"gold digger" being overused.

In some states, most hiring is done thru state employment agencies. Many companies will not even accept an application except thru the state agency.

That is something I've always had a problem with. A lot of qualified people are denied the opportunity to be interviewed because of someone in the human resources not knowing any better.

Sad.

I have to admit it's quite audacious and frankly, quite offensive of you to assume deaf people don't try looking for work everywhere and that we're just lazy self-pitying people who think we're over-qualified for everything and can't figure things out on our own.
I agree that it's not a deaf/hearing problem. There are plenty of uneducated, unmotivated (lazy), unemployed or underemployed hearing people around, just as there are lots of hardworking, well-educated, successful, intelligent deaf people.

I agree that it's not a deaf/hearing problem. There are plenty of uneducated, unmotivated (lazy), unemployed or underemployed hearing people around, just as there are lots of hardworking, well-educated, successful, intelligent deaf people.

Ditto.

That is something I've always had a problem with. A lot of qualified people are denied the opportunity to be interviewed because of someone in the human resources not knowing any better.

Sad.
That is a very common way for large companies to outsource their hiring.

Many other companies, and especially government employers, are doing all their hiring via website applications.

The only way around some of these is by networking or having a personal contact within a company. Even then, an applicant can end up being rerouted to the "official" hiring channel. :(

That is a very common way for large companies to outsource their hiring.

Many other companies, and especially government employers, are doing all their hiring via website applications.

The only way around some of these is by networking or having a personal contact within a company. Even then, an applicant can end up being rerouted to the "official" hiring channel. :(

For many, it feels like being in the lottery.

Thank you Reba - couldn't help taking offense because way back when, when I was a single mother of two little kids, dead broke, I pounded the streets and knocked on every door that wasn't a residence in my neighbourhood and beyond and contacted so many agencies, employment agencies and agencies geared towards the deaf and nada. nada nada nada. so this blanket statement that deaf people think they're too over-qualified for menial labour is quite offensive to someone who broke down in tears so many times, wondering how the hell she can support her kids after spending day after day, week after week, month after month trying to get any job at all and subsisting on spaghetti noodles flavoured with soya sauce or toast with canned tuna so her kids can eat real food all because every single effort she made to find work failed.

It was a truly horrible miserable situation to be in and the the sense of despair was overwhelming at times.

so, hence, why i took offense.

Thank you Reba - couldn't help taking offense because way back when, when I was a single mother of two kids, dead broke, I pounded the streets and knocked on every door that wasn't a residence in my neighbourhood and beyond and contacted so many agencies, employment agencies and agencies geared towards the deaf and nada. nada nada nada. so this blanket statement that deaf people think they're too over-qualified for menial labour is quite offensive to someone who broke down in tears so many times, wondering how the hell she can support her kids after spending day after day, week after week, month after month trying to get any job at all and subsisting on spaghetti noodles flavoured with soya sauce or toast with canned tuna so her kids can eat real food all because every single effort she made to find work failed.

It was a truly horrible miserable situation to be in and the the sense of despair was overwhelming at times.

:hug:

Thank you Reba - couldn't help taking offense because way back when, when I was a single mother of two little kids, dead broke, I pounded the streets and knocked on every door that wasn't a residence in my neighbourhood and beyond and contacted so many agencies, employment agencies and agencies geared towards the deaf and nada. nada nada nada. so this blanket statement that deaf people think they're too over-qualified for menial labour is quite offensive to someone who broke down in tears so many times, wondering how the hell she can support her kids after spending day after day, week after week, month after month trying to get any job at all and subsisting on spaghetti noodles flavoured with soya sauce or toast with canned tuna so her kids can eat real food all because every single effort she made to find work failed.

That's what makes the whole thing just plainly awful. Our lives are controlled by the concept of money. It can either give us so much or destroy our lives.

Where did I say it was deaf overqualified unemployed persons? No I'm not saying its just deaf, people are people And yes they do hire, I know of people one who has masters who worked overnight stocking at target and my uncle is a farmer and he stopped growing cucumbers because he couldn't rely on migrants anymore due to them being unreliable. I'm not discriminating against deaf people. The image of the person At starbucks was thinking of was a wall street broker. Geez.

Yes I do agree with some however. Companies hire people who are already employed more than those who are not. Do not take offense, it's all about being resourceful, I'm sorry for those who had a hard time and still is struggling however for the growing number of people it's quite amazing how people take priorities. I don't really care what people say or what excuses are there the stats are there. Companies will hire if your willing to do work no one is willing to do. I have a degree and I actually can get a 2nd full time job if I really wanted that job. I have worked from the age of 15 doing under the table jobs no one wanted to do so I've been there.

