giving up on asl

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasin

Reaction score
My asl professor is screwing me over and wont give me any extra credit for extra credit work i've done, she is playing favortism, and the college I goto wont give me an interpreter. Plus I get no help from anyone until its to late, so I screw up on some signs I am trying to learn. Oh and the deaf people I know are of no help, they either treat me like i'm an idiot or an alien.

It really sucks, I'm thinking of just going back to 100% oralism, reading lips, and doing the best with the little I can still hear.

This has got me depressed. :cry:

Don't quit! Hang in there. :P

I went thru something like that with the deaf community when I first started learning ASL. I tried socializing with them but they either had no patience or snubbed me. I do not understand that cuz it seems that many deaf people r helpful when hearing r learning ASL but not as helpful towards deaf/hoh people learning it. Makes me wonder why?

I agree with Reba..don't give up. Smile

I understand you big time. I am a late-HOH and have no world that accepts me fully. What I have learned is that there are a**holes and idiots in all flavors, be they big, small, short, tall, black, white, deaf, or hearing. Do not stop learning ASL because of these people. Make it your personal mission to overcome these obstacles in spite of them!
My asl professor is screwing me over and wont give me any extra credit for extra credit work i've done, she is playing favortism, and the college I goto wont give me an interpreter. Plus I get no help from anyone until its to late, so I screw up on some signs I am trying to learn. Oh and the deaf people I know are of no help, they either treat me like i'm an idiot or an alien.

It really sucks, I'm thinking of just going back to 100% oralism, reading lips, and doing the best with the little I can still hear.

Don't give up. I understand your frustration, but you can get past it. You will receive rewards for continuting to study.

Don't give up! Some people can get frustrated teaching you to sign, but that's not the end of the world, and one ASL course isn't either. Find a different one, meet other deaf people. Make it a rewarding experience for yourself, not a chore.

Don't give up unless you're -sure- you feel you don't need / want to learn asl, not because the situation around learning is difficult

need to be along with hearing with ASL skill then you will be fine.

most deaf don't give shit when you are on awful signing.

Give it up. ASL has over the years evolved into a cultural weapon. It aint worth it.

Richard

Repeat: don't give up. AND DON'T LISTEN TO NESMUTH!

Don't give up. Keep trying.. you will make it. I see a lot of people learning ASL later, so keep working at it.

Jasin,

Hey... Dont give up! Learning ASL definitely isn't easy!! I am surprised deaf people in your area aren't that friendly! I am working at the ASL Department and Interpreter program. I met a lot of deaf people/hard of hearing who were learning sign language. I would be elated to help them. Come to Utah and I ll help! haha. But anyway, I ve been there. At 14, I learned ASL a lil bit but after 21 years old, I learned a lot more when travelling in USA. I loved it. It helped me when I go to deaf events and go to deaf expo, magic mountain on deaf day and NAD conference, etc. I also go to ASL workshop for hearing people but it helped me a lot tho.

When I was at high school, I began to learn ASL but I was pretty ENGLISH and also oral. Many of my friends told my best friend that they were sick of me learning so slow. Heh. They didn't want to talk to me. I didn't bother to ask why instead I invited them to come to my house and my parents got us a lot of food and pizza. It was a blast. After that, we became better friends.

SO... Jasin, hang in there. Don't give up. It takes a looot of time to learn ASL and Deaf Culture. If need any help just pm me. T'care!

Do not give up ASL !! Go to see the Adminstration to re-appeal against the professor for giving you an attitude. Do not let your professor destroy your esteem self development.

fight for it !

Give it up. ASL has over the years evolved into a cultural weapon. It aint worth it.

Richard

The same could be said of English or any other language for that matter. English speakers that are, “well spoken” look down on those who aren’t. Northern, Midwestern, western, and southwestern people look down on southerners for how we speak. You have said you have no desire to learn ASL and you feel you do just fine with out it. Good for you. Others do not feel this way and my not be as adept in their oral and lip reading skills as you. ASL is a benefit to them. I personally love ASL and would encourage anyone to learn it.

Giving up and just going back would just be letting the teacher and people who are treating you bad win. I personaly think that you should just hang in there and do the best you can. You can prove to them that you are just as good as them.

Richard

Apparently or is it obvious that perhaps you have some 'grudges', specifically against ASL? Whatever the case may be, there's no point coming into a thread and not being encouraging or supportive, if you can't be neither, then please refrain from inserting your own fallible comments that is of ignorance...should I say more??? No, I simply won't go that way....bottom line, please take greater care with how you post here in AD. :squint:

~RR

I went thru something like that with the deaf community when I first started learning ASL. I tried socializing with them but they either had no patience or snubbed me. I do not understand that cuz it seems that many deaf people r helpful when hearing r learning ASL but not as helpful towards deaf/hoh people learning it. Makes me wonder why?

I agree with Reba..don't give up. Smile

yea, i always wondered about that too!!! jeez! :|

Btw, as to what this thread is concerned with, giving up may be an option, however, if you're able to take a bit of a 'break' away for a little bit and then when you feel more comfortable in doing so, get back into it and in the long run, you'll be grateful that you had kept at it. ;)

Therefore, like others have stated: Don't give up....go for it!! :thumb:

~RR

Apparently or is it obvious that perhaps you have some 'grudges', specifically against ASL? Whatever the case may be, there's no point coming into a thread and not being encouraging or supportive, if you can't be neither, then please refrain from inserting your own fallible comments that is of ignorance...should I say more??? No, I simply won't go that way....bottom line, please take greater care with how you post here in AD. :squint:

~RR

he will never change, so there is no point in telling him that! :roll:
he never listens or has a "good heart"... it is just his personality i guess! (sigh)
fyi, a woman left this forum :( i know it is because people "bash/degrade" her with negative comments, etc... and she probably didn't feel she was getting any support in here ... what a shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back