Geez I called Oil Heat today!!!

I have a heating oil at my house. I always turn off my furnace when I am not using the hot water or go out shopping for a couple of hours. I have been doing that for seven years.

I turn it on when I need a hot water for taking a shower, do the dishes, and laundry work. After I am done with my things, then I just simple turn it off. I really save some money every year.

For the winter, of course, I need the heat and I do not want my water pipes to be busted.

I never had a major problem since I moved in my house. Two years ago, a small problem was the filter got dirty that made the furnace to shut down. The serviceman came to fix it right away which took 20 minutes to be done. It is normal for most house have the problem. I forgot to mention that I pay my oil service annual to make sure that my furnace is working.

No, I'm almost always home.

You might want to reduce the air conditioner/heating system for a couple of hours. Or, you would have turned it off when you go out all day or even at work.

You will be so relief that your electricity bill will be reduced.

You might want to investigative the electricity source with a device. Some lamps, VCR, TV, printer, etc., have a transformer (a black box to plug into the outlet). Old air conditioner, stove, printer, and refrigerator really have to go if they do not have energy star. Energy Star makes a difference.

You might want to reduce the air conditioner/heating system for a couple of hours. Or, you would have turned it off when you go out all day or even at work.

You might want to investigative the electricity source with a device. Some lamps, VCR, TV, printer, etc., have a transform (a black box to plug into the outlet). Old air conditioner, stove, printer, and refrigerator really have to go if they do not have energy star. Energy Star makes a difference.

I would be sooooo happy if my electricity bill was only $95 a month!

I have a heating oil at my house. I always turn off my furnace when I am not using the hot water or go out shopping for a couple of hours. I have been doing that for seven years.

I turn it on when I need a hot water for taking a shower, do the dishes, and laundry work. After I am done with my things, then I just simple turn it off. I really save some money every year.

For the winter, of course, I need the heat and I do not want my water pipes to be busted.

I never had a major problem since I moved in my house. Two years ago, a small problem was the filter got dirty that made the furnace to shut down. The serviceman came to fix it right away which took 20 minutes to be done. It is normal for most house have the problem. I forgot to mention that I pay my oil service annual to make sure that my furnace is working.

Oil man said its okay but don't leave turn it off more than one week ok *shrug* ;)

Oil man said its okay but don't leave turn it off more than one week ok *shrug* ;)

It is obvious that he wants you to pay more money sooner.

Many businesses now are selling solar panels and GeoThermal system that made many small oil companies worried. Many of us are sick of oil prices. No more depend on foreign oils, and no more cheat from any oil industrials.

Many companies are now extremely busy selling their solar panels and GeoThermal systems. It is a big time this year. These stuff is very expensive so the oil is also expensive that won't last.

You might want to investigative the electricity source with a device. Some lamps, VCR, TV, printer, etc., have a transformer (a black box to plug into the outlet). Old air conditioner, stove, printer, and refrigerator really have to go if they do not have energy star. Energy Star makes a difference.

I cannot turn my AC off all day while I am out because I have 3 cats and I do not want them to suffer in the heat. The heat in Texas is very oppressive. It can get up to 100 degrees here.

I cannot replace my refrigerator because I live in an apartment. Plus, they just replaced it two years ago so I cannot ask them to replace it again, and I think it has the Energy Star on it, I have to dig out the user manual. I cannot replace the Central A/C cause I rent. I don't know about the stove because I never use it anyway. My printer is not very old, it is a couple of years old. I can't replace it cause I don't have the money.

I keep my AC at 80 degrees ALL the time. That's as low as I can tolerate.

I cannot turn my AC off all day while I am out because I have 3 cats and I do not want them to suffer in the heat. The heat in Texas is very oppressive. It can get up to 100 degrees here.

I cannot replace my refrigerator because I live in an apartment. Plus, they just replaced it two years ago so I cannot ask them to replace it again, and I think it has the Energy Star on it, I have to dig out the user manual. I cannot replace the Central A/C cause I rent. I don't know about the stove because I never use it anyway. My printer is not very old, it is a couple of years old. I can't replace it cause I don't have the money.

I keep my AC at 80 degrees ALL the time. That's as low as I can tolerate.

Oh, I see that you have cats. Of course, you need the A/C on as long as a medium temperature as comfortable for them. That should be okay. Just close dark curtains to keep the heat out from the sun. Leave open the curtains a little for the cats to look out the windows.