For those who cannot do the physical part, like I said circumstances do happen. This is for those who don't want to do it. We hired an engineer recently who needed a job and he didn't last a day. Didn't accept the pay after he saw how much of a work it was. We have staff that come and go, I agree with the part of wasting resources training the person however if you know the right people in the industry you will be able to get a solid foot in the door.

I'm basically tired of people saying they don't have a job when I am the one that has to do the dirty work getting on my knees cleaning the toilet when my client could not care for themselves. And there are job openings. It's the stats, you're more likely to be hired if you already have a job. Sad but true. People really need to stop saying i know this guy blah blah. I'm saying the opposite I know the guy refused a job offering.

This is a double edge sword out there. I'm not discriminating against any deaf people please do not even think like that. I've been there and done it. I was willing when no one else was. How many unemployed persons are willing to be a maid? This is my last time I'll even continue to defend myself as I really don't care anymore what people think as if you're overqualified fine, keep on living your life while I'll keep on hooking up friends who really wants a job with a job.

Yes I've been discriminated so many times applying to different jobs it's a different ball game out there when it comes to being deaf, like I already said circumstances happen and whatever i said, taking offense for my experience in life,I don't care about what I have to do to make it out there.

I have a 85 year old grandfather that works as a greeter at costco he's working because he has to support the family. As my father does not feel its necessary to accept anything less than his title/salary. So let me tell you, when there is a will there is a way. Over qualification does happen, age issues does happen , discrimination of all kinds does happen but does that stop those people from getting one job they just needed? No.

I took jobs no one wanted. So no I disagree. The engineer just proved there is a validity in my flawed view about overqualified person.

Take care

I'm the same way. In a friendship, i will befriend everyone. But in a partner, I want someone that is accomplishing something in life. to me a gold digger is someone who wants a guy with money so she doesnt have to work. but being a well educated woman with a good job and wanting the same in a partner is not being a gold digger, its making sure that you arent being the one thats financially supporting the guy.

I have to admit it's quite audacious and frankly, quite offensive of you to assume deaf people don't try looking for work everywhere and that we're just lazy self-pitying people who think we're over-qualified for everything and can't figure things out on our own.

Agreed.

Where did I say it was deaf overqualified unemployed persons? No I'm not saying its just deaf, people are people And yes they do hire, I know of people one who has masters who worked overnight stocking at target and my uncle is a farmer and he stopped growing cucumbers because he couldn't rely on migrants anymore due to them being unreliable. I'm not discriminating against deaf people. The image of the person At starbucks was thinking of was a wall street broker. Geez.

Yes I do agree with some however. Companies hire people who are already employed more than those who are not. Do not take offense, it's all about being resourceful, I'm sorry for those who had a hard time and still is struggling however for the growing number of people it's quite amazing how people take priorities. I don't really care what people say or what excuses are there the stats are there. Companies will hire if your willing to do work no one is willing to do. I have a degree and I actually can get a 2nd full time job if I really wanted that job. I have worked from the age of 15 doing under the table jobs no one wanted to do so I've been there.

For those who cannot do the physical part, like I said circumstances do happen. This is for those who don't want to do it. We hired an engineer recently who needed a job and he didn't last a day. Didn't accept the pay after he saw how much of a work it was. We have staff that come and go, I agree with the part of wasting resources training the person however if you know the right people in the industry you will be able to get a solid foot in the door.

I'm basically tired of people saying they don't have a job when I am the one that has to do the dirty work getting on my knees cleaning the toilet when my client could not care for themselves. And there are job openings. It's the stats, you're more likely to be hired if you already have a job. Sad but true. People really need to stop saying i know this guy blah blah. I'm saying the opposite I know the guy refused a job offering.

This is a double edge sword out there. I'm not discriminating against any deaf people please do not even think like that. I've been there and done it. I was willing when no one else was. How many unemployed persons are willing to be a maid? This is my last time I'll even continue to defend myself as I really don't care anymore what people think as if you're overqualified fine, keep on living your life while I'll keep on hooking up friends who really wants a job with a job.

Yes I've been discriminated so many times applying to different jobs it's a different ball game out there when it comes to being deaf, like I already said circumstances happen and whatever i said, taking offense for my experience in life,I don't care about what I have to do to make it out there.

I have a 85 year old grandfather that works as a greeter at costco he's working because he has to support the family. As my father does not feel its necessary to accept anything less than his title/salary. So let me tell you, when there is a will there is a way. Over qualification does happen, age issues does happen , discrimination of all kinds does happen but does that stop those people from getting one job they just needed? No.

I took jobs no one wanted. So no I disagree. The engineer just proved there is a validity in my flawed view about overqualified person.

Take care

cya.

I agree with you.

I think that with the word "Gold Digger" being used too many times that the list of "rules" of being a gold digger has gotten longer and longer.

To me, it's basically someone who only seeks someone else for money and nothing else.

Back