Gallaudet and CI

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Hey.. who are gallaudet students presently, what is the community at gallaudet like toward cochlear implant user?

I was just in myspace, and suddenly got worried about people at gallaudet and me wearing a ci.. i know i am such a paranoid freak, but curious about it..

im not sure, but i've heard that most of the gally students are against those who use CI and can speak and listen...as long as u are fluent in ASL, u shouldnt be too worried about it..try covering ur CI with ur hair or sumthing n u can easily blend in the whole crowd..if not, u prolly would get pretty bad looks from the deafies..

Just hang around Jane F. She'll make sure no one picks on u for the CI.

Richard

Just ingore them and just be yourself.. and if they don't accept you because you have an CI then they aren't your true friends to begin with. But nowadays.. CI is slowly but surely getting more accepted daily. :) Don't worry and just enjoy being at Gallaudet! :angel:

I think the CI is inevitably becoming more and more acceptable/respected in our society, including the Gally environment; after all, isn't that part if not the key concept being pushed by "deafhood" that we keep hearing about these days? I sure hope so.

:dunno: I don't go to Gallaudet, so I wouldn't know.

Nesmuth said:
Just hang around Jane F. She'll make sure no one picks on u for the CI.

Richard
:giggle: You're so bad, There's a time-out chair for you. >>>>[]

Tousi said:
I think the CI is inevitably becoming more and more acceptable/respected in our society, including the Gally environment; after all, isn't that part if not the key concept being pushed by "deafhood" that we keep hearing about these days? I sure hope so.

Deafhood is a joke these days.

Richard

Tousi said:

It won't work though, it would still peer pressure like in most deaf school.

CI'ers can be students at Gallaudet.. they are all deaf... It is no big deal.. Even hearing students goes there....

SxyPorkie

There will always be jerks who won't respect your decision to have/use your CI, but that's the way life goes. Overall I think the attitude towards CIs have changed. I read a comment IKJ made back in 1997 where he said that CIs were basically non-existant on campus and students as a whole did not accept CIs. The attitude has changed a bit, and I've noticed students with implants walking around campus.

Gallaudet definitely has changed. If you were a student and had a CI anytime during the 1980's or until late 1990's, you would not feel very welcome at all! I heard of one student getting up in the middle of the class, proclaim that she will not use the CI again, and threw it in the trash.

Thankfully, more enlightening times are ahead! The main thing is ad hoc education; You will always attract a stare or two, a negative comment here and there. Just quickly correct whatever misconceptions or unfounded grudges they may harbor. Show that you are still Deaf after all, and well deserving of a fine education at Gallaudet!

You will always attract a stare or two, a negative comment here and there. Just quickly correct whatever misconceptions or unfounded grudges they may harbor. Show that you are still Deaf after all, and well deserving of a fine education at Gallaudet!
*nods* Yeah, I think that attitude might have a lot to do with it. I think part of the anti CI movement is b/c some oral deaf people(meaning card carrying AG Bellers or AVIers) have traditionally looked down on Sign and Deaf culture. I'm not defending the antis, but some oral people can be so incredibly rude and nasty (ie I'm better then you b/c i have better hearing and speech skills)

deafdyke said:
*nods* Yeah, I think that attitude might have a lot to do with it. I think part of the anti CI movement is b/c some oral deaf people(meaning card carrying AG Bellers or AVIers) have traditionally looked down on Sign and Deaf culture. I'm not defending the antis, but some oral people can be so incredibly rude and nasty (ie I'm better then you b/c i have better hearing and speech skills)
I think that's it in a nutshell. Just remember that one person's decision not to use a CI is the right one for them, but that another's decision to use a CI is right for them, as well. There isn't one single way that is right for everyone. Attitude is the key. And I agree, some oralists can be extremely rude and judgemental. It's because they have been brainwashed all of their lives, and taught that their deafness is something to be ashamed of. It's sad, really.

Good luck at Gally! Study hard, but take time for fun, too.

deafdyke said:

Is it possible that they (or at least some of them) feel defensive because signers look down on them? In which case, who will take the first step and decide that the past is the past?

ismi said:
Is it possible that they (or at least some of them) feel defensive because signers look down on them? In which case, who will take the first step and decide that the past is the past?

I think it goes deeper than that. I think they actually feel superior to signing deaf, because the whole oral philosophy teaches that sign is a lesser language. Oralists take the stance that the only signing deaf are the ones that are oral failures, and that they would not choose to be that way. If they had a choice, signing deaf would become oral deaf. It's a horrible misconception that oralists have been touting for too many years. It reinforces the concept that deaf who sign are not as intelligent.

Yea i've heard that at Gally they're not that accepting of that stuff. However, i hope for everyone's sake it's not true!!

think they actually feel superior to signing deaf, because the whole oral philosophy teaches that sign is a lesser language. Oralists take the stance that the only signing deaf are the ones that are oral failures, and that they would not choose to be that way. If they had a choice, signing deaf would become oral deaf. It's a horrible misconception that oralists have been touting for too many years.
Thank you jillo!!!! Yeah, some signer seperatists can turn off oralists, I readily admit that, but I think that the orgin of that attitude lies with audist oralists. Does that make any sense?

deafdyke said:
Thank you jillo!!!! Yeah, some signer seperatists can turn off oralists, I readily admit that, but I think that the orgin of that attitude lies with audist oralists. Does that make any sense?

From a historical perspective, I certainly see why oralism is mistrusted by the Deaf community. I'm just saying, I think that sword cuts both ways now.

Back