Funny Thing About Rush Limbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shel,

If your husband has difficulty telling which med is which (such as when he's tired), he may want to place rubber bands around each pill bottle. For example, one rubber band for Excedrin, 2 rubber bands for Vicodin, 3 rubber bands for vitamins, etc. This is what I do. I can also recognize my meds by feel. For instance, the Depakote I take comes in powerdered form, so I can recognize the capsules by feel. The Fluoxetine I take are also caplets, but are smaller in size. The same difference exists between my antipsychotic and med that I take for rapid cycling. They feel differently in size and thickness.

What a great idea! The vicoden is no longer there as he expired his prescription so he only has 3 left...his back may flare up again so I would tell him to either not put the Vicoden in his dispener or follow your suggestion.

Ohio's Laws are the same Reba.

One recent case involved a female using and selling her disabled husbands meds.
She is in prison now and he is doing well since he now has his meds.

What a great idea! The vicoden is no longer there as he expired his prescription so he only has 3 left...his back may flare up again so I would tell him to either not put the Vicoden in his dispener or follow your suggestion.

I'm glad you found my suggestion helpful! :) I do have to say though that I like the idea of your husband putting his meds in a dispenser. A good friend of mine who is totally blind, diabetic and takes over 20 different pills/day used a cardboard box with inserts to separate her meds. It worked great and she was able to identify the correct meds according to their position (i.e. row) in the box.

It would be wise to not take someone else's prescription medication:

Take your own prescriptions only. Never take someone else's prescription. This is not only illegal, but very dangerous behavior.
How to Prevent Pain Killer Addiction | eHow.com

Never take someone else’s medication.
Even if you have taken this
medication or one like it before. This
is illegal, dangerous, and it may
cause impairment.
http://www.kutc.ku.edu/~kutc/pdffiles/FS-Medication.pdf

Prescription Drugs: It is illegal to use another person's prescription medicine, even if it is for minor pain or to help you concentrate.
Judge's seminar has information to keep teens safe 100306 - The Augusta Chronicle

it is illegal to use another person's prescription drug
Job Description sample 1

Drug testing has become common within the construction industry. Many prescription drugs are in the classes of drugs for which tests are likely to be given. If a member has a prescription for a particular drug and is taking it appropriately, it is unlikely to be an issue with a drug test. However, if tested members are using a legal prescription drug which was not prescribed for them or are not taking prescribed drugs as recommended, they will likely be subject to disciplinary action.
LHSFNA: Prescription Drug Abuse

Illegal drugs are not allowed in any residence hall or elsewhere on campus at any time. The following behaviors are violations of the law or University policy, and will not be tolerated. These include, but are not limited to:

* The possession and/or use of another person's prescription medicine.
Policies

Every employee must recognize that the unauthorized use of another person’s prescription is illegal and may cause a positive test result which would be a violation of Union Pacific’s drug and alcohol testing policy.
http://www.wrgca.com/upwrgca/News_items/disalert4.htm

Using prescription drugs prescribed for others or without
doctor’s orders is unsafe and illegal.
http://www.drugfree.org/Files/rx_guide

Ohio's Laws are the same Reba.

One recent case involved a female using and selling her disabled husbands meds.
She is in prison now and he is doing well since he now has his meds.

"And selling" is the key phrase here.

The military are people too.

Where did I say they weren't? The military is a job. Many employers will dismiss you for illicit drug use. That doesn't mean you can be prosecuted under the law for coming up with a dirty urine at work.

Let's see some precedence where someone has been successfully prosecuted for taking a dose of another's medication alone. Even if they stole the meds, they are prosecuted for theft, not the use of the meds. Show me anywhere in the U.S. where a husband has given a wife a dose of a medication and was prosecuted for giving it, or where she was prosecuted for taking it. Show me a single case in the U.S. where someone who was prescribed a pain killer for a broken bone, and later took it for a tooth ache, and was prosecuted under the law.

Well, that was 2 years ago so I dont have to worry about it showing up on an urine test...Geez, it was an accident and now all these debates about how it is illegal to take other people's prescriptions...I was just saying that I can understand why these kinds of meds can be addictive. That was all.

"And selling" is the key phrase here.
In this case the added element of selling was a plus.

I could have proven a case of 'neglect' at the very least if we had only had the using part.

Well, that was 2 years ago so I dont have to worry about it showing up on an urine test...Geez, it was an accident and now all these debates about how it is illegal to take other people's prescriptions...I was just saying that I can understand why these kinds of meds can be addictive. That was all.

Shel,

Not to belabor the point, but even if you did take a urine test, the results would be negative due to the small amount of Vicodin you took. Still, it was an accident, so it doesn't matter one way or the other.

In this case the added element of selling was a plus.

I could have proven a case of 'neglect' at the very least if we had only had the using part.

You would have had to prove a lot more than "neglect" to get her put in prison.:roll: And even then, the charge would not be taking someone else's meds.

