"good morning"

Just don't do it with a closed fist and a scowl on the face.

Well, your facial expression and body language have to match your intended message. Also, the context of each sign relative to the others is important. That's probably beyond baby signs. :)

Umm, yes.

:lol:

you know, i learned 10 baby signs, and i was feeling like quite the expert...
:Ohno:
so facial expression..so far i have blank stare down..and thats about it.

well, my patented blank stare is ahead of the poor boy right now, unfortunately. this is just to tide me over til the classes start. i think having a real live person up there showing me what to do will help a LOT.

Baby Sign Language Dictionary - My Smart Hands

she claims that its american sign language..is it? because i took her word on it!
I didn't look at all the signs. The random ones that I checked looked ASL. However, keep in mind, that's a dictionary format, not a language teaching format. Would you try to learn to speak Russian by only using a Russian dictionary?

ASL dictionaries are good for reference and refresher but no one can learn to use the language from a dictionary, whatever the language.

Even SEE uses lots of ASL signs. It's how the signs are expressed and put together that make the difference. Just like reading a list of English words mixed with made-up words in ungrammatical order with a monotone voice isn't using the English language.

from Jiro - "there's nothing wrong with "hi" gesture. it's as good as "good morning" greeting"

from sally lou- "I use the what's up gesture. I'm trying to be hip."

------------------------

I generally use "hey", "hi", or "what's up?" when greeting people. Majority of people I know are my age and younger or very informal-

you know, i learned 10 baby signs, and i was feeling like quite the expert...
:Ohno:
so facial expression..so far i have blank stare down..and thats about it.

Frankiesmom, I just have to tell you, every time I see one of your posts, I just can't help but smile. You are an amazing mom! a good site, that my parents are actually starting to use *so excited you have no idea... actually being able to have a conversation with them!!!* • ASL • American Sign Language it doesn't just go through a dictionary, but it teaches you some of the grammar, and is ran by a Deaf man! ASL - American Sign Language that is the link for Dr. Vicars baby signs. Let me know if you have any questions! You are going to do wonderful things for you son, you already are!

thanks! i just hope i can learn..i would be so sad to not be able to talk to my son at all.
i figure that worse comes to worse, we can pass notes! hopefully i can learn at least something by the time hes school age!!

Just so you know, when i was a baby my mom taught me sign. whenever she forgot the sign for certain things she would ask me, I would teach her the sign for it.

I'll be honest here - dont be afraid of your kid surpassing you in sign language. It's a good thing; he's learning. Don't let yourself limit him. :)

ok..i am not trying to be rude or offensive but..the good morning sign almost looks like a rude gesture!

That reminds me.. When I was in the Deaf school, there was a new teacher that came in. He was 23 years old.

He was learning sign language. One of the first things us 6th graders taught him was the good morning sign, with a closed fist for morning.

This lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

The funny part was we had the first period so we got to teach him that. He used that for the 2nd, 3rd period classes too, and NOBODY said anything until a teacher saw him doing it. :giggle:

Mr. Vogel. If you see this... :aw:

That reminds me.. When I was in the Deaf school, there was a new teacher that came in. He was 23 years old.

He was learning sign language. One of the first things us 6th graders taught him was the good morning sign, with a closed fist for morning.

This lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

The funny part was we had the first period so we got to teach him that. He used that for the 2nd, 3rd period classes too, and NOBODY said anything until a teacher saw him doing it. :giggle:

Mr. Vogel. If you see this... :aw:

:laugh2:

well, my patented blank stare is ahead of the poor boy right now, unfortunately. this is just to tide me over til the classes start. i think having a real live person up there showing me what to do will help a LOT.

Yes, it will. Many people, when first learning, always have a sort of confused expression on their face because they are concentrating so hard on remembering the sign they need to use. Just remember to use the same facial expression you would use when giving the same message in English. Like, don't sign "Good morning" with a frown on your face.:P

Just so you know, when i was a baby my mom taught me sign. whenever she forgot the sign for certain things she would ask me, I would teach her the sign for it.

I'll be honest here - dont be afraid of your kid surpassing you in sign language. It's a good thing; he's learning. Don't let yourself limit him. :)

QFT. It only took my son about 6 months to get ahead of me, and he still corrects me from time to time!:lol:

Back