Free Pictures Of Self Defense Charts....

Six Steps for an Accurate Rifle Shot
1. Aim carefully.
2. Take a breath.
3. Relax.
4. Release half of your breath.
5. Squeeze the trigger slowly.
6. Follow through.

Remember ....

Point a shotgun. Pull the trigger.

Aim a rifle. Squeeze the trigger.

Safety tip:

Always wear suitable eye and ear protection when shooting. They will protect your vision and hearing for a lifetime of shooting enjoyment.

Know Your Quarry
Of all the steps of preparation, educating yourself about the game you're hunting is one of the most critical. Understanding your quarry will increase your success and add to the enjoyment of the experience as well.

In many cases, knowing your quarry is also necessary to ensure that you're taking legal game. For example, you may need to determine the sex of game birds on sight, or quickly recognize protected species as they move into firing range. If you hunt in a region where white-tailed and mule deer occupy the same area, you'll need to know how to identify both.

There are many ways that wild animals are classified, but hunters are concerned with four basic categories:

Large mammals: big game, such as deer, elk, and bear
Small mammals: small game, such as rabbits, squirrels, and raccoons
Upland birds: turkey, grouse, quail, and dove
Waterfowl: ducks and geese

Planning and Preparation
A successful hunt begins with careful planning and preparation. The process usually requires more time than the hunt itself.

Here are some steps you should take to prepare for a hunt:

Educate yourself about the game you'll be hunting and its environment.
Obtain the most current state regulations.
Buy appropriate clothing and gear for the environment.
Secure lease arrangements and permits (dogs and horses may require a veterinarian's certificate or a current vaccination record).
Visit the site in the off-season to prepare blinds and cabin facilities.
Sight-in rifles and bows; pattern shotguns.
Sharpen your skills at the shooting range.
Pack extra firearms, scopes, extra bow strings, etc.

Remember ....

When hunting with a group, remember that it is illegal in most states to use your license tag on another person's kill.

Animal Characteristics
Whatever you're hunting, a basic understanding of an animal's characteristics will help you develop an effective strategy for identifying and tracking it.

Animals can be identified by four basic characteristics:

Distinctive Markings: the black cheek patch on male pronghorns; the "flags" of the white-tailed deer; the face pattern on a gray fox; and the green head on a mallard drake

Sounds: the wild call of the sandhill crane; the familiar honk of the goose; the gobble of a strutting “tom”; the grunt of the deer; the howl of the coyote

Movement: the mule deer bounce; the fast or slow wing beats of some waterfowl; the zigzag in-flight pattern of the common snipe when flushed

Group Behavior: flock patterns, such as the familiar "V" shape of certain migratory birds; various types of herd behavior

Further study will help you learn other ways to identify and understand your quarry, including signs the animal leaves, camouflage capability, and behavior.

Hunting Strategies

Hunting techniques are skills honed through education and experience. Ideally, beginners should seek the guidance of experienced hunters on their initial hunts.

Still Hunting

As the name implies, still hunting is walking stealthily through an animal's habitat, stopping frequently—sometimes for long periods—to scan and listen for game. Typically, big-game hunters use this method in unfamiliar terrain, or where stands are impractical or forbidden.

Still hunting often involves stopping for long periods to scan and listen for game.

As a general rule, spend at least ten times longer being still and observing than walking. Keep a low profile; a human silhouette will spook many game species. Use binoculars in open terrain to properly identify movement.

If you still hunt effectively, game will be unaware of your presence, but so will other sportsmen. To avoid being mistaken for game by other hunters, always wear fluorescent orange.

Hunting Strategies: Stalking
The difference between still hunting and stalking is that when stalking, you follow signs leading to a particular type of game or group of animals, or close the distance to game already spotted.

Stalking often involves following tracks to lead you to the type of game you are hunting.

You may follow tracks on trails or a morning "dew" trail through leaves and brush. Or you may follow sounds or scents of animals, such as elk, sheep, or collared peccaries. Or you may simply need to sneak closer to an animal for a better shot.

Stalking requires total focus because you must remember to keep downwind, stay quiet, stay alert and remain patient.

Use caution when stalking a turkey. The sound you hear may be another
hunter “calling.

