Grrrrrrrrrr

Sorry if I have missed this part, Sono, but do you have a smartphone? You could download a relay onto that, if you do. There's the Sprint WebCaptel (in which you can still speak and then read captions) or other relays. Most of the text-based relays (like IP relay have gone away, unfortunately, but there are still other options). If you can tell us what you have for phones and landlines or wireless, maybe we can offer you some suggestions.
I recently got the iphone6, in part because its compatable with my new CI/processor. I am a doofus when it comes to all the new techie stuff as Ive never been a gamer or a computer wiz ( although my friends are ) just this past christmas my buddy (who has the iphones as well) was like you dont have facetime, you dont have this or that and turning all this crap on/off on my phone, Im like WTH???? stop!!!!
I dont know whats costing me, whats free...ect... I dont even know how to use it yet. I had facebook on , dont know how i did it but then took me hours to figure out to turn it off as I was getting buzzed every few seconds for new posts...geeze. so I keep that strictly to my computer. I just want my phone to contact friends and family or businesses I need to contact that are important. I dont need games and all that crap, although I like having the weather and directions app. Remeber , my last cell phone as well as all the others I had was a standard flip phone, so I jumped from the dinosaur age into the space age now.... and it is rocket science to me...lol

Wow, your thread is already popular within several hours.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your background with us. We really appreciate it. Unfortunately, things happen that way. However, what most people say to us, FACE THE WORLD. Oh yeah, we suffered for many years to face the world.

You are not the only one HOH here. There are many of them coming here to find the ways of how to communicate with the hearing world independently.

It's time for you to be on your own since you have available help through relay service. Don't be afraid (JK).
well I WAS hoh, now just deaf... cant get any worst I suppose.
Im not afraid, just get aggrevated with not having forms of communications, didnt really sink in til after the CI surgery, then Im like oh crap, now what do I do? besides with my wife and I seperated I have no one here to rely on or help me as she did.

so now thinking back on it, I see how the DEAF community is so hostile even with their own, doesnt matter if late deafened or HOH and so... a lot of them are hostile just because you were "officially DEAF at birth, which is ignorant in my eyes and shame on you !

I can dig this ,b/c that is just was happen to me when I went to the office for deaf and HOH students in college to get some help , I was treated very hostile b/c I did not know ASL , the office was for hoh students that talk too but if looks could had kill I would had been dead !

Sono, these days Sorenson is much better than it was a few years back. You can have the same VP number for all your devices, and you would never miss a call again. As soon as I move, I intend to sign up for that service.
They really didnt offer me much, other than the VP hooked to a tv, whatever tv it was on it stayed and had to be a HD tv, which we had 1 in the bedroom.
But if i need to make a call, I dont want to be restricted to a certain area of the house.

well I WAS hoh, now just deaf... cant get any worst I suppose.
Im not afraid, just get aggrevated with not having forms of communications, didnt really sink in til after the CI surgery, then Im like oh crap, now what do I do? besides with my wife and I seperated I have no one here to rely on or help me as she did.
Now you know what to do. We, deafies make it so can you. Welcome to the deaf world!

They really didnt offer me much, other than the VP hooked to a tv, whatever tv it was on it stayed and had to be a HD tv, which we had 1 in the bedroom.
But if i need to make a call, I dont want to be restricted to a certain area of the house.

They have mobile VP, too. I've used it before, but with no webcam phone, I am unable to at the moment. Maybe by spring I'll have a new phone. That's why Sorenson is very popular-- that same number can be used either at home or while traveling. And the software is free to use and download.

Now you know what to do. We, deafies make it so can you. Welcome to the deaf world!
Yeah, I have suffered along the way, I know how it feels even though I was a "partial hearie" lol
Now its just getting informed, finding resources and moving forward.
since I already accepted the deaf world years ago, but only recently dove into everything, Im still learning, still researching. Just wish the world offered more to me as a child or young adulthood rather than me fighting for everything. VR should have more offerings rather than shut us out, that in itself is wrong as we need the resources. I am going to ask my doctor/surgeon if theres anything/anywhere I can get equipment/help besides VR as they basically shut their doors on me. I once thought they were great ( for getting hearing aids) but now they wont do much more than job trainings here.

How old is your mom? If she is anywhere upward of 60, she might be slipping a little. Just sayin..
Maybe but the conversation doesn't read to me like that.

My parents and aunt are all over 70... each of them are different. 1 hates texting and has some trouble with it, 1 is not a technophile in the least-- actually doesn't LIKE computers but she is competent enough to use the Mac for basic stuff and is able to text- just takes her a while to learn and get comfy. 1 (My father) is pretty comfortable with tech even though he is the only one who does NOT have a smart phone... a flip phone that pretty much only does voice calls and texting (predictive or whatever it is with the number pad).. he's fine.