Look out, shel! They're coming to get you!:Ohno:
:laugh2:

Where did I say they weren't? The military is a job. Many employers will dismiss you for illicit drug use. That doesn't mean you can be prosecuted under the law for coming up with a dirty urine at work.
Repeat:

The legal facts: It is illegal to share or sell your prescriptions

The distribution of your prescription medications to a friend or family member, or the possession and/or use of prescription drugs that are not yours, is strictly prohibited by law. The selling of any prescription medications you have is illegal, period! The legal consequences for the wrongful possession of and/or criminal sale of prescription drugs include fines and imprisonment. For civilians, violation could lead to prosecution under state and federal laws. For military members, violation could result in action under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Not just military "job" related.

Let's see some precedence where someone has been successfully prosecuted for taking a dose of another's medication alone. Even if they stole the meds, they are prosecuted for theft, not the use of the meds. Show me anywhere in the U.S. where a husband has given a wife a dose of a medication and was prosecuted for giving it, or where she was prosecuted for taking it. Show me a single case in the U.S. where someone who was prescribed a pain killer for a broken bone, and later took it for a tooth ache, and was prosecuted under the law.
You originally stated that it wasn't illegal, not that it wasn't prosecuted.

"Originally Posted by jillio
It is not illegal to take medicine that is not prescribed for you...."

You would have had to prove a lot more than "neglect" to get her put in prison. And even then, the charge would not be taking someone else's meds.
actually, No, granted there were many things going on with this case but the neglect of a disabled person carries with it a lot of strength where sentencing is concerned.

"If the drugs were legal, he wouldn't have broken any laws" "They should make all drugs legal" are the two things I am reading. Does anyone see this from the perspective I do? Hey, if they took down all the speed limit signs, I could drive as fast as I wanted, legally! Has anyone considered the implications that a country filled with legal stoners (opiate users in particular) would mean to our insurance rates? What about a family with children. "Don't bother Daddy when he has a needle in his arm".

actually, No, granted there were many things going on with this case but the neglect of a disabled person carries with it a lot of strength where sentencing is concerned.

Issues of neglect are handled through JFS.

Whatever you say Jillio. You certainly know it all and I as just a veteran of LawEnforcement couldn't possibly know how the law works.

:rofl:

The legal facts: It is illegal to share or sell your prescriptions
*snip*

Very interesting read(s).
Thanks for sharing.

I never realized that using prescribed medication could get a civilian into trouble. Although that only pertains to those who will report them, and who you trust knowing about it.
Now that I have been educated and know the better, and probably may or may not do it depending on what circumstances I see before making such choices.

There are no initial pardons for misplaced suspects who go to jail for their unintentional involvement with something, accidental or not, as they end up going straight into the bars.

I suppose ultimately it boils down to the case of personal opinion.
If one thinks it's a bad thing to take unprescribed meds, perhaps they tend to be a stickler with the laws.
If one sees justification in doing them — as in accidents, what have yous and nots, then they're on the other side no matter what their justification is for taking them.

Vis-a-vis, the law's the law, and it's enforced for a reason.
Then there are those that will bend or utilize it to their way of seeing it.
There are those who will go gungho past the point of simplicity and the norm to enforce sticking up.

IE's: Patients suing doctors for little things that may seem trivial to one, but a big deal for them.
Doctors passing their confidentiality trust to give info about another patient.

That's how we're split on the Rush thing. Some aren't seeing him doing such a bad thing, while others feel that he's a bad guy.

"If the drugs were legal, he wouldn't have broken any laws" "They should make all drugs legal" are the two things I am reading. Does anyone see this from the perspective I do? Hey, if they took down all the speed limit signs, I could drive as fast as I wanted, legally! Has anyone considered the implications that a country filled with legal stoners (opiate users in particular) would mean to our insurance rates? What about a family with children. "Don't bother Daddy when he has a needle in his arm".
what if daddy is a drunk?

If any of you actually took opiates for long time, you would realize theyre rather boring. It is nothing like alcohol or marijuana.

Yes, all drugs should be legal. You should be allowed to ingest whatever you want. How about individuals undergoing a sex change. Is taking the hormones really a medical necessity?

California here, civilian law, nonprescription drugs: Aspirin.

I knew a man who was fired from his job because he gave a fellow worker an aspirin his friend had asked for. No legal charges were brought against him, but he was told there could be if he fought the firing. Even though the man could have purchased the aspirin over the counter giving him one constituted practicing medicine without a license.

I knew a man whose wife gave her friend an aspirin, Tylenol, or some such over the counter mild medication that her friend had asked for. The friend ran a stop sign, had an accident for which she was at fault. She maintained she had an allergy to the medicine and it impaired her judgement. That it was therefore not her fault but the fault of the person who had given her the medication. On the advice of a lawyer the man got a second mortgage on his house and settled out of court rather than be sued.

Frankly the whole scenario strikes me as ridiculous: A person asks for something they can buy -- It is not sold, but is given freely -- Yet the well meaning friend is the one responsible for bad judgement and practicing medicine without a license, not the person asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back