fm system?

frankiesmom

Reaction score
do they sell one that isnt mind blowing expensive??
we took him to the deaf preschool and it looks like he is in! yay! BUT they said he needs an fm system.
i about had a heart attack when i saw the prices..wow!!! :shock: she said they can loan him one when he is there but he needs one at home..i am not even entirely sure of what they are for..is it to reduce background noise??
thanks!!

It is like a small portable radio station. The speaking person would wear a microphone on their collar or somewhere similar, along with a small transmitter box. The listener would have a small receiver in their pocket, (think Ipod-size) along with a headset from that receiver, to hear what is being said. They are expensive. I looked into this before for schooling and whatnot.

Get an Individual Family Service Plan (similar to an IEP) for your child to make sure the preschool program is meeting his needs...if you need help with this, contact your state's special education department. In this plan, you can get a FM system (if it is appropriate and will help his education progress) without any cost to you. Let me know if you need help with it.

^^^ What she said.

Having one for home is entirely optional. I did not use one at home. Only at school.

You don't really need one for home...I mean it could be handy in the car and listening to audio but asides from school I don't use my fm system and at his age I don't think he would be needing it for an mp3 player or listening to music..I think you can get by without having to purchase one

This bring back childhood memories....

I had the FM system at home and school, didn't last long at home though.

I remember my 3rd grade teacher "Mrs. Joke" but she wasn't funny... she was actually pretty spiteful to me. Made me write sentences at recess all the time. Well, at a meeting she straight out told the principal in front of my mom "I'm not going to wear this!" and he looked at her and said "oh, yes you are!"

Needless to say.... the joke is on her :D

This bring back childhood memories....

I had the FM system at home and school, didn't last long at home though.

I remember my 3rd grade teacher "Mrs. Joke" but she wasn't funny... she was actually pretty spiteful to me. Made me write sentences at recess all the time. Well, at a meeting she straight out told the principal in front of my mom "I'm not going to wear this!" and he looked at her and said "oh, yes you are!"

Needless to say.... the joke is on her :D

Wow, my fourth grade teacher did the same thing! She told my mother she would not use it...and needless to say, she was wearing it the same day.

OFC, the FM system didn't help me one bit, but that's a whole another thread. :)

well, apparently their classrooms use it..i am going to wait because honestly..the idea of handing a toddler a 700 dollar piece of equipment is a bit unsettling to me!
(hearing aids aside, of course) if its not necessary at home, then i really dont want to add to the expenses we have been accumulating recently!

Why would deaf pre-school require FM? Something is fishy

No, it's not. Many preschoolers use FM systems with hearing aids to amplify sounds and diminish background noises.

What is fishy is that the preschool program is pushing the mother to purchase one (if I understand that correctly) when she can easily get free equipment with special education services.

Wow, my fourth grade teacher did the same thing! She told my mother she would not use it...and needless to say, she was wearing it the same day.

OFC, the FM system didn't help me one bit, but that's a whole another thread. :)

You would think teachers are supposed to help children learn the best way possible. That their interest was for the children's learning.

I remember the class were making puppets and Mrs. Joke wouldn't let me make one because apparently you had to have good grades and such... I'm pretty sure she graded me badly on purpose. God she was evil!

I have no idea why she hated me so much, why it was such a big deal to her to wear the fm.

i had a teacher like that...mrs morris! that woman lived to make my day suck as much as humanly possible!:lol:
unfortunately, the insurance wont pay for a little one to have an fm system, but they are going to try and convince them to do it anyways.
i hope this school works out but they were slightly dismissive when i told them about some of his delays, particularly the choking on food thing..they suggested "pushing him a little to get him to his developmental age" but i dont think that is a good idea just yet..luckily i am getting a doctors note for him saying to NOT force him to eat and not to take his bottle from him, since he cant hold a cup yet.

OMG...if he's having swallowing issues, he def' needs an IFSP asap...he also may qualify for a speech therapist to work with him, who will help with his swallowing issue. I have a hutch he may also qualify for occupational therapy, depending on the severity of his developmental delays. If he qualifies for special education services, you may not have to pay a dime for equipment and services he needs.

I cannot stress the importance of early intervention at this stage of his life, which I'm sure you already know. Luckily, the law is on your side.

she said they can loan him one when he is there but he needs one at home..i am not even entirely sure of what they are for..is it to reduce background noise??
You know I'm with everyone here. I know they're pushing out of classroom FM usage, but I've never understood the point of that for little kids. In home usage can wait til he's older....Quite frankly it's one of those things that is kneejerkingly reccomended for hoh kids, but in actually, benifit varies from person to person.
Oh, and I know many hoh as kids adults who use and still use them in the classroom....but I know of NO hoh as kids adults who use them outside of the classroom.

Believe it or not...FM systems are being really beneficial to hearing kids with ADHD. It reduces background noise and emphasizes the speaker's voice. Isn't that just mind-blowing. Ofc, the volume of the FM isn't too amplifying, to reduce the risk of hearing loss (lol)...but soundfield systems have shown to be very beneficial to hearing kids.

For a deaf kid, the FM system is a double-edge sword. It helps reduce background noise, but at the same time, the background noise needs to be incorporated for true auditory training of using hearing aids...and sometimes the use of the FM system prevents the kid from 'hearing' what other people are saying if they don't have the microphone. For one-on-one sessions, however, it might be ideal. It really depends on the severity of the hearing loss and the objective of using the FM system.

OMG...if he's having swallowing issues, he def' needs an IFSP asap...he also may qualify for a speech therapist to work with him, who will help with his swallowing issue. I have a hutch he may also qualify for occupational therapy, depending on the severity of his developmental delays. If he qualifies for special education services, you may not have to pay a dime for equipment and services he needs.

oh, he has one...and as a result of this past weeks events, i am asking for a new "resource coordinator".
she is proving to be worthless..his ifsp says that a speech therapist will come out twice a month to show him 5 baby signs. and thats it. she wont return my calls, and i have had to make all the appointments and find stuff..they didnt even know about this school, i found it through the first school we toured. the audiologist has tried to get in touch with her for 3 days now because we need her to sign some stuff so that early intervention will pay for part of the school, to no avail..its so frustrating!! today, when we took him to be evaluated for speech therapy, they decided to do an internal referral for the feeding, occupational, physical and language therapy. i am glad his audiologist is so caring and helpful though, she has helped us a lot through this!

Wow! You are jumping through a lot of hoops, aren't you? I'm so sorry it's been a frustrating experience. Is there a way to report her to her supervisor? I hope it all works out for you soon.

Back