None of them are 'slipping'- they are all sharp minded. While I can hear on the phone I still have asked them for help in the past and still do when I felt the need to (which isn't often but desperate times call for desperate measures).

If your mom is so resistant I don't know if any kind of 'intervention' or sit down will do any good. Either suck it up or deal with it as best as you can or find other ways around it (like not asking her ever again).

Yeah, one free VP per a deaf family member per household. For example, if you have three deaf family members in your household, they will provide three free VPs. That's their policy. One VP better than nothing, don't you think?

sometimes I want to choke the shit out of my mom, seriously.
This is the actual conversation (copy/paste)
can you call my home insurance company for me

Why can't you

how many times I have to say I cant hear shit

IM DEAF

Lol. Really.

otherwise, Id answer the damn phone.

Didn't you just see me at
my daughters wedding,
Christmas eve or was that
some Alien Being that
took over your body?

She just doesnt get it, talks to me like I can hear yet I have to ask her to text or write it down ( or my daughter sign to me if shes present) geeze.

at least she see you got body,my mother is real piece of work but she gets A+for bitch she been to me over the years

Yeah, one free VP per a deaf family member per household. For example, if you have three deaf family members in your household, they will provide three free VPs. That's their policy. One VP better than nothing, don't you think?
Not if its something I wont use, why take something that could benefit someone else who would actually use it?

Like my sister , she would get free hearing aids through VR but would not wear them, and I mean NEVER Worn ! that pissed me off, as there are children, adults out there that would benefit from them yet she just took one away from a child in desperate need. I told my sister if she went for another pair I would call them and tell them she doesnt wear them.... she is nearly deaf as well and will take anything and everything just because its free, which is wrong in my eyes, again, their are people who are in desperate need of some items, either it be HA, food, clothes...
but all in all, if I dont need it, wont use it, i dont just take it because its free. Now that I need things, they are not available possibly because some abused the system in the past and it all trickles down to those in need... and it hurts us.

Maybe but the conversation doesn't read to me like that.

My parents and aunt are all over 70... each of them are different. 1 hates texting and has some trouble with it, 1 is not a technophile in the least-- actually doesn't LIKE computers but she is competent enough to use the Mac for basic stuff and is able to text- just takes her a while to learn and get comfy. 1 (My father) is pretty comfortable with tech even though he is the only one who does NOT have a smart phone... a flip phone that pretty much only does voice calls and texting (predictive or whatever it is with the number pad).. he's fine.

None of them are 'slipping'- they are all sharp minded. While I can hear on the phone I still have asked them for help in the past and still do when I felt the need to (which isn't often but desperate times call for desperate measures).

If your mom is so resistant I don't know if any kind of 'intervention' or sit down will do any good. Either suck it up or deal with it as best as you can or find other ways around it (like not asking her ever again).
I never forget my best deaf friend who was like 60 years old (that was a long time ago), his employer (newspaper company) required him to learn how to use a computer. He was like "hell no, I am getting retired".

at least she see you got body,my mother is real piece of work but she gets A+for bitch she been to me over the years
Yeah, Im not real close to my mom for the way she treats me, but I am very close to my dad. My dad has no problem with talking up or making an effort to communicate with me. My mom is something else in a world all her own, has her good days but then has more bad days. I cant blame her since my sister practically suffocates them.

I never forget my best deaf friend who was like 60 years old (that was a long time ago), his employer (newspaper company) required him to learn how to use a computer. He was like "hell no, I am getting retired".
I love learning new things, its just the techie stuff Im slow at, but you give me tools, I can build, I can fix or I can destroy.

was not aware but the point is that you are not supposed to be helpless because of that. Internet has everything you need so you don't need your mom's help anymore. Be a big man! I mean what if your mom is gone? How would you handle it yourself? Bother next door and ask for help?

I've read further down but wanted to comment-- The internet doesn't necessarily have EVERYTHING. I've been to countless sites (shopping, bank, etc) and many (as CB2 was stating) don't always have "live chat" or even an email contact info. Or if they do they hide it so damned well you spend three days looking for it (been there done that).

All of the VRS services now provide mobile or PC/Mac software. You need wifi for the mobile at least and for the PC/Mac either direct connection to internet or wifi (I have ZVRS on my PC via wifi- works very well - didn't bother with the hardware equipment-- no room in this room anyway).

I've done the phone numbers-- countless job applications ask for it. The firs thing I always try is to enter it as 000-000-0000 (or 999-999-9999) if that fails then I put in just the area code then all zeros... if THAT fails.. I now put in my VRS number as it's a better way if they do leave a message since with mobile the voice to text feature I had on T Mobile sucked- not sure on verizon... not spending the money after the free trial ends. I avoid IPRelay unfortunately- never had a good experience. Right now I'm looking at getting a compact TTY off of EBay (32.00!) as some companies DO still use direct TTY numbers.

