fm system?

i thought about it, but she might truly be overloaded with other kids, and i dont want her to get in trouble over that, specially since i have managed to get everything set up..but its still annoying that she wont return my messages.
i am really really excited about this school..it was designed for kids with hearing issues..carpeted floors, lots of pictures and signs, and they said they promote "deaf culture", which i have seen the term here but i am still not sure exactly what it is..they also require every teacher to be fluent in sign language, which is really good..we will start taking lessons ourselves next month!

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction! Keep fighting for everything he needs, which I'm sure you will do. Best wishes. I'm looking forward to reading more posts on how he's doing. :)

thanks! this forum has helped me immensely..seriously! from just the bit i had read, i was able to talk to the audiologist and not be completely confused, and that was awesome :) :)

i thought about it, but she might truly be overloaded with other kids, and i dont want her to get in trouble over that, specially since i have managed to get everything set up..but its still annoying that she wont return my messages.
i am really really excited about this school..it was designed for kids with hearing issues..carpeted floors, lots of pictures and signs, and they said they promote "deaf culture", which i have seen the term here but i am still not sure exactly what it is..they also require every teacher to be fluent in sign language, which is really good..we will start taking lessons ourselves next month!
On the other hand, I would complain. She sounds very incomtempant. It's possible she is just a general developmental delay speech therapist,and doesn't know a lot about speech therapy for dhh kids.
It is AWESOME that you got hooked up with the school!!! He will really benifit strongly from such a setting....and I think he'll get decent speech therapy there too!

Awesome. Over 30 years ago, I had FM system in school only. My own personal/experience that i think having FM system in school is good enough. I agree that FM system is pretty expensive for having it at home. :shock: Just up to parents to work with kids by teaching whatever the parents wish. My parents tried to teach me how to speak or listen, but I did hear but constanty ignore them. I have four siblings to go after them and ignore my parents. I am more comfortable with signing. deafbajagal has excellents tips to give you some informations. Hope you keep posting and reading from each of us who have different opinions, experiences and souls. :)

Frankiesmom- I agree with Deafbajagal. If he is under 3 the county office is responsible for providing the FM system. If he's over 3 it becomes the responsibility of the school district. Your son won't really be handling the FM at this age. He will have "boots" or "audioshoes" connected to his HA's, and the teacher will wear the FM itself. I would urge you to send an email (so that way it's documented) letting the coordinator know that the school has recommended the FM system, and that he needs it. You do not have to come out of pocket for it.

P.S. That speech "goal" seems questionable. How old is he? It would be appropriate for them to have included him articulating certain sounds as well, depending on his age.

he doesnt really make any other sounds, except for a loud "ugh!!!" whenever hes excited, or when he cries for something. well, there is one other noise...its a noise that sounds like tv static, sort of a schhhhchh!!! noise..he loves to do that.

How old is he?
I missed the part that said they were recommending home use. When the county office or district purchases an FM for him, it can be written into his IEP/IFSP that he will take the FM home with him for use outside the school.
We keep the FM system at home for use in my son's extracurricular activities. I never wore it myself at home because I'm always signing when I'm talking so I didn't really "need" to.
I know a family that used the FM at home on a regular basis (they signed, but much more limited) and it seemed to be quite beneficial for their daughter. Especially when they were in the car and mom was driving, unable to look at her daughter. I personally noticed her articulation improve with more consistent use of the FM.
I think if you are always signing with him though, you don't "need" to use it at home. Maybe for certain events. A recent example was that we attended a funeral, so I had the Priest wear the FM.
The most important thing is that he has complete and ongoing access to language.

he is 15 months now..
i just spoke with the early intervention lady and she said she didnt know if they could help with one anyways, but she would bring it up next time they have a meeting..pff. she also blew off getting a hold of the supervisor at the deaf preschool too, but said she will "look into it".
:roll: i am totally asking for a new resource coordinator. worse comes to worse, we will just suck it up and buy one, if need be.

When do you anticipate him starting school there? Is it an Early Intervention class through the county, or a Non-public school? I can't get the Ed code right now, but I can post it later.

The family is not responsible for "supplementary aids and services" and the FM system falls under that category.

I would really urge you to send the coordinator an email following up on the conversation you had. It's hard for me to say much more without knowing whether or not it's an early intervention class. Either way though, they are the ones responsible for providing the FM. There is no reason for you to have to purchase one.

It sounds like you need to start documenting these conversations though, and I'd say primarily communicate through email for now.

How old is your son? I am thinking for such a young toddler, being tied down with hearing aids and fm systems would be irritating when he would want to be unencumbered and free to play without being told he can't do anything that would break the aids. FM system at home is not really essential. And I wouldn't make a toddler wear it. Sounds too restrictive. He's got enough to contend with as it is.

A lot of the staff and administrators are not knowledgable about the laws and Ed Codes. I would never recommend "taking their word for it" without doing research and seeing it for yourself. I've been told they "couldn't do things" and after I've shown them documentation (or other routes) we've ended up with what we asked for in the beginning.

The toddler doesn't wear the FM itself- there are little "boots" that connect to the bottom of the HA's. My son had no problems using it, he ran around and acted like the typical curious, rambunctious toddler. The only time it "got in the way" was when he was playing with water, at which point we'd just take his HA's off.

The toddler doesn't wear the FM itself- there are little "boots" that connect to the bottom of the HA's. My son had no problems using it, he ran around and acted like the typical curious, rambunctious toddler. The only time it "got in the way" was when he was playing with water, at which point we'd just take his HA's off.

wow, I guess things have changed since i was a teenager!

I would remand one for home. Fantastic for the tv,
do you play music/listen to the radio in your home/car?

Just make sure that the aids are programmed fm+mic(so he can he still "hear" the environment noises)

Just make sure that the aids are programmed fm+mic(so he can he still "hear" the environment noises)

But we're talking about a 15-month old at this point (in this thread, anyway.)

wow, I guess things have changed since i was a teenager!

I've heard of, and seen pictures of a large box students had to wear around their neck. Is that what you're thinking of?

Fortunately, technology has significantly improved to the point that most FM systems are maybe 2 inches by 3 inches (maybe- numbers have always been my enemy). So they are small in comparison to before. Also, only the "speaker" wears the FM itself while the student has little "boots" to connect to the bottom.

Frankiesmom- if you feel like your able to give him enough language through sign, I really don't think you need to wear the FM at home. However, if you want to there is certainly no harm in doing it.

As your son gets older, you'll want to have it at home for when he participates in extracurricular activities (Boy Scouts, baseball, soccer etc.).

Wtf

But we're talking about a 15-month old at this point (in this thread, anyway.)

So because of his age he doesnt have the right to tv/music/radio?

Also for tv use captions they are great for pre reading skills

Back