Food Stamps denied, mother shoots daughter and son and kills herself, all die.

So does mine, but I don't worry about it. It gives a couple of people something to do...search out my misspelled words and make a post about it.:giggle:

Hahahaha, that's hilarious.

It's really sad that the woman felt the need to kill her children because of this....just don't think she was savvy to other organizations that could have helped her....

Here in Jax, we have "Potter's House", which feeds the poor and needy twice a week. Driver's License and social(s) are required for each member of the family. Also, many Churches give out free bread/pies/dougnuts, etc., once a week, all the bread you want....and free clothes too. Another organization once every week gives out Veggies and sometimes Milk, but no Meat....The lines are a mile long...some people wait 3-4 hours in the heat and cold, even the elderly....most don't even have transportation, they have to walk there. This is just on my side of town (Jax), and I'm sure other parts of Jax do the same.....

Many, many Homeless people, even people who are starving...stand behind the grocery store dumpsters and pick out the edible food in there. Even at Restaurants, you can spot the Homeless waiting around the dumpsters at closing time.....

No one never knows when they might be in a position to do just that. (Eat out of dumpsters)....but there is Food out there!..No reason for someone to starve to death, or kill their children, unless they are truly mentall ill, disoriented, overwhelmed, etc.

The mentally ill are seldom well informed regarding available services. I wonder why it was that the food stamp office did not inform this woman of her other options. I'd say someone dropped the ball. At the very least, they could have referred her to a crisis center that would have helped her identify and use other resources.

The mentally ill are seldom well informed regarding available services. I wonder why it was that the food stamp office did not inform this woman of her other options. I'd say someone dropped the ball. At the very least, they could have referred her to a crisis center that would have helped her identify and use other resources.

I feel the Food Stamp Centers are overwhelmed with so many applicants...I know it is here in Jax....They have "no time" to inform you or write things down...etc. Some people come out of there literally crying....The one on my side of town is at a shopping center, and you can see lines and lines of people waiting to get in.....and even if she was referred to other services, could be she had no transportation to get there....or had no idea how to get there....many of Jax's services are downtown where you have to call and make an appointment and find ur own transportation. If she had no money for food, then surely she had no money for bus fare (I believe)....

*sigh*...it's really rough out there, has been for a long time!

So does mine, but I don't worry about it. It gives a couple of people something to do...search out my misspelled words and make a post about it.:giggle:

Or to correct your understanding of grammar. :giggle:

Our church runs a food pantry for families in dire straights. They have to prove that they have no other means of obtaining food and it is an emergency situation. Even then, once we assist them, we ask that they not re-apply for six months so that other families in need may be able to obtain assistance. We give them enough food for one week.

I'm not sure what the paperwork actually consists of but I am sure they have to put down an address, SSN, and a place of employment if applicable.

Our food pantry basically buys them some time until they are able to get government assistance or until they are able to get work to pay for food.

Our church used to give money to those in need until certain people started coming in every week and abuse it. Now when these people come in we ask them "What is your specific need"? If they say "I need money for _______.", then we say OK, you need ______, great we can help you with that. Then we do it ourselves to ensure that's EXACTLY where the money is going. We have fewer families coming in abusing our help.

Like for example if someone comes in claiming they need $20 for gas to get back and forth to work until payday, what we do is we go to the gas station purchase $20 of gas and fill them into gas containers then bring them back to the church fill up the person's vehicle with the gas and say, OK, now you have gas to get back and forth to work until you get paid. Is there anything else we can help you with or pray about with you? the person usually thanks us and drives off almost embarrassed or maybe even a little defeated that they did not walk out with cash.

We work with Good Samaritan's Purse in our annual Christmas Child shoebox drive.

We still help people, we just don't hand out cash anymore. We actually physically fulfill their need.

My word, I'm finding out about some interesting differences! Around here, the food shelves require forms detailing your income sources, documentation on all your family members, a current drivers license & utility bill with a matching mailing address.

i wasnt saying its right either, im saying that was a sheer extreme action , think of this way,

perhaps she thought, "I cant feed them, i cant feed myself whos gonna feed them? might as well we all die' << that's how bad it was for them....

its like choosing to die instead of leaving oneself's dead in shame and letting kids die of hunger.....or so to that effect..

My mother and I was discussing this a few weeks back. On why parents kill their children then themselves.

