Gas Prices to JUMP!

Lol, I miss the "Gas Wars" between competing gas stations in those good old days, in which each station would keep lowering gas prices to draw in customers. I dunno if it is an urban legend, but I recall reading about one station actually PAYING you cash to fill your tank with their free gas!

[shutting up after reading Liebling and the price in Big Sur]

o-k. I won't complain for myself...

But I will complain for you Liebling, and the folks in Big Sur-- GAS IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Liebling-- at least you have the ability to bike 3 miles. I think it is fun to ride a bike-- if it is a sunny day! :D
If I need food that my local store doesn't have, I have to ride my bike on steep hills, across freeway with other 90-mph-cars on steep hills.... so it is a "must" for me to have a car to get out of my neighborhood.

My then-70-year-old great-aunt (now she is 85, i believe) from Finland rode a bicycle when she lived here-- she refused to drive but she said it was HARD to ride bicycles here with other cars (disrespectful cars!) and the slope of all hills... given her age!! She is practically a senior citizen-- but in a good shape. She rode her bicycle to an "Adult's School" for immigrants/foreign-born to learn English which is appx 15 minutes from my home so it must be like 10 miles one-trip a day for her. I recollected whenever my mom picked me up from my school, she would drive around and look for Pirkko (my great-aunt) bicycling on sides of streets so she can pick her up to spare her the trip back home.
Pirkko has this pet peeve about driving since ever. She hates to fuel up the gas because of the "smell" so she has to bring her sister or children to fuel up the car for her. So she was WILLING to bicycle than to deal with the gasoline back then! Wise desicison, I believe, in today's situation. ;-)

BUT I promise I will stop complain when I move to New York City. Since I won't have a car while living the city... But I probably will complain if they increase the tickets for mass-transit because of the expensive gas. ;-)

Codger said:
DOn't wish too hard for a return to gas prices of the "old days". You might just get your wish. If we paid the same now that we paid during the oil embargo of 1973, oil would be $89.00 a barrel in adjusted dollars. You could only buy gas on even/odd days according to youe license plate. Some stations would only allow you to buy "X" number of gallons. Some stations would only be open a few days a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_energy_crisis
Rationing of gasoline occurred in many countries, with motorists facing long lines at gas stations. In the U.S., drivers of vehicles with license plates having an odd number as the last digit were allowed to purchase gasoline for their cars only on odd-numbered days of the month, while drivers of vehicles with even-numbered license plates were allowed to purchase fuel only on even-numbered days. The rule did not apply on the 31st day of those months containing 31 days, or on February 29 in leap years (the latter never came into play as the restrictions had been abolished by 1976).

The U.S. government response to the embargo was quick, but of limited effectiveness. A national speed limit of 55 miles per hour was imposed to help reduce consumption. (This, incidentally, was claimed by some to have caused traffic fatalities to drop by 23 percent between 1973 and 1974. As a result this law was not completely reversed until 1995). President Nixon named William Simon as an official "energy czar," and in 1977 a cabinet-level Department of Energy was created, which led to the creation of the United States' Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The National Energy Act of 1978 was also largely a response to this crisis. The crisis was further exacerbated by government price controls in the United States, which limited the price of "old oil" (that already discovered) while allowing newly discovered oil to be sold at a higher price, resulting in a withdrawal of old oil from the market and artificial scarcity. The rule had been intended to promote oil exploration.

LOL I didn't back in moses days. LOL I just meant back when I was 17 it was only $0.79 per gallon. I'm just a spring chick. :laugh2:

Here they charged me $2.19/gal and I paid $31.00 to fill up the tank yesterday. I remember about two years ago I used to pay $17.00 to fill up the tank. Now it's double. Fookin' :crazy: and what :pissed: me off is that this morning on my way to work, they changed the price to $2.10/gal. UGH! I should've waited a day! :roll:

Ahh Katzie, I thought it was just a Western thing, with prices being 2,19$ for a gallon of regular petrol here in Utah. Apparently, I was wrong. I'll have to find out how much it costs in my tiny hometown in Joisey. What's sad is that in 3 weeks' time, I will be going on a road trip with a friend and it will probably cost a lot of money now. I used to be able to fill up the tank of my car easily for like 9 bucks, and go 350 miles on that, but now it costs 19 bucks to fill up. I also avoid downtown gas stations cos it's more expensive than out in the suburbs. The most expensive I have seen is 2,24$ regular.

