First named Storm.

Wow! I caught twice that on RT 12 in OBX has been overflown with waves. Blame on Hurricane Bill.

The waves is crazy, serious rip tide, all beaches here are now off limit til Bill leaves. I do not know if I will be stuck here because I got warning that route 12 may be flooded resulting impasses.

It's a slow hurricane season, so far, with it's hurricane activity peaking by mid September. In December 2008 they predicted above normal hurricane activity for 2009 but a few weeks ago NOAA predicted lower than normal activity revising their earlier predictions.

I sure hope we get as little hurricane activity and tropical depression storms as possible this year, with little landfalls, too.

I am little surprise Hurricanes Bill will hit my own province of Newfoundland, Canada. It will happens sometimes tomorrow or early Monday morning.

I am little surprise Hurricanes Bill will hit my own province of Newfoundland, Canada. It will happens sometimes tomorrow or early Monday morning.

Yup, I read an article stating that they will have Tropical storm watches and warnings posted for the northeastern Seaboard. As Bill brushes by.

My brother and his friends spent the weekend at Ocean City, MD taking advantage of the big waves generated by Hurricane Bill. Now, they are leaving OC. He will tell me all about it tmw.

My brother and his friends spent the weekend at Ocean City, MD taking advantage of the big waves generated by Hurricane Bill. Now, they are leaving OC. He will tell me all about it tmw.

They Surf? Those big waves, also creates dangerous rip currents.

I have sat and watch huge waves being generated from Tropical Storms and hurricanes. It is awesome to watch. I am too chicken to even attempt to go in the water. I would roll around like a bobber and get beat up.

They Surf? Those big waves, also creates dangerous rip currents.

I have sat and watch huge waves being generated from Tropical Storms and hurricanes. It is awesome to watch. I am too chicken to even attempt to go in the water. I would roll around like a bobber and get beat up.

That was what my brother told me...he will fill me in the details tmw. :D

TBO.com - News From AP

Aug 23, 6:34 PM EDT

Hurricane wave sweeps Maine spectators out to sea

By JASON BRONIS
Associated Press Writer

EDGARTOWN, Mass. (AP) -- A rogue wave from Hurricane Bill swept spectators out to sea at a Maine park Sunday as the storm-churned surf attracted onlookers and daredevils along the Eastern Seaboard.

Rescue crews were searching for people believed to be lost in the waves near Acadia National Park as a man, a woman and a 7-year-old girl were pulled from the sea, Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Shane Coxon.

The three were part of an early afternoon crowd that had gathered on some rocks at the park's Thunder Hole, a popular tourist attraction where waves often crash into a crevasse and make a thundering sound while splashing high in the air.

"This is absolutely the effects of Hurricane Bill" coupled with the effect of high tide, park ranger Sonya Berger said.

The girl was unresponsive when she was rescued, the woman appeared to have a broken leg and the man had a previous heart condition that appeared to be acting up, Coxon said. Other people are believed to still be lost in the waves but Coxon did not know how many. The waves were running 10 to 12 feet high with 25-knot winds along the coast, he said.

The hurricane was also blamed for the death of a 54-year-old swimmer Saturday in Florida. Volusia County Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said Angel Rosa of Orlando was unconscious when he washed ashore in rough waves fueled by Bill at New Smyrna Beach, along the central Florida coast. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Lifeguards there also rescued a handful of other swimmers believed to have suffered spinal injuries.

The center of the hurricane was about 400 miles west-southwest of Newfoundland late Sunday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center. Its maximum sustained winds had dropped to 75 mph, and it was moving northeast at 35 mph. The storm is expected to continue to lose strength as it moves over cooler waters.

WOW!!

Lots of rip currents at the beaches from "Big Bill"....was supposed to rain all week....but heck! It was a beautiful, hot & steamy day today (Sunday)!....3 more months of watching out for Hurricanes.....knock on wood!...We've been incredibly lucky these past few years (Florida).

Anyone ever heard of the quote: "A very hot summer means it will be a mild winter"??....

Back