Anyway... take your time Sono- it's tough navigating through all the deaf equipment/services available now. Even though I started to learn about all that at 18 (entering into Gallaudet), my mind still swims lol.

Not if its something I wont use, why take something that could benefit someone else who would actually use it?

Like my sister , she would get free hearing aids through VR but would not wear them, and I mean NEVER Worn ! that pissed me off, as there are children, adults out there that would benefit from them yet she just took one away from a child in desperate need. I told my sister if she went for another pair I would call them and tell them she doesnt wear them.... she is nearly deaf as well and will take anything and everything just because its free, which is wrong in my eyes, again, their are people who are in desperate need of some items, either it be HA, food, clothes...
but all in all, if I dont need it, wont use it, i dont just take it because its free. Now that I need things, they are not available possibly because some abused the system in the past and it all trickles down to those in need... and it hurts us.
Never mind your sister. You are learning ASL so VP will be useful for you in the near future. BTW, how advanced (in ASL) are you so far? Have you met any ASLers around?

I'm the same way. I have yet to use VR because I have been able to afford my HAs in one fashion or another. I didn't want to take away from the less fortunate. The next time I need new ones, I may need to go to VR, though. My daughter did use VR for her HAs but they would not pay for the streamer.

I've read further down but wanted to comment-- The internet doesn't necessarily have EVERYTHING. I've been to countless sites (shopping, bank, etc) and many (as CB2 was stating) don't always have "live chat" or even an email contact info. Or if they do they hide it so damned well you spend three days looking for it (been there done that).

All of the VRS services now provide mobile or PC/Mac software. You need wifi for the mobile at least and for the PC/Mac either direct connection to internet or wifi (I have ZVRS on my PC via wifi- works very well - didn't bother with the hardware equipment-- no room in this room anyway).

I've done the phone numbers-- countless job applications ask for it. The firs thing I always try is to enter it as 000-000-0000 (or 999-999-9999) if that fails then I put in just the area code then all zeros... if THAT fails.. I now put in my VRS number as it's a better way if they do leave a message since with mobile the voice to text feature I had on T Mobile sucked- not sure on verizon... not spending the money after the free trial ends. I avoid IPRelay unfortunately- never had a good experience. Right now I'm looking at getting a compact TTY off of EBay (32.00!) as some companies DO still use direct TTY numbers.

Anyway... take your time Sono- it's tough navigating through all the deaf equipment/services available now. Even though I started to learn about all that at 18 (entering into Gallaudet), my mind still swims lol.

In the bold part-- not necessarily. 3G and 4G also works. Had to do that when I went down south to visit family. The Internet service I use for travel doesn't work down there, so 3G/4G is a must.

This is where I think I would have a cow~!!! I am more desperate in keeping what I have instead of buying new ones and just repair what I have. I even gave away one of my best pair to another child I knew needed them and the parents could not afford to get a pair and that is when I didn't know to send them to VR to get them help. I am in idiot in knowing new things with technology but I have an iPhone and thankful that my kids can teach me or help me when its needed.. I have to admit. I was able to get my hearing aids through the military for 21 yrs and thankful that all I had to pay was my co-pay for the services.. Now, it bites, hard~! I agree.. it hurts everyone in the process when the system is being abused. I am guilty of buying a pair every four years while I could.. hence why I have five pairs of analogs and just need to send them in to be fixed. I had no idea that they could be fixed.. hence I am an idiot!

Never mind your sister. You are learning ASL so VP will be useful for you in the near future. BTW, how advanced (in ASL) are you so far? Have you met any ASLers around?
I am ASL I, basic I suppose. I cant carry a conversation but can carry a chopped up put together, round about way of explaining stuff.
I dont know anyone with ASL other than my wife who was learning with me. There are workers at Home Depot, Hoods and some eateries here that know ASL but not friends or anything yet.... so really I have no one to practice, communicate with. When my wife and I would talk, i guess I was lazy on my part since she could hear I would talk to her but she would sign to me, then she started ignoring me or wearing ear plugs til I used ASL to respond. I can "read" it better than display it since my fingers are so stiff, i have seen others use ASL when out in public but they, I guess being super experienced, seem to just flag their hands around barely changing finger styles/shapes and I had no clue what they were signing? I mean seriously, next time I will try and snap a video, it looks as it tucking the thumbs and fingers together and flagging for a taxi... and they just carry on. Is it that advanced to do ASL with minimal movements and still know what they are saying even when every movement looks practically the same? wow.

Back