For those who suport NCLB..take a hard look at this cartoon

Watch this video.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7QfjIcVvA]Animal School - YouTube[/ame]

I know here in Florida, back when I was in school (yes, that would be a while ago, I graduated high school in 1981), we had a "functional Literacy" test that was administered in 8th grade and another in 11th grade. This way, they monitored your progress before high school and before senior year. Teachers were more relaxed and were able to happily work with students who needed a little extra help. Teachers had a much happier outlook on a lot of things and felt more like participating in the extra curricular activities. They did not feel it was an obligation. They were not having to constantly feel that they were being tested yearly. They did not feel like they had "big boss" looking over their shoulders while working.

Maybe, this was only in my area at the time and not all over. All I know is, more and more teachers are quitting due to NCLB. More and more teachers are doubting their ability due to NCLB. Too many parents feel that it is the teacher's responsibility to prepare them for the future. Well, they need to realize, it would be better if they could work with the teacher and do a lot of the child rearing themselves. It's not the teacher's responsibility to deal with discipline of each child at home.

When my kids were in public school for a short time, I would get emails daily from the teacher commenting on what steps she had to take to my children for the infractions she deemed were wrong. My son was given an in-school detention because a classmate had to deal with crutches due to a broken leg, asked my son to sharpen his pencil for him. Son got up, explaining to the teacher what he was doing and got permission, upon getting that, he did the job, then was slapped with the ISD and spent the rest of the day in the principal's office and had to complete all assignments at home or have OSS for 5 days. That's a little extreme. Teacher said it was the new rules due to how her school was dealing with NCLB.

It is not just about deaf or hearing.. It is about ones ability to learn. Each child is different, and function differently. Not all children develope at the same level.

Yeppers, NCLB has done more harm than good for all.

It is not just about deaf or hearing.. It is about ones ability to learn. Each child is different, and function differently. Not all children develope at the same level.

Yeppers, NCLB has done more harm than good for all.

Just shared this video with the curriculm director and asked her to share that with the whole school during one of the training workshops for the upcoming new curriculm. Would be a great reminder to everyone why we will be asked to change our way of thinking and approaches to teaching.

Yes, but still.....we need minimum standards, so that the kids can be functionally literate at least!

Yes, but still.....we need minimum standards, so that the kids can be functionally literate at least!

Who decides the "minimum standards?" If an adult cannot communicate with a child, what then? It is the child's fault?

Of course we want them to be literate. However, every child has different istyles and different ways of achieving their own minimum standards.

Of course we want them to be literate. However, every child has different istyles and different ways of achieving their own minimum standards.

But if we don't have graduation requirements (in the way of standardized testing) how do we "enforce" those minimum standards?

But if we don't have graduation requirements (in the way of standardized testing) how do we "enforce" those minimum standards?

I was responding to Deafdykes' post about kids being literate.

You are talking about something else different.

I'd be game for having minimum standards in testing, but in different languages as well.

ASL for the deaf children and we will see how much smarter they get overnight.

I'm willing to bet if we had standardized testing in ASL, which has been shown to have more linguistic complexity than English, native ASL users will excel higher in ASL than hearing children do in English...and keep in mind, most children do not have formal ASL classes yet hearing children have formal English classes from K-12.

Only if the children decide the teachers reached the minimum standard in ASL. :giggle:

I'm willing to bet if we had standardized testing in ASL, which has been shown to have more linguistic complexity than English, native ASL users will excel higher in ASL than hearing children do in English...and keep in mind, most children do not have formal ASL classes yet hearing children have formal English classes from K-12.

Are people actually suggesting that deaf kids shouldn't have to be proficient in English?

Back