Germany culture

I visited Frankfurt last March and found it to be a boring city. I think Berlin or Munich is much better. Frankfurt is where a lot of businessmen work at and also a lot of Auslanders (foreigners). There isn't much to see (tourist-wise) in Frankfurt.

So far, my favourite city in Germany would be Darmstadt because that's where my family was from, so naturally I am biased. Other than that, Munich is a fun city to visit and southern Bavaria with castles and mountains to hike through.

I think it is difficult to live in Germany if you are a foreigner, because you will most likely feel excluded from the German society, except of course, if you live in a foreigner-friendly area or can speak German fluently.

I visited Frankfurt last March and found it to be a boring city. I think Berlin or Munich is much better. Frankfurt is where a lot of businessmen work at and also a lot of Auslanders (foreigners). There isn't much to see (tourist-wise) in Frankfurt.

So far, my favourite city in Germany would be Darmstadt because that's where my family was from, so naturally I am biased. Other than that, Munich is a fun city to visit and southern Bavaria with castles and mountains to hike through.

I think it is difficult to live in Germany if you are a foreigner, because you will most likely feel excluded from the German society, except of course, if you live in a foreigner-friendly area or can speak German fluently.

Yes, that´s right. It´s nothing to see in Frankfurt... but Munich and southern Bavaria...I don´t like Frankfurt either. I stopped at Frankfurt for few hours before catch the train to home from spa resort last year.

I'd like to go to Germany sometimes, mainly in October. lol...cause of Oktoberfest. lol...Hey, Liebling, which ones that is largest Oktoberfest in Germany? heh I'm assuming it's Hamburg or Munich.

yes, I agree what you said about Frankfurt. My friend from Ohio do want to see in Frankfurt. I did warning to him, nothing to see in FFM. no many culture/museum etc in FFM. Better we will visit to Dresden, Berlin, Hamburg and Rothenburg ob der tauber. He was enjoyed to see all in Germany so he said, thrilled to see in Dresden, very oooold church and castle etc...and he miss still in Berlin, enjoyed to meet with my deaf friends in Berlin and visit in SONY, Brandenburg Tor, checkpoint Charlie Museum but have too many museum there and nice to see in Potsdam. I am happy, that he love in Germany *smile*
you all can to look at website

Dresden 1999 Photo Gallery by Ralf Brown at pbase.com

I'd like to go to Germany sometimes, mainly in October. lol...cause of Oktoberfest. lol...Hey, Liebling, which ones that is largest Oktoberfest in Germany? heh I'm assuming it's Hamburg or Munich.

Large Oktoberfest around Germany is in Munich.

yes, I agree what you said about Frankfurt. My friend from Ohio do want to see in Frankfurt. I did warning to him, nothing to see in FFM. no many culture/museum etc in FFM. Better we will visit to Dresden, Berlin, Hamburg and Rothenburg ob der tauber. He was enjoyed to see all in Germany so he said, thrilled to see in Dresden, very oooold church and castle etc...and he miss still in Berlin, enjoyed to meet with my deaf friends in Berlin and visit in SONY, Brandenburg Tor, checkpoint Charlie Museum but have too many museum there and nice to see in Potsdam. I am happy, that he love in Germany *smile*
you all can to look at website

Dresden 1999 Photo Gallery by Ralf Brown at pbase.com

True, visit Frankfurt is not recommendation for tourists.

Thank you for provide a wonderful link of Bavaria and around the Germany. I can see from those link "Ansbach" where I live and 20 minutes away from Rothenburg o.Tauder... My Dad, brother & niece fall in love when they saw Ansbach especially Rothenburg o. Tauder. Opal, too.

Oktoberfest is in Munich. better in 29th September 2007, because there have to meet for deafs from Europe, but there is full people *crazy*If it is closed at 10pm, then go to Bergfreunde München Oktoberfest Party.

Deaf-Video.de - Oktoberfest 2006

and Gehörlosen Flossfahrt (see pictures) every years July in Isar near Munich
mit gehoerlosen auf isar floßfahrt

5yu0uw3.jpg

6h2qfe9.jpg

Sunshinelady,

Oh yes, I forget about Deaf meeting from Europe at Oktobersfest in Munich every year between September and October...

My hubby & I are thinking about go there because I want to meet my old school friends from England there. It mean that it´s our first time to visit there to meet Deafies. We want to go there for years but the time is not right... Now? Wait and See...

I liked Dresden too, when I visited in 1996. I am sure so much have changed since 1996, when Dresden still looked like an East German city with many cranes above the skyline fixing buildings. I remember them starting to work on the Frauenkirche, and that they finished it last year or two years ago to celebrate for Dresden's 800th anniversary? Anyway, a friend and I visited a friend in Dresden, and at that time, he was still living in his communist apartment. It was interesting to see the communist apartments.

