fm system?

I've heard of, and seen pictures of a large box students had to wear around their neck. Is that what you're thinking of?

Fortunately, technology has significantly improved to the point that most FM systems are maybe 2 inches by 3 inches (maybe- numbers have always been my enemy). So they are small in comparison to before. Also, only the "speaker" wears the FM itself while the student has little "boots" to connect to the bottom.

Frankiesmom- if you feel like your able to give him enough language through sign, I really don't think you need to wear the FM at home. However, if you want to there is certainly no harm in doing it.

As your son gets older, you'll want to have it at home for when he participates in extracurricular activities (Boy Scouts, baseball, soccer etc.).

Well, the teacher would wear the microphone and I would have a box that I would clip onto my belt with boots that would attach to my hearing aids. I never liked how the cords would always get caught in something and get yanked plus the fm worked almost too well for it would pick up everything including the teacher clearing her throat or the sound of her clothes rustling. Plus my backpack was always full of books and it was a pain trying to shove in the bag with all the fm accessories.

The fm has its good points but the cons of it eventually made me stop using it.

So because of his age he doesnt have the right to tv/music/radio?

Also for tv use captions they are great for pre reading skills

Sheesh. Did I say that? NO.

I wore one all my school years. So I know exactly what they do.

At 15 months, and not wearing a HA YET, it doesn't seem to be an issue for this little boy. Once he has an understanding to ANY degree (even if it's just any sound) of tv, music, radio, then sure.

So because of his age he doesnt have the right to tv/music/radio?

Also for tv use captions they are great for pre reading skills

Sheesh. Did I say that? NO.

I wore one all my school years. So I know exactly what they do.

At 15 months, and not wearing a HA YET, it doesn't seem to be an issue for this little boy. Once he has an understanding to ANY degree (even if it's just any sound) of tv, music, radio, then sure.

I've heard of, and seen pictures of a large box students had to wear around their neck. Is that what you're thinking of?

Fortunately, technology has significantly improved to the point that most FM systems are maybe 2 inches by 3 inches (maybe- numbers have always been my enemy). So they are small in comparison to before. Also, only the "speaker" wears the FM itself while the student has little "boots" to connect to the bottom.

As your son gets older, you'll want to have it at home for when he participates in extracurricular activities (Boy Scouts, baseball, soccer etc.).

yes you wore one at school. it was probably a box and your hearing aid mics were probably set to turn off when it was connected. Am i right?

today the boots are less than inch and connect to the BTE and sit on the ear
and hearing aid mics can be left when the fm is connected

and they are expensive!! i am about to have my mind blown with all these prices.
it has to be a phonak brand one..what is the lowest price one available?

The toddler doesn't wear the FM itself- there are little "boots" that connect to the bottom of the HA's. My son had no problems using it, he ran around and acted like the typical curious, rambunctious toddler. The only time it "got in the way" was when he was playing with water, at which point we'd just take his HA's off.

DeafCaroline and CSign, I'm LOLing remembering the big bulky FM devices we had to wear in the old days....they were like body worn hearing aids with a harness. They are a lot smaller now.....but, I'm with everyone else that a dhh kid doesn't nessarily need one for home use until they're a bit older. Generations of deaf kids have grown up without FM home usage, and they've done awesome!

and they are expensive!! i am about to have my mind blown with all these prices.
it has to be a phonak brand one..what is the lowest price one available?

Do you really want to be the one to purchase it? As Deafbajagal and I both mentioned, the parent is not responsible for supplementary aids and services. The county office in which he receives his services is responsible for providing equipment (i.e. FM system).

Also in one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the county office was going to pay for PART of the school. The county office is obligated to provide your son with a Free and Appropriate Public Education at no cost to the parents. In other words, they have to provide him with an education that will meet his unique needs. You also should not be coming out of pocket for his classroom placement.

do they sell one that isnt mind blowing expensive??
we took him to the deaf preschool and it looks like he is in! yay! BUT they said he needs an fm system.
i about had a heart attack when i saw the prices..wow!!! :shock: she said they can loan him one when he is there but he needs one at home..i am not even entirely sure of what they are for..is it to reduce background noise??
thanks!!

Just opt for the loaner while he is at pre-school. He really doesn't need an FM system any other time. Certainly not for home use. Expecially since you are using ASL with him. You don't want to turn every moment of his life into speech and auditory therapy. He needs time to just be a kid.

wow, I guess things have changed since i was a teenager!

Not so much. Just because the device is not as bulky doesn't mean that it is a good idea to harness a child to it all the time. The purpose is still the same. And a child just does not need to be placed in a position like that. They need time to simply be children, without every moment of their life being turned into a directive speech and listening session. Since this mother is using sign with her child, it especially isn't necessary for him to wear an FM system at home. Wearing one at pre-school should be sufficient. And, even then, only if he seems to getting more benefit than agrravation from the system. Even in an educational environment, many kids really object to the FM system.

you know what..that is a good point!
i dont want to have to buy it but oh man is my early intervention lady worthless! i called her several times last week, as did the audiologist and the director of the school...again, and shes yet to do a thing! :/ i am asking for a new one monday morning. if she doesnt talk to the director it will be a moot point because they wont hold that spot forever.

Back