Two years old refrigerator should be fine.

I always unplug my printer because it has a small black box that has a small transformer in it that drains the electricity. All printers have that except the laser (I think).

A fan might be also good for the air circulation once a while.

Oh, I see that you have cats. Of course, you need the A/C on as long as a medium temperature as comfortable for them. That should be okay. Just close dark curtains to keep the heat out from the sun. Leave open the curtains a little for the cats to look out the windows.

Two years old refrigerator should be fine.

I always unplug my printer because it has a small black box that has a small transformer in it that drains the electricity. All printers have that except the laser (I think).

A fan might be also good for the air circulation once a while.

My blinds are always closed, except a little bit at the bottom for the cats to look out. I also use the ceiling and the floor fan.

You think it is illegal? Not really, the problem is that the oil is ON free market, meaning that whoever bought oil futures is paying higher price and betting that it will force oil companies paying at higher price resulting more profit.

America is capitalism, meaning anyone is free to run business and charge whatever they want. So nothing illegal is done there. The only thing that is illegal here is if any business sneak without customer knowledge and jack up the cost. So in other word it is NOT illegal of one telling you upfront and u decided to take it, then it is too bad afterwards.

The oil itself is commodity, not much we can do about it. Phillip is not alone, other people is having same problem. She is VERY lucky that oil supplier is willing to sell low amount, most oil supplier requires you pay minimum amount because they have to pay to deliver to you. I know one supplier will NOT deliver if customer asked to fill less than a tank! It happened to this person and he can't afford full tank, ended up suffering freezing home resulting pipe bursting, that was last January.

So in other word, if supplier has to deliver to customer with smaller quantities then they usually charge at higher price to recover the delivery cost (Pay driver to deliver, pay gas to deliver the oil, and other costs).

There isn't much we can do about it but good news is that the oil prices have dropped from $147 a barrel to $123 a barrel in the past few weeks. Hopefully they will drop more.

They ripped you off.

Look at the prices you'll be paying for per gallon on each 300, 250, and 100.

300 gals - asking for $1400 something that mean $4.66 per gallon
250 gals - asking for $1245 that comes to $4.98 per gallon
100 gals - asking for $500 it will costs you $5 per gallon

You see the differences? They want more money out of your pocket. I think it's illegal.

To me, no matter how many gallon you hold, basically the prices should be the same if you are using the same unleaded or whatever lead you preferred.

It look likes they will charge you higher if you want to have fewer gallons.

Know why it is red in color? When it is red, that means that there is NO taxes in it. If you put in diesel vehicle, it will emit red smoke making cops easily BUST for evading the highway taxes. In fact heating oil, keresone, and diesel are the same thing. They all are just different colors, that is all.

Oh by the way, many Seattle homes still have oil heat....I lived in one of those house that had it. It is red color fuel, I think. It cost around $250 or so to fill a tank of fuel in early 2000s.

Know why it is red in color? When it is red, that means that there is NO taxes in it. If you put in diesel vehicle, it will emit red smoke making cops easily BUST for evading the highway taxes. In fact heating oil, keresone, and diesel are the same thing. They all are just different colors, that is all.

Interesting....I didn't know that. I am aware it's basically diesel fuel.

Interesting about today..

I called Oil Company to question about turn off oil furnace. They said Geez.. and not good idea because if you turn off the oil furnace and not use it for more than one week…

There oil inside the pipes becomes cool and oil will be a thickened... It can cause furnace problems! As a result, Recommending leave it "ON" all the time :D :D

Yes, that's what oil company said is correct.

Do you have thermal on oil heater (furnace)? It would do automatic if you programmed the time of use hot water.

I have thermal on oil heater... Just simple: switch to heaters during winter time to March and then switch back to just hot water for spring/summer time when we don't want to use heaters.

Yes, it's no good to switch oil heater off... Why? because the energy of oil use more if you switch oil heater on and then again off and then on then again off.... Just leave it alone then the energy of oil use go very slow and didn't use very much... thermal do for us automatic.

Do you have thermal on oil heater (furnace)? It would do automatic if you programmed the time of use hot water.

I have no idea??? umm Can i see if i have it at my furnace now?

I have thermal on oil heater... Just simple: switch to heaters during winter time to March and then switch back to just hot water for spring/summer time when we don't want to use heaters.