Hunting Strategies:

Posting, Ground Blinds and Elevated Stands

Posting

Posting involves sitting or standing in one spot. The location may offer a vantage point or a spot near the animal's trails.

Posting is effective when you know where game is traveling each day and you're not allowed to use a blind or stand. The key to setting up a posting site is finding a location that allows you to freely swing your firearm or draw your bow.

Ground Blinds

Ground blinds are make-shift or temporary structures located on the ground that conceal the hunter. They're made of everything from plywood to branches.

You should situate ground blinds:

Downwind, based on the normal wind pattern during a given time of day, such as morning
Away from the sun
Where the foreground and background are safest

Ground blinds, often made of branches, conceal the hunter.

Elevated Stands

Elevated stands (tower stands or tree stands) offer a number of advantages to both firearm and bow hunters. Tower stands are above-ground seats or blinds that conceal the hunter above the level of the quarry. Tree stands are stands placed in or against trees.

You should routinely check the condition of elevated stands. Also, inspect for insects, owls and small mammals before entering the stand.

Hunting Strategies: Game Calling, Driving & Flushing

Game Calling

Calling is an effective technique for most animals. There are a variety of sounds that can be imitated to draw game to you:

Territorial sounds: deer "rattling," elk "bugle" or a turkey "gobble"
Feeding sounds: a duck's feeding "chuckle"
Distress sounds: inviting coyotes, bobcats or foxes to feed
There are hundreds of sounds that can attract all types of wildlife. A skillful hunter uses these sounds to attract animals close enough to him or her for an effective shot.

A skillful hunter uses sounds to attract the quarry close enough for an effective shot.

Driving

Driving involves a group of hunters, some acting as "drivers" and others as "posters":

Drivers spread out across a field or woods and push game out of cover
Posters take positions at the end of the cover to intercept game pushed out by the drivers
The success of a drive depends on good organization and being familiar with the terrain.

It is critical that everyone involved in the drive is aware of the position of other drivers and posters. Wear fluorescent orange, and never shoot in the direction of another hunter.

Flushing

Flushing involves using noise, movement or dogs to cause game to become nervous and leave cover. Pause frequently when attempting to flush game. By varying your pace, your quarry may think it has been detected and be more likely to leave cover.

Hunting Incidents
From a law enforcement perspective, a hunting incident occurs when a hunter directly or indirectly causes personal injury or death while using a firearm or bow. More broadly defined, a hunting incident is any unplanned, uncontrolled action that occurs while using a sporting arm. It can include near misses.

Being responsible to prevent hunting incidents is your first priority.

Remember ....

The most common hunting incidents result from hunter judgment mistakes.
Eighty percent of all firearm incidents occur within 10 yards of the muzzle.

Four Main Causes of Hunting Incidents

Hunter Judgment Mistakes, such as mistaking another person for game, or not checking the foreground or background before firing

Safety Rule Violations, including pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction, and ignoring proper procedures for crossing a fence, obstacle or difficult terrain

Lack of Control and Practice, which can lead to accidental discharges and stray shots

Mechanical Failure, such as an obstructed barrel or improper ammunition

Be sure of the target and what is in front of it and beyond it. If you cannot see what lies beyond the target, do not take the shot.

Using Firearms at the Shooting Range

A successful hunt begins with target practice at the shooting range. Many of the rules that govern safe firearm handling in the field apply to the shooting range. But a shooting range has some additional requirements:

Read all range rules that apply to the type of shooting you will do that day.
If there is a range master, be sure to follow his or her instructions while shooting.

When not shooting, unload your firearm and leave it on the range line or bench until you're given further instructions.

Don't handle your firearm while other shooters are down range. Step away from the firing line or bench until the range is clear and the range master instructs you to approach the line or bench.

If no range master is present, all shooters must decide on safety commands beforehand so that it’s clear when someone intends to go down range.

Any time a person is beyond the firing line or down range, unload your firearm and step away from the line until the other person returns.

Under no circumstances should you shoot a firearm when someone is down range, or past the firing line.

Always wear hearing and eye protection, even if you're watching others shoot.

Respond immediately to anyone signaling for a "cease fire."

