Grammar among Deaf People

For instance, I noticed they tend to do that kind of grammar:

It worked beautiful.
Yeah, but on the other hand, that type of mistake is often made by hearing people too! What about Apple Computer's slogan "Think Different."
I was also in Wal-Mart and I found irrefutable evidence that our society has been dumbed down. I found a cool looking clock and it had the DUMBEST grammartical mistake EVER...(your instead of you're!....How hard is it to remember that rule? Iyiyiyi!)

Jess and Signer16, I can't thank you guys enough for understanding AND answering my question!

Needless to say,, I was trying not to criticize some deaf people with poor grasp of English in general but rather find out why ed/ing tend to get mixed up. Apparently some mistook my question for that :(

I do know that hearing people do make mistakes as much as deaf people but I was just curious about the ed/ing and how/why it tend to occur among many deaf people.

You both nailed it right on the spot!!!! I understand much more clearly now :)

Some thoughts on this

Good one, and I DO have good reason here... ALmost all deafies who learn english though english instead of ASL. Thats the MAJOR problem!!! Deafies' natural language happened to be ASL. Problem is that they were never educated about ASL in the first place so that they can better understand english! There was so much opposition in hearing world on ASL from pre school to even in college! hearing thinks its BAD IDEA or WRONG to teach deafies english with ASL... Me frown!

Why do I think this way. about 10 years ago, I learned what ASL really is, I dropped my jaw and realize that it is a LANGUAGE PERIOD. ASL has its own rules, syntacs, structures, etc. Same with English language. Unfortunately Deafies just happen to use these rules naturally and not even know it. If they had knew there is such thing in ASL, they can better compare English and ASL and will always say ohhh got it... It rarely happened.

DHB

Can I ask a question; How do you translate "learning" in your mind? The reason I ask is because .. for instance, one might translate hearing propaganda from one or two or three seemingly authoritative sources without critically questioning it, as learning.

While given that ASL does have a history of it's own and a natural progression, evolution even, in its own ... the thing that I find unacceptable is that our education system in this day and age cannot continue teaching our deaf brothers and sisters, sons and daughters that ASL is a full language (How can it possibly be? It is a substitution of 1/3 (speaking-any language - the other two being reading and writing) of a language.). Please try to understand that it is only a visual communication tool. To know and use ASL as your primary communicating language is fine. But you cannot say that you know and understand fluent English. We cannot allow young adults to graduate under false pretenses. Be it them being ignorant of this. We must thoroughly educate and test their grammatical skills! Regardless of budget!

This is clearly a failing of our educational system. Not all though, I've found that if children are immersed with hearing peers in normal school&class settings the assimilation of the written/read English language with it's syntax, structure and grammatical rules is profoundly greater. Strictly deaf classes in were there is prolonged isolation in deaf groups is, my opinion only, where this problem is bred quickest.

There is pride in the deaf community to not consider their deafness as a disability yet it seems a majority chooses not to address their educational setbacks/disadvantages. Is that not a disability in it's self if you cannot communicate your thoughts on written paper on an intellectual level that the rest of the world.

I believe not only the deaf community but our society in general (in North America, I guess) needs to address this and completely revamp their educational system - at least starting in this province (I'm typing from Vancouver, BC).

Can I ask a question; How do you translate "learning" in your mind? The reason I ask is because .. for instance, one might translate hearing propaganda from one or two or three seemingly authoritative sources without critically questioning it, as learning.

While given that ASL does have a history of it's own and a natural progression, evolution even, in its own ... the thing that I find unacceptable is that our education system in this day and age cannot continue teaching our deaf brothers and sisters, sons and daughters that ASL is a full language (How can it possibly be? It is a substitution of 1/3 (speaking-any language - the other two being reading and writing) of a language.). Please try to understand that it is only a visual communication tool. To know and use ASL as your primary communicating language is fine. But you cannot say that you know and understand fluent English. We cannot allow young adults to graduate under false pretenses. Be it them being ignorant of this. We must thoroughly educate and test their grammatical skills! Regardless of budget!

This is clearly a failing of our educational system. Not all though, I've found that if children are immersed with hearing peers in normal school&class settings the assimilation of the written/read English language with it's syntax, structure and grammatical rules is profoundly greater. Strictly deaf classes in were there is prolonged isolation in deaf groups is, my opinion only, where this problem is bred quickest.

