Grrrrrrrrrr

so now thinking back on it, I see how the DEAF community is so hostile even with their own, doesnt matter if late deafened or HOH and so... a lot of them are hostile just because you were "officially DEAF at birth, which is ignorant in my eyes and shame on you !

No, its the same every time I see or contact her, why cant you call? maybe next time I will text and say, I dont have internet or a cell phone ( see if she catches that ) how else would I have FB or text her?

I know its crazy, but hearies just dont understand or get it, and some just flat out refuse to accept it. I got friends who told me if I need them to make calls for me or whatever to let them know, but by time they get home the offices are closed... not comfortable giving out personal info to all my friends, just a select few I can truely trust, and those few arent anywhere close to contact as well. Ive never had the tech stuff other than an amplified phone, and now that I actually need stuff VR changed their guidlines and cant get crap from them now anyways.

oh wow. I'm surprised that you're not aware of deaf technologies we have out there now.

you don't need to rely on your friends or mom when you have IP Relay service. it's great. basically you can do it either online or thru your iPhone app. you open up a program and type in the number you want to call. And then you will be connected to a relay operator. he/she will listen for you and type out what the caller is saying. and then you reply back by typing. The operator will read it aloud to a caller. when you're done with a call, you just close the program. easy.

For bill payments and such, what I do is I bookmark the bill paying websites, and when the time comes, I can easily find them. I also pay my bills on-line, along with having e-mail and text reminders that they're due. Makes things a lot easier. Sono, might it be possible for you to do that? Like on my phone, my bookmarks for bill payment are automatically saved on Google Chrome, so if I'm on the move, I can pay it quickly.
Ive stated that already, I pay bills online, but when they call about something, whats to do if you cant hear them? so I need an open form of communication with them, because businesses dont have TTY nor do I have any equipment.

Sonocativo~! There will always be some hearing people that just won't get it. My hubby has set it up for me on my computer as to when what bills are paid and most of them are withdrawn automatically through our banking business. I am slowly learning more every day to make sure I can stay independent if something ever happens to my hubby. Thankful I have good friends nearby that can help in a pinch if needed. I had an amplified telephone.. ugh. I gave it away years ago. I had sorenson installed but it became to complicated for me to use with the five different remotes with my tech savvy hubby. Hence the reason I like simplicity of one remote for the tv, simple hearing aid.. I hope your activation of your CI goes smoothly.

Ive stated that already, I pay bills online, but when they call about something, whats to do if you cant hear them? so I need an open form of communication with them, because businesses dont have TTY nor do I have any equipment.

Try searching for the Chat feature on their websites. Many have them, and do come in handy. Maybe try that?

You don't give them a number to call you at. Why would you, if you can't hear them? I have NO phone numbers on file with any of my utilities or banking. I do everything online. It's far easier these days than you think.

if you prefer to talk, then you can use VCO service (Voice-Carry Over). same as IP Relay service except you reply back by talking. A relay operator will listen for you and type what a caller is saying. and then you can reply back by talking. also easy.

here's a thing - there is a time delay. a response rate is typically around 10-20 seconds so a caller may be confused about it, thinking you hung up or something.

so now thinking back on it, I see how the DEAF community is so hostile even with their own, doesnt matter if late deafened or HOH and so... a lot of them are hostile just because you were "officially DEAF at birth, which is ignorant in my eyes and shame on you !
I am very sorry for what I said to you. Can I have your mom's phone number so I can explain your problem to her?

if you prefer to talk, then you can use VCO service (Voice-Carry Over). same as IP Relay service except you reply back by talking. A relay operator will listen for you and type what a caller is saying. and then you can reply back by talking. also easy.

here's a thing - there is a time delay. a response rate is typically around 10-20 seconds so a caller may be confused about it, thinking you hung up or something.
Jiro, I did use a relay operator before, My sister had a deaf roommate I would talk, they typed and relayed what she typed back to my by voice ( when I could hear and had an amplified phone) but that was back in the 80's and only used it a few times. Now I prefer to just type, although I can talk. When my wife and I would go places she refused to talk to me but would sign, forcing me to catch on better, but I was and am more comfortable talking in person since I cant yet carry a conversation in ASL. My hands are stiff from years of abuse as a laborer, hell I even hunt n peck at the keyboard but Im fast at it, just can type like a normal office worker...lol
I am basically new to all the deaf technology as it was never offered to me as a child, nor did I have resources ( my parents were never offered help or resources as well) and myself, I denied I was hoh, but now I accept it as I am deaf after years of losing my hearing, I accepted it years ago (when I started getting hearing aids) and it just got worst, no way around it, i was doomed...and here I am with CI.

You made at least 6,000 posts and you have no clue what IPRelay is?

I know IPRelay exists from reading threads here at AD, but that's all I know about it because at this point in my deafness, I do not need it. Sono had not been in a position to need it either until recently.