Katzie said:
Here they charged me $2.19/gal and I paid $31.00 to fill up the tank yesterday. I remember about two years ago I used to pay $17.00 to fill up the tank. Now it's double. Fookin' :crazy: and what :pissed: me off is that this morning on my way to work, they changed the price to $2.10/gal. UGH! I should've waited a day! :roll:

here it is btwn $2.25-$2.29 and i just filled up my jeep on saturday.. and it cost me $39.00!! :ugh:

I'm shaking my head that people seem to think that they pay more for gas in Europe than here in the USA. That is false. The Eurodollar is a LOT stronger than the American dollar, and when you get right down to it, the adjusted real cost of gasoline is HIGHER and risning faster here in USA.
Look at the graph from the link...
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/prices.html#Motor

Attachments

• gas1.jpg
    gas1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 6
kuifje75 said:
Ahh Katzie, I thought it was just a Western thing, with prices being 2,19$ for a gallon of regular petrol here in Utah. Apparently, I was wrong. I'll have to find out how much it costs in my tiny hometown in Joisey. What's sad is that in 3 weeks' time, I will be going on a road trip with a friend and it will probably cost a lot of money now. I used to be able to fill up the tank of my car easily for like 9 bucks, and go 350 miles on that, but now it costs 19 bucks to fill up. I also avoid downtown gas stations cos it's more expensive than out in the suburbs. The most expensive I have seen is 2,24$ regular.
Hi Kootchie, check this out http://www.newjerseygasprices.com/ Lion Gas for $1.87?! I can't believe how cheap it is over there! :eek: Yes, I agree that gas stations in downtown and toll pikes are horribly expensive. Stay away from them. Have a safe trip!

lowest $2.21 to highest $2.59 for 87 octane here in Seattle metro area.

I live in FL and a close relative told me that it will be $4.00 for gas!! UGH! That's why I went and got gas yesterday since right now it's cheaper but it will go up to 4.00! The relative said that is terrible.

gnarlydorkette said:
[shutting up after reading Liebling and the price in Big Sur]

o-k. I won't complain for myself...

But I will complain for you Liebling, and the folks in Big Sur-- GAS IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Liebling-- at least you have the ability to bike 3 miles. I think it is fun to ride a bike-- if it is a sunny day! :D
If I need food that my local store doesn't have, I have to ride my bike on steep hills, across freeway with other 90-mph-cars on steep hills.... so it is a "must" for me to have a car to get out of my neighborhood.

My then-70-year-old great-aunt (now she is 85, i believe) from Finland rode a bicycle when she lived here-- she refused to drive but she said it was HARD to ride bicycles here with other cars (disrespectful cars!) and the slope of all hills... given her age!! She is practically a senior citizen-- but in a good shape. She rode her bicycle to an "Adult's School" for immigrants/foreign-born to learn English which is appx 15 minutes from my home so it must be like 10 miles one-trip a day for her. I recollected whenever my mom picked me up from my school, she would drive around and look for Pirkko (my great-aunt) bicycling on sides of streets so she can pick her up to spare her the trip back home.
Pirkko has this pet peeve about driving since ever. She hates to fuel up the gas because of the "smell" so she has to bring her sister or children to fuel up the car for her. So she was WILLING to bicycle than to deal with the gasoline back then! Wise desicison, I believe, in today's situation. ;-)

BUT I promise I will stop complain when I move to New York City. Since I won't have a car while living the city... But I probably will complain if they increase the tickets for mass-transit because of the expensive gas. ;-)

:thumb:
I saw alot of old people use bicycles. There´re very common to use bicycles in Germany.
It´s not only 3 miles but more than 10 miles... I often ride bicycle.

My hubby´s great aunt use bicycle until she´s 85 years old. She died natural aged 90.

Gas price is still goin' up, up , and who knows when it reaches its highest price. Heard rumors that it might go up to $100 per gallon! :-o

tekkmortal said:
Gas price is still goin' up, up , and who knows when it reaches its highest price. Heard rumors that it might go up to $100 per gallon! :-o

lol....u mean $100 PER barrell for crude oil?

:P

<---Just had another :barf: pumping my car up at 2.15 a gallon reached full at 22 bucks today!

Just now the diesel truck drivers are lauffing at me cuz diesel prices went down the roof. Pilot posted 2.19 for unleaded and 2.03 for diesel today! Quite a week ago I was laughing at the diesel owners cuz they paid more than I did for the gas.

I just paid $2.93 a gallon for premium...which is a must for my Camaro Z28. For regular, it's $2.73

That is really sucks !!

gas.jpg

Back