Granny's taking computer classes ;)

I was hoping to work in the field but now with the Parkinson's, I'm not sure that will be possible. However, my secondary goal is to prove to myself and others that old ladies can get degrees in technical fields. Also, I'm hoping that these classes help keep my mind sharp.

I just hate to quit now. :(

Awww, you didn't have to prove it to us. :(
I also try to exercise my mind and brain, since I get the feeling my memory loss is not normal. Dad had Alzheimer's and I think Mom does as well, and I will fight it every step of the way.
Looks like I will have to get a word processor because the electric typewriter's keys are getting worn, just like us. Ach.

I also try to exercise my mind and brain, since I get the feeling my memory loss is not normal. Dad had Alzheimer's and I think Mom does as well, and I will fight it every step of the way.
Looks like I will have to get a word processor because the electric typewriter's keys are getting worn, just like us. Ach.

you have to
icon14.gif

You just reminded me of a very old manual typewriter that we had around the office that I worked in for many years. The keys had all the letters worn off and some of the keys themselves were worn down. But . . . they action was so balanced for which finger would hit the key when touch typing that a number of us really liked it. Then one of the young guys that had not learned to touch type sat down at it because he had not looked at it that closely. He soon got up and switched to one of the ones that was not worn off.

Off topic but you "Ach" makes me wonder if you are in, or come from, a community where a lot of German speaking immigrants live. I do think I remember you saying something about being in the US though.

You just reminded me of a very old manual typewriter that we had around the office that I worked in for many years. The keys had all the letters worn off and some of the keys themselves were worn down. But . . . they action was so balanced for which finger would hit the key when touch typing that a number of us really liked it. Then one of the young guys that had not learned to touch type sat down at it because he had not looked at it that closely. He soon got up and switched to one of the ones that was not worn off.

Off topic but you "Ach" makes me wonder if you are in, or come from, a community where a lot of German speaking immigrants live. I do think I remember you saying something about being in the US though.

At least I didn't say "Begorra." I just threw the "Ach" out there. lol
Born and bred in the USA, I am, and went to schools in quite a few states.
Mom's side of the family were the Beatons in Scotland, an ancient clan made up of medical professionals, and I am still being astonished at how many of us were thrown into dungeons and prisons. :hmm:

I was hoping to work in the field but now with the Parkinson's, I'm not sure that will be possible. However, my secondary goal is to prove to myself and others that old ladies can get degrees in technical fields. Also, I'm hoping that these classes help keep my mind sharp.

You got diagnosed with Parkinson's recently?

I'm very sorry about you have this disease and hopefully this disease doesn't become worse or spread. :(

God bless you.

You got diagnosed with Parkinson's recently?

I'm very sorry about you have this disease and hopefully this disease doesn't become worse or spread. :(

God bless you.
I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Parkinson's Disease on March 19. I take meds which help control some of the symptoms but I never feel healthy. It will eventually get worse. I hope not soon.

This morning I gathered our class course books. The course that Reba just finished and the course I just finished and a couple of my older books from this past fall.

Drove to the school's main campus to get a few bucks for unmarked, like new books. Went into the bookstore and the woman scanned each one and said we (college) are not using any of these. If you would like, you can leave them in a box for us to recycle.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT $600! I got nothing back. Not even money for the 32 mile round trip in fuel. I sense a conspiracy? :hmm:

I don't like seeing you say that. Quit isn't in your vocabulary and your mind is as sharp as a tack. Some of your posts made me wish I'd have thought of that (especially the one it wasn't an arm and a leg just a few inches off a foot long arm) ;) Never give up. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

many people with disabilities get into IT fields because they can work from home...... like me :lol:

Well, I've registered for two classes this summer. I don't know if I'll be able to complete them but I'll try.

They are:

Computer End-User Support and Computer Forensics

I registered 4 classes at Gallaudet University: ITS 202 - Hardware Essentials, GSR 210, MAT 130 - Precalculus and PE course.

It will not start until fall - August 25.

I registered 4 classes at Gallaudet University: ITS 202 - Hardware Essentials, GSR 210, MAT 130 - Precalculus and PE course.

It will not start until fall - August 25.
What kind of PE?

Well, I've registered for two classes this summer. I don't know if I'll be able to complete them but I'll try.

They are:

Computer End-User Support and Computer Forensics

I didn't know there was such course called Computer Forensics and had to Google it up to see what it was about and what it covers.

Sound like a cool course, wish my University offer this course. Maybe I need to find one online somewhere.

I didn't know there was such course called Computer Forensics and had to Google it up to see what it was about and what it covers.

Sound like a cool course, wish my University offer this course. Maybe I need to find one online somewhere.

I think the one Reba is taking is online. Check with her to see if it requires any time at all on campus.

I think the one Reba is taking is online. Check with her to see if it requires any time at all on campus.
It's all online. I'm sure other colleges offer it, too.

I'm kinda discouraged today.

I'm doing well in my two classes. That's not the problem.

It's the program itself.

Because it is a technical program, the requirements keep changing. I understand that. However, at this rate, I'll never be able to graduate.

Some of the required courses I started out with, and have taken, have been removed, so those were for nothing. Now, I have to take about four (maybe more) new courses instead. To make things worse, my academic evaluation shows that I still need to take a couple more courses that aren't even offered anymore.

It's a 72-hour program. I've finished 54, and am now taking 6, which totals 60. That would leave 12 hours, or 4 courses. I was planning on taking two this fall, and two next spring, then graduate.

However, with the updated program, it looks like I will need to take at least an additional four classes. Since that will add another year to my grad date, I expect the requirements will change again during that time. Then, I'll have to add more classes, and take an additional year.

Most colleges let you graduate under the original catalog requirements that you start with. However, even if that's allowed for me, I can't fulfill those requirements either because they don't offer the classes anymore. If I convert to the current catalog year I almost have to start over the second year.

I contacted my advisor, and told him my problem. I hope some kind of compromise can be worked out.

Back