Yes, it's no good to switch oil heater off... Why? because the energy of oil use more if you switch oil heater on and then again off and then on then again off.... Just leave it alone then the energy of oil use go very slow and didn't use very much... thermal do for us automatic.

That's NOT true at all. I have been doing with mine for seven years, and I never had a problem. In fact, I saved my money. It makes a big difference. Almost all servicemen always lie to say that it is not a good idea. They told me that a long time ago. I talked my old friend, and he is an electrician and sells electric parts for business for many years. He said that it is not true... He does turn off his own furnace when he goes away for his business trips. okay? (We have the same type of furnace that boil hot water for the showers and washing the dishes when we need it on for our purpose. We do not have a gas pipe in our house, and we don't need it.)

I can understand that she is afraid to turn it off that think that it might be damage to the furnace. She needs to save her money wisely. We all should do the same thing.

Supposedly, we leave oil in the tank for not using it for many years, say 10 years. This is a real problem because of the stick oil that can clog the pipes. Are we going to keep the oil and not use it? Of course not.

IF you have a gas tank for hot water, then you are supposed to turn off the furnace. You do not need the heating for the summer. For sake!

The thermal is the same as turning it off. No difference.

That's NOT true at all. I have been doing with mine for seven years, and I never had a problem. In fact, I saved my money. It makes a big difference. Almost all servicemen always lie to say that it is not a good idea. They told me that a long time ago. I talked my old friend, and he is an electrician and sells electric parts for business for many years. He said that it is not true... He does turn off his own furnace when he goes away for his business trips. okay? (We have the same type of furnace that boil hot water for the showers and washing the dishes when we need it on for our purpose. We do not have a gas pipe in our house, and we don't need it.)

Question: how much liter, you use for a year? Do you have oil company to fill into tank fully or half?

If your answer is half then is no problem.

I can understand that she is afraid to turn it off that think that it might be damage to the furnace. She needs to save her money wisely. We all should do the same thing.

Supposedly, we leave oil in the tank for not using it for many years, say 10 years. This is a real problem because of the stick oil that can clog the pipes. Are we going to keep the oil and not use it? Of course not.

My friend did the same thing like what you did but the oil goes thick... it cost him a lot of money to get oil out and clean... Oil company recommend him to use limit instead of full oil if he want to save oil... He accept half of oil... it goes much better... 1,500 liter a year in household is my limit because we know the estimiate how much we use oil a year. Oil company recommend us to tank oil every year instead of every 2 or 3 years because of thick...

IF you have a gas tank for hot water, then you are supposed to turn off the furnace. You do not need the heating for the summer. For sake!

Yes, that´s what I explained to Phillip...

Liebling´s post to Phillilp - I have thermal on oil heater... Just simple: switch to heaters during winter time to March and then switch back to just hot water for spring/summer time when we don't want to use heaters.

which mean is we switch heating off during summer and spring because we do not need for long months but just hot water. I programmed the time for use hot water. We use few hours for mornings and evenings, not leave hot water all the time. For heaters, switch back for heating between November and March. Oil with electricity use too much if you turn on and off everyday.

I may think that it might be the problem with the tank level.

flatlevel.jpg

1st picture at the top should be a normal level. At the bottom of liquid is a thick oil that could clog the pipe. But, this is very common and normal.

2nd picture is off the balance that can be a serious problem.

3rd picture is also off the balance that might be okay, but the left oil cannot be full empty. That could be also a problem.

I think that when the rains make the soil become soft, one side could be rising and other might be down a little more due too soft soil which means that the employees did not do a good job patting down hard on the soil before putting the tank in the ground. (It is very similar to coffins at a cemetery. Yuck!) Actually, most states have a law that all oil tanks must be installed in the basement. If the oil tank is in the ground, the house cannot be sold until it is in the basement.

For the basement, you could check to see if your tank is straight level.

How much can save monthly?

Replace the air filter is pretty easy! I did myself and must replace each 3-5 months depend how thick dusts. I have allergy dust.

How much can save monthly?

I had 835 gallons of oil in my 1,000 gallon tank.
I paid 2.14 per gallon on August 2007.

835 gallons x $ 2.14 = $ 1,786.90

I have 300 gallons left to go.

300 gallons left x $ 2.14 = $ 642.00

$642.00 / 11 months = $ 58 per month (average)

1,786.90 - 642.00 = $ 1,144.90 (I saved $ 1,144.90.)

Am I correct?

Back