Gun owners: how many rounds should we have?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to keep enough ammo on hand in case there is a shortage or the price gets hiked up but I don't want to turn my home into a munitions depot.

How many rounds of various ammunition do you think is adequate to keep on hand? Also, where and how do you store your ammo?

I depends on how many guns/calibers you have. I try to keep at least 500 rounds for every caliber and I just have tons of .22 LR sitting around. The .22 seems to add up quickly since you can get a box of 550 for $20. It all depends on why you think you need it. Do you just like to have some around for shooting? Do you think you'll need ammo in the event of a natural disaster? Do you want to stock up for political reason? Everyone will give you a different answer on how much ammo you need.

The best place for ammo is a cool/dry place. I keep most of mine in dry storage boxes in my closet.

Last edited:
I had 2,000+ rnds at Cabela's for 9mm cuz it was cheap and it was plentiful at that time. After a year or so - now I'm down to around 200 or less :ugh:

I kept putting it off but I will eventually place an order for about 400 rnds of HP and 1000+ rnds for general purpose. I haven't had time to go to store to buy Remington 870 (or maybe Mossberg???). But to answer your question - I would feel comfortable with having at least 1,000 rnd per firearm.

It all depends on your paranoia level.

I don't view it as paranoia. It's no different from people having a month worth of food in their fridge or having enough clothes in their closet to clothe several dozens people.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Too numerous to count since I have ammo bought as far back as '97. I keep it in a foot locker, I don't fill it but the quantity I have in it is more than reasonable.

I don't view it as paranoia. It's no different from people having a month worth of food in their fridge or having enough clothes in their closet to clothe several dozens people.
Um, do you think I was kidding a little bit?

Of course I don't seriously believe that paranoid people should have have access to weapons.

Right now we have at least 1,500 rounds for the .223, 300 rounds for the .22 LR, 100 rounds for the 9 mm, 25 rounds for the .38 special, 30 rounds for the 30-30, 200 shells for the 12 ga., and 300+ shells for the 20 ga.

My concern is that sometimes certain ammo is out of stock or extremely high priced. I think I should stock up while it's on sale but that's not always possible.

Also, storage space is a problem. It doesn't seem safe enough to me to keep it stacked up in a closet. That certainly isn't theft or fire proof. :hmm:

Keeping supplied with food, yes (though not in the fridge because of power outages). Having enough clothes for "several dozens of people" is a new one to me. :eek3:

Keeping supplied with food, yes (though not in the fridge because of power outages). Having enough clothes for "several dozens of people" is a new one to me. :eek3:

My MIL has clothes in 3 closets, boxes in the attic and in the garage. They are all her clothes. Her weight goes up and down depending on her eating and so she keep clothing in 5 sizes and then she always has something to wear if she gains or loses. Never mind the fact that they are so old that washing will make them fall apart or they are so terribly out of style or fashion. :giggle:

Um, do you think I was kidding a little bit?

Of course I don't seriously believe that paranoid people should have have access to weapons.

I don't believe paranoid people should even speak their mind :) because the word alone is far more dangerous than bullet since it can easily instill fear and mass hysteria

Right now we have at least 1,500 rounds for the .223, 300 rounds for the .22 LR, 100 rounds for the 9 mm, 25 rounds for the .38 special, 30 rounds for the 30-30, 200 shells for the 12 ga., and 300+ shells for the 20 ga.

My concern is that sometimes certain ammo is out of stock or extremely high priced. I think I should stock up while it's on sale but that's not always possible.

Also, storage space is a problem. It doesn't seem safe enough to me to keep it stacked up in a closet. That certainly isn't theft or fire proof. :hmm:

oh damn..... you're running pretty low and I know the feeling :(

I keep mine in locked storage room which is several floors down. I keep a couple of boxes with me. For me - I just keep it in the plastic box because it's inconspicuous and I throw in bunch of silica bags I collect from packages.

For theft-proof and/or fireproof to some degree, you can always get the fire-resistant vault for that but it's somewhat $$$$$$ and it's conspicuous.

Keeping supplied with food, yes (though not in the fridge because of power outages).
yep. it's fine. I have some MREs that will last me a couple of weeks

Having enough clothes for "several dozens of people" is a new one to me. :eek3:
oh yes it's the "norm" around here... which is mind-boggling to me. My old old ex has 3 walk-in closets in different rooms just for her clothes and another closet just for her shoes. I told her to donate it to charity :roll:

I doubt you'll ever find anything thats fire/theft proof.

oh yes it's the "norm" around here... which is mind-boggling to me. My old old ex has 3 walk-in closets in different rooms just for her clothes and another closet just for her shoes. I told her to donate it to charity :roll:
My rule is if a new piece of clothing comes in, an old piece of clothing has to go out.

I thought maybe you kept lots of clothing because you are a bachelor and you don't like to do laundry except a couple times per year. :giggle:

My rule is if a new piece of clothing comes in, an old piece of clothing has to go out.

I thought maybe you kept lots of clothing because you are a bachelor and you don't like to do laundry except a couple times per year. :giggle:

:lol:

but yea - I pretty much get new clothes only if my old clothes are out of style or have holes. I dislike those ripped clothes or clothes with some holes sold at store as fashionable style.

lol few years ago - when I tried on the shirt.... and I noticed something. I told my mom - look! uh-oh.... I think I ripped this shirt or am I wearing it inside out? She laughed and said - no no that's how it is. I was confused and I was wondering why would the store sell a defective product :lol:

Back