FL. Loses Appeal in Terri Schiavo Case

Brain dead?

How can a brain dead person breathe on it own?

So she isn't brain dead.

Its like this,,Suppose your pet cant move and hes still breathing? You ask the vet to put it to sleep right? Well theres no law ending your pets life. There is a law ending a persons life. You know why the goverment makes foolish laws that you cant kill a person even he or shes cant feed his or herself? Because youre a burden to the goverment. The goverment cannot make money off your pet. Your pets dont go out and spend money. Your pet doesnt have insurance. And you pet doest go to a big hospital wheres big business in it. Thats why the goverment says you must pay a lawyer if you want that person to leagal die. Thats why we have Dr Kevorkain. Its Stupid courts and judges to put Dr Kevorkain in prison cause its all about money.

TTT said:
How can a brain dead person breathe on it own?

So she isn't brain dead.

The brain stem controls breathing, metabolism, other bodily functions. When a person is deprived of oxygen ( as in this case), their brain might become so damaged that it ceases to function. All that remains, is the person's ability to breathe and so forth. That's what happened here. You are correct in one thing. She is not technically brain dead. I believe that in order for that to be the case, she would have to have no blood going to her brain. She has circulation to the brain, but what good is it if the structural parts of her brain no longer work?

so what?

just tell the husband to divorce Terri.

And just let the family members handle it.

You said she is dead already... spirit is gone or whatever...

So if the family members still want her body alive. Then
let her body live.

Don't compare her to a dog.

ravensteve1961 said:
Its like this,,Suppose your pet cant move and hes still breathing? You ask the vet to put it to sleep right? Well theres no law ending your pets life. There is a law ending a persons life. You know why the goverment makes foolish laws that you cant kill a person even he or shes cant feed his or herself? Because youre a burden to the goverment. The goverment cannot make money off your pet. Your pets dont go out and spend money. Your pet doesnt have insurance. And you pet doest go to a big hospital wheres big business in it. Thats why the goverment says you must pay a lawyer if you want that person to leagal die. Thats why we have Dr Kevorkain. Its Stupid courts and judges to put Dr Kevorkain in prison cause its all about money.

You know, Steve. Sometimes, in your ramblings you actually make sense. Because, you're right. At this point, that's what this case has come down to. Money and a cause.

Every one has a point to prove, and they are using Terri to do it.

It's very very sad.

well

in the news, it said Terri cried when doctors refused to give her pain medicine... so the nurses beg doctors to give her pain medicine so she
could stop crying.

And the doctors gave her some pain medicine.

So if you starve her... would you imagine what Terri will do...
She'll cry for a whole week....
and the nurses will be upset.

So that is cruel.

They aren't gonna put Terri to sleep... they will unplug her feeding tube.

They put a dog to sleep... but they won't put her to sleep.

So if they legalize right to die..... then many other patients (thousands) will ask for that.
Especially Senior Citizens will ask Doctors for that... to avoid Alzheimer's Disease or Parkinson Disease....

It just occured to me....I know many of you have children and that you love them very much, so I am going to put to you a very hard question.

Suppose, just suppose that one of your children somehow suffers a serious medical condition that leaves her or him unable to eat, drink or care for himself at all. But if you think you see just a tiny glimmer of hope that in time the child can recover and be able to function on his own, would you fight as hard as you can to keep your child alive and to seek state-of-art medical therapy that will be very effective for his full recovery? Please think about it.

I don't have children of my own...even so, I truly sympathize with Terri's parents. Their anguish at the thought of losing their deeply beloved daughter is heart-breaking. :(

And you can't just say "But Terri is an adult, not a kid!" She IS still their child, no matter how old she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toonces said:
Suppose, just suppose that one of your children somehow suffers a serious medical condition that leaves her or him unable to eat, drink or care for himself at all. But if you think you see just a tiny glimmer of hope that in time the child can recover and be able to function on his own, would you fight as hard as you can to keep your child alive and to seek state-of-art medical therapy that will be very effective for his full recovery? Please think about it.
I would let my child go.. rather having my child suffer for many weeks, months and years. That is NOT 'life' at all. If I am in that shoes, I prefer to be dead than living with that kind of 'life'. I already made a will to not put me in same situation where Terri is in.

It is an individual opinion. Nothing more or less than that.

Excuse me, just one more thing.... ^_^;;;

If you don't have children of your own, don't be so quick to say "Oh, that's easy, I'll just let my child die, it's better that way!" It is NOT as easy to let a child go as you think. That's why I said to think about it.

(I'm sorry, Magatsu. I'm not sure if you are a father or not. ^^;; )

I never say that it will be easy for me. I know it will be hard but I rather to not have my child to be suffer like that. Period. That's humanly thing to do for my child at least. Of course that will be last choice. I will try everything before I can make the final decision about my child.

Again, that's me. You are you. Nothing more... like what I said before, it is an individual opinion.

