for us all for this day as we jump into risk filled life.

That's a negative. However, I STILL have a long recovery period, because some of the areas have been injured more than once. Like my left knee, for example. In 2012, I tore the MCL, and took 3 months to recover. Just over a year ago, I tore the ACL in the same knee, and took just over 7 months to recover.

How did it happen?

How did it happen?

Bad missteps both times. The ACL one was worse, because that happened when I was trying to avoid tearing the other one in a hole on the sidewalk, and I badly misstepped, and ending up doing more harm than avoiding a major injury, cause I still ended up with one. This year I am determined to not have that happen again this year. Twice in under a year is more than enough.

close shave? hmmm try sitting in my truck as a passenger when it was fishtailing at the mountain road and by some miracle.. it just happened to turn at the right time as I was going toward a cliff of no return just by a hair inch.

When I was younger I was out driving in my girlfriend 's car and we into a skid and the car stopped at a the edge of steep cliff . We could not believe it. Now that was a very close call . I guess it was not our time to go.

As a small boy about 8, I was deep in the woods outside of town near Cook Inlet. It was a year or so after the largest earthquake in modern history that hit there in Alaska. I was riding my bicycle down the old military trails as fast as I could. Up hill and down just me and my stripped down Schwinn having a blast. No one in the world that I knew of had any idea where I was.
I was powering up this little hill using the momentum from the last one. It was steep but the force was with me I was looking ahead and I still remember seeing the trail looking normal ahead of me trees both sides open sky ahead. I heard a voice in my head in a loud NO!! Scared me. I stopped, laid the bike down and looked there wasn't anybody around.

I walked up the trail to the top of the hill ... it was a sheer drop straight down a couple hundred feet to stone gray water with white caps. The bluff had sheared off in the earthquake and had done such a clean job the trail was normal right to the very edge right at just before the crest of the hill.

Get a job in a machine shop or sheet metal fabrication. You could post several times a day with near-misses. :dance2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back