There is pride in the deaf community to not consider their deafness as a disability yet it seems a majority chooses not to address their educational setbacks/disadvantages. Is that not a disability in it's self if you cannot communicate your thoughts on written paper on an intellectual level that the rest of the world.

I believe not only the deaf community but our society in general (in North America, I guess) needs to address this and completely revamp their educational system - at least starting in this province (I'm typing from Vancouver, BC).

Oh my GOD!!!! I cant believe how RIDICULOUS this is!!!

Some people here seriously need work or experience with teaching deaf children before they make statements like these!!!

So FALSE!!! Utterly false beyond my belief!

Not sure that I agree that ASL is not a language by virtue of it not having a written format; there are still languages (not merely dialects) that are only spoken, have no alphabet or writing system.

I have to agree with the many posters who stress early parental involvement in the education of their deaf children, regardless of the mode of communication used. If kids have to wait 5 years to learn decent language skills, precious time and opportunity is being squandered. Some parents are confused and don't know what to do with a deaf child, so they seem to leave it to the school system...no wonder there is such a language-delay problem!

Point: Parents!!!! Take your responsibility seriously! Do whatever it takes!

Can I ask a question; How do you translate "learning" in your mind?

Constipated,

Judging from the two dozen errors in your short question (rant?) I estimate your level of education at upper sixth, maybe lower seventh grade.

No problem. Asking ridiculous leading questions to which you smugly assume the audience thinks you have the answer is typical of your age.

It is hoped that by the time you graduate high school, if you do, you will know English well enough so you will not have to feel superior by comparing your obviously poor skills to those whose first language is other than English.

Hang in there and study, little guy. You can do better if you really try!

I thought that post might be sarcasm because of the meaning of "constipated".

@Chase:

I honestly don't think anything I've said was ridiculous. Jumping all over this without really voicing what was wrong and calling me premature, that's kind of immature, no? I raised genuine concerns and questions no?

I do not think that anything I've said was smug, just angry. I raised some legitimate concerns, but you sir are a troll. Good night mr troll. :)

My first language was from English and calling me out on grammatical errors on a forum board is retarded. You is fool a. <- Here's some more ammunition you can jump all over.

Not sure that I agree that ASL is not a language by virtue of it not having a written format; there are still languages (not merely dialects) that are only spoken, have no alphabet or writing system.

I have to agree with the many posters who stress early parental involvement in the education of their deaf children, regardless of the mode of communication used. If kids have to wait 5 years to learn decent language skills, precious time and opportunity is being squandered. Some parents are confused and don't know what to do with a deaf child, so they seem to leave it to the school system...no wonder there is such a language-delay problem!

Point: Parents!!!! Take your responsibility seriously! Do whatever it takes!

I may have misspoke when I said it doesn't have a writing system (the ASL alphabet) but in truth, is it not just a translational system for English?

I completely agree with getting involved, well i can only speak from my own experiences with my brother but it seems like that solely relying on the educational system of your city, country, etc without critically testing, being involved, pushing it to its limits as of terms of a rounded education that doesn't try to assimilate the Deaf Culture, but teaches them not to remain ignorant just because they are deaf.

I seem to remember that I've read somewhere obscure that involvement of ASL of a child at the age of when the vocal tracts, speech system isn't yet developed, ASL can be easily substituted and actually improves learning, absorption of new knowledge and the irritation of communication problems with your toddler.

Oh my GOD!!!! I cant believe how RIDICULOUS this is!!!

Some people here seriously need work or experience with teaching deaf children before they make statements like these!!!

So FALSE!!! Utterly false beyond my belief!

Saying these statements are false without any retorts completely defeats the purpose of a discussion. Thanks for your input but you do not deserve to post anything if you cannot back this up with any arguments. I do not teach deaf children, I merely have had a backseat view of what they go through as my brother has been deaf since I was born.

Saying these statements are false without any retorts completely defeats the purpose of a discussion. Thanks for your input but you do not deserve to post anything if you cannot back this up with any arguments. I do not teach deaf children, I merely have had a backseat view of what they go through as my brother has been deaf since I was born.

By using one person as an example justifies making a general statement like that? Interesting...

Back