I feel that they "think" they are doing it out of love. To prevent the children from suffering. They feel there is no hope for themselves or children. They feel if they kill themself with out killing their children they are leaving them behind to suffer.

Not saying I approve of this or anything. But Parents do get it drilled into their heads that the children are their responsibility. So in their minds it may naturally follow that it's their responsibility to "take care" of the children before they do themselves in... :(

My word, I'm finding out about some interesting differences! Around here, the food shelves require forms detailing your income sources, documentation on all your family members, a current drivers license & utility bill with a matching mailing address.

Here the food bank can give you an emergency pack of food that should last about 1 week upon visiting. But if you want long term assistance they need paperwork, after getting paperwork they will give you monthly food carts.

that is a very tragic original story...and indicative of wider-spread system failure.

when I was a case manager, our agency had a number of sections or operations. my boss and agency director also established a group home - in which I had a few clients - and a small food pantry. The food pantry was mostly for the clients and for immediate neighborhood residents in general. The clients had paperwork in their charts regarding what they got from the pantry and neighborhood people did have to provide proof of address. One of the caseworker's duties was to spend time each week or month working on some aspect of the food program.

Maybe the mother felt ashamed and she couldn't bear to go to the food bank. She obviously felt that there was no hope. Many people who are hungry thought that it would never happen to them and they can't handle it. Not a healthy response but sometimes circumstances push people over the edge.

Our church runs a food pantry for families in dire straights. They have to prove that they have no other means of obtaining food and it is an emergency situation. Even then, once we assist them, we ask that they not re-apply for six months so that other families in need may be able to obtain assistance. We give them enough food for one week.

I'm not sure what the paperwork actually consists of but I am sure they have to put down an address, SSN, and a place of employment if applicable.

Our food pantry basically buys them some time until they are able to get government assistance or until they are able to get work to pay for food.

Our church used to give money to those in need until certain people started coming in every week and abuse it. Now when these people come in we ask them "What is your specific need"? If they say "I need money for _______.", then we say OK, you need ______, great we can help you with that. Then we do it ourselves to ensure that's EXACTLY where the money is going. We have fewer families coming in abusing our help.

Like for example if someone comes in claiming they need $20 for gas to get back and forth to work until payday, what we do is we go to the gas station purchase $20 of gas and fill them into gas containers then bring them back to the church fill up the person's vehicle with the gas and say, OK, now you have gas to get back and forth to work until you get paid. Is there anything else we can help you with or pray about with you? the person usually thanks us and drives off almost embarrassed or maybe even a little defeated that they did not walk out with cash.

We work with Good Samaritan's Purse in our annual Christmas Child shoebox drive.

We still help people, we just don't hand out cash anymore. We actually physically fulfill their need.

That is the way it is in my area, as well. I find it difficult to believe that anyone operates any other way.

My mother and I was discussing this a few weeks back. On why parents kill their children then themselves.

I feel that they "think" they are doing it out of love. To prevent the children from suffering. They feel there is no hope for themselves or children. They feel if they kill themself with out killing their children they are leaving them behind to suffer.

Hopelessness is the defining feature of suicide. That would include killing your children and then yourself.

Hopelessness is the defining feature of suicide. That would include killing your children and then yourself.
When I had depression severe enough to consider killing myself, I felt that there was no hope for me at all and that I had no future.

Depression is the dementor that sucks all of the hope and happiness out of you. That's why JK Rowling created dementors. She had issues with depression, too.

I have been followin this story very closely...The mother lost her father 8 yrs ago. He died at his construction job in Cali.The aunt said she never got over it. The family moved to TX from Ohio. The family were livin in tiny rv with cracks. The aunt said the guy who was held hostage gave her 300 dollars in food stamp... The boy didnt make it. :(

edit: LINK:
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder....Texas-dies?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Im sorry, the male supervisor gave her $3,000 worth in food stamp..I dont get it.

Sounds like she was paranoid. Definitely mental illness. So sad.

Yup, that's pretty much nails the wood. Also, more available variety of foods in the area as well. We only have tiny aisles of health foods. I'm a bit surprised that Wal-mart just begin showing up heath foods in frozen aisle. Thank god for the spell-checker built in. My spelling sucks, LOL.

You're not the only one. :giggle: You should see my posts before I edit them.

Has anyone else wondered about maybe if she had gotten all the food she wanted if something else would have made her snap? She didn't seem too mentally stable.

I agree Steinhauer. To me it seems more like it was the mental illness at play more so than being denied food stamps.

Back