giving up on asl

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is off-topic and I should know because I created it. The topic, in a broader sense, is about me and my difficulties in integrating into the deaf world. Please get back on topic.

Oh, my. Your difficulties integrating is the topic. See post #77 then.

He could tell you it wasn't correct because he had already internalized the grammatical structure of ASL. And why would he know the sign for Signed English? He signs ASL.

The problem here is you are trying to convince people that you know more about a language that you have been trying to learn for 2 years than they know about a language they have been using all of their lives. It's like going to Spain after 2 semesters of Spanish, and telling the Spanish speaking people that they don't know how to use their own language.

right.

jasin, take me for an example, i am a native asl signer but if you asked me questions about asl structure...im out. i could SHOW you, but i could not explain WHY. that is due to me never having an opportunity to take a formal asl class.

I wonder if the issue is you are having a hard time accepting feedback? especially from someone who you really don't know?

You would too if the feedback given, like in the example I gave, is not accurate or specific.

jasin, my bottom line is to encourage you NOT to give up learning asl due to a bad experience with a teacher or a deaf community member. as shel explained, it takes time and patience to learn and develop relationships with people and eventually, you will find a crowd and fit right in. this does not happen overnight.

when deaf people give you feedback, try to look at it from a positive outlook that he/she is just trying to help you rather than criticizing you.

no, not necessarily.

Exactly. That would vary by region. I have been signing ASL for 23+ years, and learned from native signing adults. My son is a native signer. We both fingerspell SEE,or if communicating with someone who does not know the acronym, sign SIGN LANGUAGE ENGLISH.

Just because you don't know does not mean its non-existent.

See, there you go. She is a native signer, and you are implying that you, as a beginning signer, know her language better than she does.

You would too if the feedback given, like in the example I gave, is not accurate or specific.

Would you prefer that they just let you keep making mistakes? I've been signing ASL for over 23 years. When a native corrects me, and at this point, it isn't very often, I pay attention to what they tell me. When I had only been signing a couple of years, I thanked them for their help when they corrected me. I didn't, under any circumstances, tell them they were wrong about their own language.

Jasin, Please dont take things so serious of what deaf people say about you. Just go with the flow.

when someone gives me feedback, i usually try to see it from their perspective rather than feel insulted. also, i try not to take things too personal. it is likely that the person knew you were an asl student and wanted to help?

on the positive side, at least the feedback that you received was on the asl and not some personality trait of yours. that would be even harder to accept/change.

why are you so resistant to feedback?

right.

jasin, take me for an example, i am a native asl signer but if you asked me questions about asl structure...im out. i could SHOW you, but i could not explain WHY. that is due to me never having an opportunity to take a formal asl class.

Showing in ASL is fine. That's still valid. That's natural signing, as I already stated some deaf do.

The problem with deafs who do not understanding basic ASL grammar, whether its textbook or natural or whatever else, comes in when that deaf person tries correcting another deaf persons grammar and/or signing and does not even have a clue as to what they are talking about or cannot even sign correctly themselves.

I feel like if you are going to correct another person at least have some clue as to what you are talking about and know why that person is wrong and at least be able to explain reasonably why they are wrong. That is just reasonable anyways, is it not?

Last edited:

when someone gives me feedback, i usually try to see it from their perspective rather than feel insulted. also, i try not to take things too personal. it is likely that the person knew you were an asl student and wanted to help?

on the positive side, at least the feedback that you received was on the asl and not some personality trait of yours. that would be even harder to accept/change.

Showing in ASL is fine. That's still valid. That's natural signing, as I already stated some deaf do.

The problem with deafs who do not understanding basic ASL grammar, whether its textbook or natural or whatever else, comes in when that deaf person tries correcting another deaf persons grammar and/or signing and does not even have a clue as to what they are talking about or cannot even sign correctly themselves.

I feel like if you are going to correct another person at least have some clue as to what you are talking about and know why that person is wrong and at least be able to explain reasonably why they are wrong. That is just reasonable anyways, is it not?

not being able to explain WHY does not mean we do not know the answer. i can definitely show you the CORRECT ASL structure. i just cant explain WHY. I would show you and then if you asked me why? i will say, just because i know! that is different from what you are trying to say.

That's fine, but as i have learnt through life some people are arrogant and just want to be right. They could careless.

not being able to explain WHY does not mean we do not know the answer. i can definitely show you the CORRECT ASL structure. i just cant explain WHY. I would show you and then if you asked me why? i will say, just because i know! that is different from what you are trying to say.

In my case it does. Also, that's not very good correction or instruction if you can't explain why something you suggest is wrong is wrong.

In my case it does. I did explain to that boy why I was not wrong and he still did not really care.

Perhaps because you were still wrong, and he was trying to help you by telling you that. Instead, you argued with him about his own language. Given those circumstances, most people won't care. They will just leave you to your mistakes.

Would you prefer that they just let you keep making mistakes? I've been signing ASL for over 23 years. When a native corrects me, and at this point, it isn't very often, I pay attention to what they tell me. When I had only been signing a couple of years, I thanked them for their help when they corrected me. I didn't, under any circumstances, tell them they were wrong about their own language.

you show a positive attitude towards accepting feedback. i think its only healthy when we do because it is an opportunity to learn about ourselves from an outside perspective. thank you for not giving up and being part of our community!

In my case it does. I did explain factually to that boy why I was not wrong and he still did not care much. Also, that's not very good correction or instruction if you can't explain why something you suggest is wrong is wrong.

since it was not your friend, the best approach would probably be for you to accept the feedback whether you support it or not, and then ask your teacher for more clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back