Sonocativo~! There will always be some hearing people that just won't get it. My hubby has set it up for me on my computer as to when what bills are paid and most of them are withdrawn automatically through our banking business. I am slowly learning more every day to make sure I can stay independent if something ever happens to my hubby. Thankful I have good friends nearby that can help in a pinch if needed. I had an amplified telephone.. ugh. I gave it away years ago. I had sorenson installed but it became to complicated for me to use with the five different remotes with my tech savvy hubby. Hence the reason I like simplicity of one remote for the tv, simple hearing aid.. I hope your activation of your CI goes smoothly.
I had sorensen come out for a VP that was to be hooked up with the tv, I was like...NAH, I dont sit in front of the tv all day, Im always out and about and it just seemed like it would collect more dust that get used, so I declined it... if it was a mobile device, Id probly use it more ( so hopefully the iphone will help open those opportunities) I just need to figure out whats best for me.

You don't give them a number to call you at. Why would you, if you can't hear them? I have NO phone numbers on file with any of my utilities or banking. I do everything online. It's far easier these days than you think.
Apparently you havent signed up for anything online, I bet 100% of anything you have to enter a phone number or it wont submit... that there pisses me off as there is no other way on some to contact other than an 800 number and so....you know where that falls into place.

Sorry if I have missed this part, Sono, but do you have a smartphone? You could download a relay onto that, if you do. There's the Sprint WebCaptel (in which you can still speak and then read captions) or other relays. Most of the text-based relays (like IP relay have gone away, unfortunately, but there are still other options). If you can tell us what you have for phones and landlines or wireless, maybe we can offer you some suggestions.

Jiro, I did use a relay operator before, My sister had a deaf roommate I would talk, they typed and relayed what she typed back to my by voice ( when I could hear and had an amplified phone) but that was back in the 80's and only used it a few times. Now I prefer to just type, although I can talk. When my wife and I would go places she refused to talk to me but would sign, forcing me to catch on better, but I was and am more comfortable talking in person since I cant yet carry a conversation in ASL. My hands are stiff from years of abuse as a laborer, hell I even hunt n peck at the keyboard but Im fast at it, just can type like a normal office worker...lol
I am basically new to all the deaf technology as it was never offered to me as a child, nor did I have resources ( my parents were never offered help or resources as well) and myself, I denied I was hoh, but now I accept it as I am deaf after years of losing my hearing, I accepted it years ago (when I started getting hearing aids) and it just got worst, no way around it, i was doomed...and here I am with CI.

I've met older deafies with stiff hands. we can communicate just fine. heck... I've chit-chatted with a deafie with only one hand cuz his other hand got eaten up by a machine. he used to work at Boeing factory. now he's a paparazzi. I'm serious lol

Apparently you havent signed up for anything online, I bet 100% of anything you have to enter a phone number or it wont submit... that there pisses me off as there is no other way on some to contact other than an 800 number and so....you know where that falls into place.

You are absolutely correct - I use my Relay number as the number I have to sign up with. It either directs them to nothing, or to voicemail (in which they don't leave any messages.) You can get a Relay number if you sign up with Sprint. I don't have a home phone or landline, so this was an easy solution.

(EDIT: just so you know, signing up for the Sprint Relay is free. It's not a phone plan or anything like that.)

I had sorensen come out for a VP that was to be hooked up with the tv, I was like...NAH, I dont sit in front of the tv all day, Im always out and about and it just seemed like it would collect more dust that get used, so I declined it... if it was a mobile device, Id probly use it more ( so hopefully the iphone will help open those opportunities) I just need to figure out whats best for me.

Sono, these days Sorenson is much better than it was a few years back. You can have the same VP number for all your devices, and you would never miss a call again. As soon as I move, I intend to sign up for that service.

Let me give you some insight Paul as well as some others.
I was born HOH in 1968, so that makes me 46 now..
my hearing has degraded over the years and the last few it has dropped like a rock. Now my parents know I couldnt hear well, and as it got worst I had to have my mom repeat 100 times or more as she would look away, talk softly ,,ect... so she knows.
Recently I had CI surgery so I have no residual hearing at all, where before I could barely hear on the cell phone turned all the way up but now my ears are dead, nothing. so I am in a whole new ball game right now. My mom knows I am deaf now 100% she has seen the surgery results and we have talked but she still acts like I can hear her, I cant. I can lip read and I know basic ASL and still learning ASL but she doesnt know ASL, my daughter knows some and she can fingerspell good, but we have no one else in the family that are deaf/DEAF... so Im more of a drop in the bucket here. My wife did a lot of things for me, but we are no longer together so Im on my own and alone in this Journey now. We have taught our son ASL (basics) so at least I can understand him and what he needs/wants. Until my CI is activated this friday, I have no clue what it holds for me yet. This wasnt a rant thread, just a post about how Hearies are somewhat ignorant to us either they are friends or family. Now get out of your hostile moods before I get on my high horse and start setting it straight...lol
Wow, your thread is already popular within several hours.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your background with us. We really appreciate it. Unfortunately, things happen that way. However, what most people say to us, FACE THE WORLD. Oh yeah, we suffered for many years to face the world.

You are not the only one HOH here. There are many of them coming here to find the ways of how to communicate with the hearing world independently.

It's time for you to be on your own since you have available help through relay service. Don't be afraid (JK).

Back