No, I am not a father...yet. Heh.

death?

I remember that I couldn't get up.... from my sleep. :zzz:
When I was in bed. My body was paralyzed.....

I was just trying to get up...

My eyes were open... but things were blurry.

I was afraid I would never get up again.

I gave up... and relax. And thought to myself, I guess I am dead.

Then finally I got up.... and thinking was that a dream or was I dead?

Magatsu said:
I never say that it will be easy for me. I know it will be hard but I rather to not have my child to be suffer like that. Period. That's humanly thing to do for my child at least. Of course that will be last choice. I will try everything before I can make the final decision about my child.

Again, that's me. You are you. Nothing more... like what I said before, it is an individual opinion.

No, I am not a father...yet. Heh.

Alright, no problem. Maybe I should have worded it differently in my earlier post... but yes, it is up to parents to make final decision about their children after all they could do for them.

We can always agree to disagree about this issue. Cheers.

Out of curious.. are you a father or a mother? (I am not sure about your gender, sorry if I offend you)

good points u got there Ocean gurl! :thumb:

my own POV is i would just let go -- i would NOT want to have a loved one being put on life support if it was found there is NO hope of recovery and i support legalizing euthanasia for humans like we do for our furkids altho hard decision to make but it should be chosen VERY wisely -- i would limit euthanasia of humans to only cases where there is absolutely NO hope of recovery in the brain to have most of the functions intact -- i have already made it clear to my family that i do NOT want to be put on life support period and just let me die once my organs are taken for donation -- i dont see any life in this kind of state and knowing my dignity is torn to shreds :nono: if we are able to allow our furkids to die with dignity then i believe humans should be afforded the same opportunity in the very strictest of medical ethics

this would NOT apply for those who are struggling with depression or other mental health issues cuz those types of issues ARE treatable

so with this Schiavo case -- Terri should be allowed to die with some dignity IMHO

Toonces would you put your cat to sleep if he or she wasnt eatting anymore or cant move it hind legs anymore? Pets are considered children to some of us. And we would let the goverment interfe with that.Well the government aint gonna stop you from killing your pet. But it will stop you from taking your love ones live because theyres money involved in it.

Magatsu said:
We can always agree to disagree about this issue. Cheers.

Out of curious.. are you a father or a mother? (I am not sure about your gender, sorry if I offend you)

I'm a woman, and I'm not a mother (yet). :)

ravensteve1961 said:
Toonces would you put your cat to sleep if he or she wasnt eatting anymore or cant move it hind legs anymore? Pets are considered children to some of us. And we would let the goverment interfe with that.Well the government aint gonna stop you from killing your pet. But it will stop you from taking your love ones live because theyres money involved in it.

Well, it is a extremely difficult choice of whether to put the cat to sleep when her health is failing badly. :tears: Yes, I do consider my two cats to be like children to me, so I would cry if I have to put one of them to sleep. :(

And I agree that the government shouldn't interfere in the cases of life and death. But I am a bit annoyed when the judges act as though they are more powerful than the Governer or even the President himself when it comes to enforcing law. But that is a whole different discussion so it will be another topic for another time.

Update

There's been another ruling in the case.

Maybe now this is finally coming to an end.

Judge Won't Reconsider Schiavo Ruling

TAMPA, Fla. (Feb. 12) - A judge in a contentious right-to-die battle has refused to reconsider his ruling allowing a man to remove the feeding tube keeping his brain-damaged wife alive.

Circuit Court Judge George Greer rejected arguments by Terri Schiavo's parents that their daughter's due process rights were violated because she never had her own attorney.

Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, have waged a long fight in several courts to prevent their daughter's husband, Michael, from removing the feeding tube.

Friday's decision could pave the way for the tube to be removed in the coming weeks. A stay preventing the removal is to be lifted Feb. 22, according to Michael Schiavo's lawyer.

Terri Schiavo, 41, suffered severe brain damage 15 years ago and some doctors have ruled she is in a persistent vegetative state; others believe she does have some mental abilities.

David Gibbs, the attorney representing the Schindlers, did not immediately return a request for comment.

02/12/05 06:40 EST

O.K., so now they are going to remove the feeding tube and let her starve to death out of compassion for her. O.K. I guess I never really thought about starving someone to death as being compassionate. Maybe it is and it is just beyond my ability to imagine. :dunno:

Toonces said:
It just occured to me....I know many of you have children and that you love them very much, so I am going to put to you a very hard question.

I don't have children of my own...even so, I truly sympathize with Terri's parents. Their anguish at the thought of losing their deeply beloved daughter is heart-breaking. :(

And you can't just say "But Terri is an adult, not a kid!" She IS still their child, no matter how old she is.

:gpost: :werd: I agree with you It is still their child doesn't matter what age she is. I too sympathize Terri's parent also. I don't see the Parents are wrong for not letting her daughter to die. No parent should, not even me. :)

Back