Gun owners: how many rounds should we have?

Goodness, Reba. I am a bit doped up. Legally. But I am so glad you are here in this world of dreams!
Pleasant dreams and good night to you. :)

Today I bought one box (50 rounds) 38 special for $29.95, and four boxes (20 rounds each) 30-30 for $11.94 each box.

Are those prices high or low?

yep that is cheap. about $5-10 than here.

yep that is cheap. about $5-10 than here.
I got them from the Money Many Pawn Shop.

I'm going to check Cabela's later today. They're offering free shipping (limited time) for their on-line ammo.

I got them from the Money Many Pawn Shop.

I'm going to check Cabela's later today. They're offering free shipping (limited time) for their on-line ammo.

:-o *running*

Promo code 2XSHIP, until March 9, $150 minimum order

dang it.... the 9mm ammo I want is backordered but this is good deal. Federal American Eagle/WOLF/Ultramax (bulk) for range and Speer HP for self-defense... or maybe Hornady.

oh boy... have to do bunch of calculating between this site and cheaperthandirt.com :dizzy: but I expect to spend at least $300 and that should be good for rest of this year, I think.

dang it.... the 9mm ammo I want is backordered but this is good deal. Federal American Eagle/WOLF/Ultramax (bulk) for range and Speer HP for self-defense... or maybe Hornady.

oh boy... have to do bunch of calculating between this site and cheaperthandirt.com :dizzy: but I expect to spend at least $300 and that should be good for rest of this year, I think.
Cheaperthandirt is a good provider, too. We used to gets lots of Wolf from them.

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm - $19.99 for 25rnds (x2)
UltraMax 9mm BULK - $329.99 for 1200rnds

Total: $369.97 free shipping

Good deal or what, Reba?

I want to keep enough ammo on hand in case there is a shortage or the price gets hiked up but I don't want to turn my home into a munitions depot.

How many rounds of various ammunition do you think is adequate to keep on hand? Also, where and how do you store your ammo?

Exactly why not? Ammunition Depots are very useful. :giggle:

To answer your question I would first have to list all my firearms (which I, quite, coincidentally lost in a boating accident ... oops).

I have exactly 422 rounds of 7.62 x 54R FMJ For my (Lost in boating accident ...oops) Izhmash Dragunov and M44 and 20 soft point rounds for dropping antlered forest rats.

135 rounds of FMJ 9x18 Mak for CZ-82

50 rounds of 7.62 x 38 Nagant
100 rounds .32 Mag
20 rounds .32 Long all for my M1895 Revolver.

BTW - I live in Georgia and have my Georgia Firearms License. What that means is I am allowed to carry a handgun concealed, or openly. My license is also recognized by several other states.

In my state, you have to go to your local superior court. They do an extensive background check on you, FBI, GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) and local Sheriff's office. A superior court judge then approves or denies your license. It took them 7 days to issue my license. It is good for 5 years.

I am also allowed to sell firearms face to face in Georgia. I can mail them to any FFL. Ammo can be sold privately face to face. To ship ammo I **think** you have to print ORM-D on the box.

Then there are class III weapons. I hope to get my class III license someday.

Last edited:
It all depends on your paranoia level.

the-zombie-apocalypse-zombies-gu-1.jpg

im not a big gun guy, but depending on ur use of guns, weather its for hunting, personal protection or both. depending on where you live to, if it is somewhere very plentiful with large quantities of people that own guns and places that carry ammo than maybe your stock pile can be slightly smaller. for what i would do is just remember how much ammo you use in ...say 4 months or what ever u think your theoretical shortage's length will be, then double it. buy that ammo over time and as you use ammo buy ammo to replace what you take out of your "stash", that way all your ammo will be rotating, so your never really going to have very very old ammo. old ammo sometimes can take in moisture, and the brass can sometimes corrode, so rotating it would be a good choice rather than just keeping one big stockpile forever. i have heard some people say when they store large quantities of ammo if they do not have a large lock box that can seal the ammo away they keep it in an area that has a decent amount of air flow, and they sometimes put rock salt under the shelves the ammo is stored on to reduce the moisture contact with the ammo...thats all the advice i can give you

Our forefathers didn't earn our freedom by using free speech. They used the 2nd ammendment.

I have about 50 rounds of 30-30 ammo, 200 shells of 12ga, strictly used for hunting. My 1911 usually has about 100 target rounds and 40 HP rounds. I stick with winchester for the pistola because para-ord tests show the fewest jams in their handgun.

just got 1200 rnds of 9mm from Cabela's. about 4 weeks wait. not bad. Now I'm waiting for a crate of 75 HP rnds. That should be almost enough for a year since I'll be competing once a month. Each game is about 200 rnds.

:fruit:

just got 1200 rnds of 9mm from Cabela's. about 4 weeks wait. not bad. Now I'm waiting for a crate of 75 HP rnds. That should be almost enough for a year since I'll be competing once a month. Each game is about 200 rnds.

:fruit:
We got our Cabela's order a couple weeks ago. Yes, it was a good deal. :)

Not sure if this question is off-topic but I was wondering if ammo had a shelf life? How long can ammo go unused before it's considered "bad" or no good? Is there a certain amount of time that ammo can sit on a shelf in a store or in storage? Just curious.

By the way, Steinhauer, I live in GA too and went to the local Probate Court last week to apply for my firearms license. The appplication, including fingerprints, cost 60 bucks. I do not own any guns yet but will take a Gun Safety course soon and will try out different handguns in that class. Then I'll start shopping around for one.

Not sure if this question is off-topic but I was wondering if ammo had a shelf life? How long can ammo go unused before it's considered "bad" or no good? Is there a certain amount of time that ammo can sit on a shelf in a store or in storage? Just curious.
If it's good quality ammo, and you keep it dry, you can store it for years. You should rotate your stock and use the oldest first.

I just checked... I have about 440 rounds of 30-06 bullets.

120 rounds .300 weatherby mag.

:cool2:

Think that is enough?

I've picked up quite a bit of ammo from AIM Surplus Home lately. They had an unbelievable deal on .45 auto last month, and they had 50 round boxes of 9mm for $9.00 when everyone else either couldn't get it or was selling it for $1 per round. Their stock seems to vary daily- I picked up 5 boxes of 6.5x55 swede, and they weren't even listed by the next morning.

They also have some sweet deals on police trade in pistols. I picked up a Beretta 92 from them for less than $400 a while back.

Best of all? No sales tax!

Back