Granny's taking computer classes ;)

What are you planning to take?
I'm not sure yet. I'm taking all the core classes first, to see which direction I like. I'm pretty sure that I don't like programming or gaming as a career.

Back in the 80's, when I took BASIC, COBOL, and FORTRAN, I liked doing the programming and debugging in the classroom and lab but I didn't have the patience to pursue it for a career. I don't want to spend my days sitting in a cubicle staring at a screen. I want to do something that will put me in touch with the users. Maybe help desk or tutoring, especially working with senior citizens or users with learning challenges.

(Aside--in my 80's programming classes, I used a plastic template for drawing the flowchart symbols; I still have it, along with my slide rule. :lol: )

I'm not sure yet. I'm taking all the core classes first, to see which direction I like. I'm pretty sure that I don't like programming or gaming as a career.

Back in the 80's, when I took BASIC, COBOL, and FORTRAN, I liked doing the programming and debugging in the classroom and lab but I didn't have the patience to pursue it for a career. I don't want to spend my days sitting in a cubicle staring at a screen. I want to do something that will put me in touch with the users. Maybe help desk or tutoring, especially working with senior citizens or users with learning challenges.

(Aside--in my 80's programming classes, I used a plastic template for drawing the flowchart symbols; I still have it, along with my slide rule. :lol: )

You could work either in the tech support field or network administration field.

I am currently studying in the programming field. I have been programming for 16 years. It is fun to design, create, and maintain programs. I once made a short game with me being the programmer and my brother being the graphic artist.

Umm. From the list, look like you could take CompTIA A+ (great for PC troubleshooting especially hardware), maybe one of networking course, and something relating to operating system. That something you could help other people who have no clue how to use computer.

I took Networking Technician Certification course 2 years ago when my job of 20 years was bought out and closed down. I decided to go for career change, but ended up only obtained A+ certification and had no time to take test for Network+, CCNET, Security+, and MCP, unfortunately. But I learned great deal from those classes.

Umm. From the list, look like you could take CompTIA A+ (great for PC troubleshooting especially hardware), maybe one of networking course, and something relating to operating system. That something you could help other people who have no clue how to use computer.

I took Networking Technician Certification course 2 years ago when my job of 20 years was bought out and closed down. I decided to go for career change, but ended up only obtained A+ certification and had no time to take test for Network+, CCNET, Security+, and MCP, unfortunately. But I learned great deal from those classes.

I concur because with CompTIA, you can get certified and be on your way to help resolve PC problems that arise with hardware and/or software. There are still a great deal of people who don't have much working knowledge of their operating system and the utility programs that are used to maintain the operating system.

Networking like I said would be a possible field for you, Reba. Of course, the field you choose will greatly depend on the availability of jobs in those fields in your area. That is, if you don't want to relocate!

I concur because with CompTIA, you can get certified and be on your way to help resolve PC problems that arise with hardware and/or software. There are still a great deal of people who don't have much working knowledge of their operating system and the utility programs that are used to maintain the operating system.

Networking like I said would be a possible field for you, Reba. Of course, the field you choose will greatly depend on the availability of jobs in those fields in your area. That is, if you don't want to relocate!
At this stage of life, I'm not relocating. :lol:

At this stage of life, I'm not relocating. :lol:

Haha. Of course, not unless if you think the grass is greener on the other side. :-p

It is always a pain to move, but if it is to relocate to another place and remain for the rest of one's natural life, so be it. Haha.

Haha. Of course, not unless if you think the grass is greener on the other side. :-p

It is always a pain to move, but if it is to relocate to another place and remain for the rest of one's natural life, so be it. Haha.
I did plenty of moving in my younger years; been there, done that. My husband has his business here, our daughter, son in law, and grandsons live here, so I'm happy to stay here.

After completion of bachelor degree in IT, I'm going move back to west coast.

I did plenty of moving in my younger years; been there, done that. My husband has his business here, our daughter, son in law, and grandsons live here, so I'm happy to stay here.

Yeah, I know how that is. I have done plenty of moving around too. I am ready to settle down where I am only if its God's will. It is always good to live near your family because it can be hard financially, emotionally, and mentally for one to be away from their family.

After completion of bachelor degree in IT, I'm going move back to west coast.

There's plenty of computer jobs in the West even though they are competitive! How much longer till you will obtain your Bachelors?

Yeah, I know how that is. I have done plenty of moving around too. I am ready to settle down where I am only if its God's will. It is always good to live near your family because it can be hard financially, emotionally, and mentally for one to be away from their family.

There's plenty of computer jobs in the West even though they are competitive! How much longer till you will obtain your Bachelors?

2-3 years.

It was some delay because I had took unnecessary remedial classes and one semester break due worst IBS attack.

This is the list of electives from which I will choose five:

Computer Technology Electives

Microcomputer Programming

Visual Basic Programming
C++ Programming I
C++ Programming II
Data Structures
Introduction to Java Programming
Internet Programming
Active Server Pages
PHP Programming I
Datum and JavaScript
Unix Systems Operations
Network Fundamentals
Linux Essentials
Linux System Administration
Linux Network Applications
Cisco Routing
Cisco Internetworking Concepts
Cisco Router Configuration
Advanced Cisco Router
Configuration
Cisco Troubleshooting
Database
Database
Relational Database
A+
Computer Resource Management
Introduction to Network Administration
Network Fundamentals
Linux Essentials
IT and Data Assurance I
Computer Gaming
Computer Game Development
Other
Information Systems Security
Microcomputer Multimedia Concepts and Applications
Cooperative Work Experience
Introduction to Workstation
Networking Administration
Handheld Computer Programming
Technical Support Internship I

i see,

how do you know research?!! lots of aware? experience? more than? do you study on more Computer?

i see,

how do you know research?!! lots of aware? experience? more than? do you study on more Computer?
I take online classes from the college. I use my home computer. I can download the software programs that I need, for free, for the internet. I read the textbook chapters, and do the assignments that are in the books. I also do other assignments that we get from the online instructions. If we students have questions, we either email the instructor, or we can discuss the questions with the instructor and other students at the online discussion boards.

For the AS/400 class, we also connect to the college's IBM server.

I take online classes from the college. I use my home computer. I can download the software programs that I need, for free, for the internet. I read the textbook chapters, and do the assignments that are in the books. I also do other assignments that we get from the online instructions. If we students have questions, we either email the instructor, or we can discuss the questions with the instructor and other students at the online discussion boards.

For the AS/400 class, we also connect to the college's IBM server.

Great for you,! that is great!

I have 91 transferable credits, about 40 non-transferable from my ITP, and about 24 non-transferable from previous college courses.

I can use only 9 of the transferable credits towards my current degree. The other 63 credits I have to take. I've finished 3, and I'm taking 6 now. I hope to take 12 this fall, if I can get into classes with openings.

By the time I finish this degree, I should have well over 200 credit hours. Crazy! :lol:

my son teaching husband how use computer still has not worked out how turn it on...he driving me to insanety

Back