Berlin was a lot of fun to see, and we saw some places such as Museum am Checkpoint Charlie, Reichstag, Siegessaule, Bahnhof Zoo, Ku'damm, Kaiser Wilhelms Gedachtskirche, Schloss Sans Souci, etc... It was impossible to see everything in Berlin in a weekend we were there. But I still remember the Potsdamer Platz with nothing there (no buildings, no walls, etc...). I hear now that Potsdamer Platz is now all offices. My friend and I liked going to the department store on the Eastern side of Berlin, at Alexanderplatz, where we ate breakfast at a DDR-like cafeteria on the top floor overlooking Berlin. I remember seeing the Palast der Republik (government building for the SED Party) before it was destroyed. I will never forget when my friend and I had an old map of Berlin, and tried to follow it to find the campground where we stayed at. We were surprised to see different than the map, and knew it was important to buy a new map for post-DDR Berlin. We stayed am Krossinsee near Mugelsee in southeastern Berlin.

I will always have wonderful memories of visiting Germany with my German friends. I can go on and on here, but I would not want to bore anyone here. I have never been to Northern Germany though! Never been to Hamburg. The furthest north I have ever gone was Monchengladbach and Koln. I'd like to see Hamburg and the island of Sylt. And definitely visit more of Southern Germany!

Thank you for share interesting view about your experience in Germany, K75.

I noticed from your description that you experienced North and East Germany more than Southern and West Germany example Berlin, Dresdon, Frankfurt, etc. and Munich (Bavaria). You should visit Bavaria, Southern and West Germany bit more.

Oh yes, I would recommend you to visit island of Sylt. There´re very beautiful island but very expensive there. We have been went there at 15 years ago.

Thank you for share interesting view about your experience in Germany, K75.

I noticed from your description that you experienced North and East Germany more than Southern and West Germany example Berlin, Dresdon, Frankfurt, etc. and Munich (Bavaria). You should visit Bavaria, Southern and West Germany bit more.

Oh yes, I would recommend you to visit island of Sylt. There´re very beautiful island but very expensive there. We have been went there at 15 years ago.

May I correct you and ask you to read my Zitate again. I said I have NEVER been to Northern Germany. I have been to many cities in Southern Germany such as Wiesbaden, FFM, Mannheim, Aschaffenburg, Wurzburg, Nurnburg, Regensburg, Schwandorf, Amberg, Bayerische Walder, Munchen, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Fussen, Romantisch Strasse, Michelstadt, Erbach in den Odenwald, Karlsruhe, Baden Baden, etc... I have visited very only two cities in Northern Germany.

The reason why I visited a lot in Southern Germany: my friend lives near Regensburg and I always visited her.

Although I lived in Germany, it was not always possible to visit many places because I was busy with school. But I definitely would like to visit more in Germany, especially in places I have not been to, such as Bodensee, Berechtsgaden, etc... It is very hard to find time to visit all the places in Germany! ha ha so that would be best to recommend cities like Munich and Berlin for short time visitors.

May I correct you and ask you to read my Zitate again. I said I have NEVER been to Northern Germany. I have been to many cities in Southern Germany such as Wiesbaden, FFM, Mannheim, Aschaffenburg, Wurzburg, Nurnburg, Regensburg, Schwandorf, Amberg, Bayerische Walder, Munchen, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Fussen, Romantisch Strasse, Michelstadt, Erbach in den Odenwald, Karlsruhe, Baden Baden, etc... I have visited very only two cities in Northern Germany.

The reason why I visited a lot in Southern Germany: my friend lives near Regensburg and I always visited her.

Although I lived in Germany, it was not always possible to visit many places because I was busy with school. But I definitely would like to visit more in Germany, especially in places I have not been to, such as Bodensee, Berechtsgaden, etc... It is very hard to find time to visit all the places in Germany! ha ha so that would be best to recommend cities like Munich and Berlin for short time visitors.

Yes I read your last and 3rd pharaph about Southern Germany and said that you never visit Northern Germany. It got me confused because you said about Berlin, Dresden, etc in 1st and 2nd pharaph and then said that you never visit Northern Germany but Southern Germany in your 3rd pharaph.

I know you was in Darmstadt before and love it.. .also visit Munich, Frankfurt, like what you mentioned in previous posts etc. but I didn´t know that you visited many cities in Southern Germany which not far from my hometown. :eek3: I would love to meet you when I know.

You quoted my post and explain... Now I understood.

I know you will like Berchtesgaden which not far from Königssee and also Bodensee as well. Yes you should go there because I know you will like it.

Ahh...Thanks, Liebling and Sunshinelady. :) BTW, are the Eagle's Nest or Tea House still up and open to the public? Have been there before?

Ahh...Thanks, Liebling and Sunshinelady. :) BTW, are the Eagle's Nest or Tea House still up and open to the public? Have been there before?

Welcome.

Yes they are still open to the public in Obersalzberg which is not far from Berchtesgaden . We went there once. I will search the link for you later.

Lieblin' ~

Which places that are the best to visit in Germany ? Do you think one week is a good time to spend in Germany or less ? I know some visitors will not feel satisfy if, they stay in Germany for short time like 3 or 4 days. LOL

Hubby visited Frankfurt area but just for one day and overnight while visiting missionaries there. I haven't been to Germany yet. It would be nice if we could both go together. We could save money if we can get a military hop there. :)

Back