Food Stamps denied, mother shoots daughter and son and kills herself, all die.

So, in Texas, one can just walk into a food bank without a referral and no documentation and obtain groceries? I find that a little difficult to believe.

A few can just with signing your name. We got bunch of food from United Salivtory with bunch of paperwork. That one is christmas food drive.

Absolutely, The food bank I have worked with most is once a week. They only ask for a first name though....that is mainly so that they can later pray for them by name. Some actually refuse to give a first name....they still get the groceries.

So how do they know that the people coming to the food bank are actually in need? Seems to me that they are risking the people who are actually in need not getting assistance.

A few can just with signing your name. We got bunch of food from United Salivtory with bunch of paperwork. That one is christmas food drive.

Yes, the Salvation Army requires paperwork and a referral. Good Samaritan requires a referral and documentation of the number of children in the home, because amount of food given is based on number of adults and number of children living in the home. The individual churches here generally don't run food pantries. They take up collections of food and then donate it to Good Samaritan. Same as the schools when they do a food drive. Good Samaritan is the unbrella organization for the churhes. The individual churces run soup kitchens, so that each day of the week, a different church provides hot meals for free to the indigent. A number of businesses also make their donations directly to Good Sam or the Salvation Army or the homeless shelters here.

Yes, the Salvation Army requires paperwork and a referral. Good Samaritan requires a referral and documentation of the number of children in the home, because amount of food given is based on number of adults and number of children living in the home. The individual churches here generally don't run food pantries. They take up collections of food and then donate it to Good Samaritan. Same as the schools when they do a food drive. The individual churces run soup kitchens, so that each day of the week, a different church provides hot meals for free to the indigent. A number of businesses also make their donations directly to Good Sam or the Salvation Army or the homeless shelters here.

Some places, you can simply line up and grab a free hot meal for dinner without signing up anything. I did that several times in the past.

Some places, you can simply line up and grab a free hot meal for dinner without signing up anything. I did that several times in the past.

Yep. The Salvation Army shelter not far from here offers free lunch to the public seven days a week.

So how do they know that the people coming to the food bank are actually in need? Seems to me that they are risking the people who are actually in need not getting assistance.

We've never run out :)

Oh, yeah. Soup kitchens generally don't require any kind of paperwork or identification.

The food at United Salvatory for free lunch tastes nasty, though. It's very rare to come by with a food bank with healthy food alternatives. Most of the time, it's canned foods, and all that simple bread and milk stuff, ya know?

Not running out of food, and being able to provide supplies for a couple weeks worth of nutritous meals for a family is two different things.:cool2:

Only have to provide for one week....and we have never turned anyone away. *shrug*

The food at United Salvatory for free lunch tastes nasty, though. It's very rare to come by with a food bank with healthy food alternatives. Most of the time, it's canned foods, and all that simple bread and milk stuff, ya know?

Good Sam does meats and produce as well. They are more reliant on canned goods in the winter, but they always have the items necessary to provide for meals for a family for a 2 week span.

Only have to provide for one week....and we have never turned anyone away. *shrug*

Still a big difference.

How many families are served through this particular food bank? What would an average provision consist of?

Good Sam does meats and produce as well. They are more reliant on canned goods in the winter, but they always have the items necessary to provide for meals for a family for a 2 week span.

Yeah, I do miss the foods from California, Oregon and Washington. They got lots of health food stores while here is pretty much almost non existant.

Yeah, I do miss the foods from California, Oregon and Washington. They got lots of health food stores while here is pretty much almost non existant.

Yes, I'd say the area you are in has a lot to do with the kinds of foods the food bank has available.

Yes, I'd say the area you are in has a lot to do with the kinds of foods the food bank has available.

Yup, that's pretty much nails the wood. Also, more available variety of foods in the area as well. We only have tiny aisles of health foods. I'm a bit surprised that Wal-mart just begin showing up heath foods in frozen aisle. Thank god for the spell-checker built in. My spelling sucks, LOL.

It's really sad that the woman felt the need to kill her children because of this....just don't think she was savvy to other organizations that could have helped her....

Here in Jax, we have "Potter's House", which feeds the poor and needy twice a week. Driver's License and social(s) are required for each member of the family. Also, many Churches give out free bread/pies/dougnuts, etc., once a week, all the bread you want....and free clothes too. Another organization once every week gives out Veggies and sometimes Milk, but no Meat....The lines are a mile long...some people wait 3-4 hours in the heat and cold, even the elderly....most don't even have transportation, they have to walk there. This is just on my side of town (Jax), and I'm sure other parts of Jax do the same.....

Many, many Homeless people, even people who are starving...stand behind the grocery store dumpsters and pick out the edible food in there. Even at Restaurants, you can spot the Homeless waiting around the dumpsters at closing time.....

No one never knows when they might be in a position to do just that. (Eat out of dumpsters)....but there is Food out there!..No reason for someone to starve to death, or kill their children, unless they are truly mentall ill, disoriented, overwhelmed, etc.

Yup, that's pretty much nails the wood. Also, more available variety of foods in the area as well. We only have tiny aisles of health foods. I'm a bit surprised that Wal-mart just begin showing up heath foods in frozen aisle. Thank god for the spell-checker built in. My spelling sucks, LOL.

So does mine, but I don't worry about it. It gives a couple of people something to do...search out my misspelled words and make a post about it.:giggle:

Back