Safely Carrying Firearms in the Field

There are several ways to carry a gun safely and still have it ready for quick action. Three rules apply to all carrying methods:

Muzzle pointed in a safe direction and under control

Safety "on" until immediately before you're ready to shoot

Finger off the trigger guard

Below are shown six proper techniques for carrying firearms:

Trail Carry

Leaves a hand free for balance, but don't use it when you're behind someone. Not recommended when walking in snow or brush - debris can get in the barrel.

Sling Carry

Easy carry for long treks through open country. Keep a hand on the sling when walking so that it doesn’t slide off your shoulder if you trip. Not recommended for thick brush because the gun could be knocked from your shoulder.

Elbow or Side Carry

Comfortable, but it has the least muzzle control. It can also snag in brushy terrain. Use it when no one is in front of you.

Two-Handed or "Ready" Carry

Provides the best control, particularly in thick brush or weeds, or when you need to fire quickly.

Cradle Carry

Comfortable and secure; reduces arm fatigue.

Shoulder Carry

Good choice in waist-high brush. Don't use it if someone is behind you.

Checking for Obstructions

Occasionally you may trip or stumble in the field, accidentally dipping the barrel into the ground or snow. Immediately check for an obstruction:

Point the muzzle in a safe direction

Open the action, unload the firearm, and remove the bolt (if applicable)

Check for debris in the barrel

Remove the obstruction with the gun care kit and a portable cable-type cleaning rod

Recheck the barrel and clean again as needed

Reload and close the action

Heath said:

This is what a gun safe is for. ( the 2nd door is to show how strong it is )

Yes, we have a safe but not as nice as the one in your picture.

Heath said:
Match Firearms and Ammunition... CORRECTLY!
Very true.

It is also important to use the correct ammo for each purpose and place. For example, we use one kind of ammo for the outdoor range, a different kind for the indoor range, and still yet another kind for personal protection. The personal protection ammo is most expensive, so I practice at the range with the cheaper stuff.

Heath said:
... Usually your dominant eye is the same as your dominant hand, but not always.
True. I am right-handed but my left eye was much stronger than my right eye (for distance). I really had to conciously force myself to use my right eye. Since I had my laser surgery, my eyes are more equal but I still have to remember to use the right eye.

Last week at the indoor range, I just couldn't squeeze the trigger of my new Taurus with my right hand. I think I was experiencing overuse damage from a heavy week of interpreting work. But I really wanted to try my new gun. So, I switched to left hand and left eye, and turned my body angle. It was the first time I ever tried shooting southpaw. (I am NOT naturally ambidextrous.) I was shocked! I got an excellant group on my target! :)

Heath said:
Shooting Positions

There are four standard rifle positions: prone, standing, sitting, and kneeling.
I don't know why but I prefer standing for pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The only time I sit is for using Hubby's AR-15; it is really heavy. I have a "junior" size rifle/shotgun (Rossi twin combo), so it is not too heavy or long for me (I am 5'3").

Reba said:
Yes, we have a safe but not as nice as the one in your picture.

Yeah I wish mine was as nice as that one too. It was an example.

Reba said:
True. I am right-handed but my left eye was much stronger than my right eye (for distance). I really had to conciously force myself to use my right eye. Since I had my laser surgery, my eyes are more equal but I still have to remember to use the right eye.

Last week at the indoor range, I just couldn't squeeze the trigger of my new Taurus with my right hand. I think I was experiencing overuse damage from a heavy week of interpreting work. But I really wanted to try my new gun. So, I switched to left hand and left eye, and turned my body angle. It was the first time I ever tried shooting southpaw. (I am NOT naturally ambidextrous.) I was shocked! I got an excellant group on my target! :)

I practice with both hands and eyes. Reba, That is a good deal. Always work both hands and eyes. I was doing an article on hunting safety which is meant for deer hunting.

For military , police and civilian self defense. Work both hands and eye coordination.

Reba said:
I don't know why but I prefer standing for pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The only time I sit is for using Hubby's AR-15; it is really heavy. I have a "junior" size rifle/shotgun (Rossi twin combo), so it is not too heavy or long for me (I am 5'3").

I am sure there are more lightweight AR-15's on the market.

Myself, I don't find the AR-15 heavy.

Try the M-1 rifle. That one is heavy !!! :) :thumb:

Back