Feedback & Suggestions for Religion forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is just my personal feedback about the religion forum.

One aspect about the forum that sets it up for flame outs is that the religion forum is set up under "Debates". That automatically sparks the flame. Every thread started under "Debates" is expected to be a debate right from the get go. There's no way anyone can start a simple discussion or shared experiences thread under religions without it automatically being a "debate".

Would it be possible to have a "Spiritual Beliefs" sub-forum under "General Chat" instead of under "Debates"? "Spiritual Beliefs" would also be broad enough (dare I say "inclusive") to allow everyone in without segregating by "Christian" or "others".

One aspect about the forum that sets it up for flame outs is that the religion forum is set up under "Debates". That automatically sparks the flame. Every thread started under "Debates" is expected to be a debate right from the get go. There's no way anyone can start a simple discussion or shared experiences thread under religions without it automatically being a "debate".

Would it be possible to have a "Spiritual Beliefs" sub-forum under "General Chat" instead of under "Debates"? "Spiritual Beliefs" would also be broad enough (dare I say "inclusive") to allow everyone in without segregating by "Christian" or "others".

It would be a better off to not discuss about religion. It effects too much burden on the moderators and Alex. It is the best to keep this site in peace.

I wondered about that.....

The other possibility is when a user submits a post, it doesn't get posted right away until approved by a Administrator/moderator to make sure that it's on topic, no personal insults, etc. It works as it makes the poster aware of what they are saying and taking responsibility of their post. :) Plus you wouldn't have to worry about a topic being hi-jacked.

I've noticed quite a few forums are following the above method. And it works.

I wondered about that.....

The other possibility is when a user submits a post, it doesn't get posted right away until approved by a Administrator/moderator to make sure that it's on topic, no personal insults, etc. It works as it makes the poster aware of what they are saying and taking responsibility of their post. :) Plus you wouldn't have to worry about a topic being hi-jacked.

I've noticed quite a few forums are following the above method. And it works.

That's a good idea...just like some people on myspace who set up an approval process for any comments or messages sent to their pages.

It would be a better off to not discuss about religion. It effects too much burden on the moderators and Alex. It is the best to keep this site in peace.

Well.....I look at it this way, if it's too much burden on the Moderators and Alex, then there shouldn't have been a Religion forum to begin with. :)

Obviously Alex saw a need for it but how to handle it is the question. I'm sure he/she ( I don't know if it is a guy or gal ) will figure out something.

Have a little ol' ye faith. :giggle:

Amen

Oops!

Last edited:
Excellent suggestions, Reba and Bydie. I think submitting posts smacks too much of censorship, but it sure beats bailing out of the bunker and rolling a grenade back in.

Kalista and Jake, you two are really fair guys, and you both have so many other interests and expertises that surely you can surf elsewhere without even going near the religion subsection.

It’s only a few rotten apples who spoil the whole barrel that's important to many good apples who need fair people’s support.

I personally have no use for the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants subsection. I’ve had horrible experiences with both devices and am through with 'em, and that group snaps and snarls at each other like guard dogs in adjoining junk yards.

As far as I’m concerned, most of the Relationships section is a place to belittle and blast men and to announce coming out of the closet under an anonymous screen name.

But those sections and those things are important to some people, and I wouldn’t dream of calling for their closure just to cheer me up.

Excellent suggestions, Reba and Bydie. I think submitting posts smacks too much of censorship, but it sure beats bailing out of the bunker and rolling a grenade back in.

Kalista and Jake, you two are really fair guys, and you both have so many other interests and expertises that surely you can surf elsewhere without even going near the religion subsection.

It’s only a few rotten apples who spoil the whole barrel that's important to many good apples who need fair people’s support.

I personally have no use for the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants subsection. I’ve had horrible experiences with both devices and am through with 'em, and that group snaps and snarls at each other like guard dogs in adjoining junk yards.

As far as I’m concerned, most of the Relationships section is a place to belittle and blast men and to announce coming out of the closet under an anonymous screen name.

But those sections and those things are important to some people, and I wouldn’t dream of calling for their closure just to cheer me up.

I agree...I dont think it is fair that a subforum should be locked just cuz of a few people.

And people can always ingore it if they dont like it. I dont have much interest in religion so I dont really post in it.

Chase, you got good point!

I don't visit "Deaf Interests" very much, either.

(to think generally)

I agreed with Reba's similar idea, I did suggest once before they turned my suggestion down.. (http://www.alldeaf.com/forum-feedback-suggestions/49497-more-religion-sub-forums.html)

I don't think it's really fair because there are still non-debate threads that some ADers still want to discuss without having a drama... So, I hope Alex and Mods can consider about her idea and probably mine, too.

Hmm...

I would like something like that, if something like those created, probably I would come back to Alldeaf, I am not sure.. I don't create much of debate threads, and I felt so meanfully with my thread "Buddhism FAQ" which members could learn alot from me about Buddhism..

but I don't know... *sigh*...

Chase, you got good point!

I don't visit "Deaf Interests" very much, either.

(to think generally)

I agreed with Reba's similar idea, I did suggest once before they turned my suggestion down.. (http://www.alldeaf.com/forum-feedback-suggestions/49497-more-religion-sub-forums.html)

I don't think it's really fair because there are still non-debate threads that some ADers still want to discuss without having a drama... So, I hope Alex and Mods can consider about her idea and probably mine, too.

Hmm...

*nodding mmmhhh* I should support your feedback few weeks ago. I have been second thought since happened at few days ago and offer my suggestion about this twice in 2 different threads few days ago.

I would like something like that, if something like those created, probably I would come back to Alldeaf, I am not sure.. I don't create much of debate threads, and I felt so meanfully with my thread "Buddhism FAQ" which members could learn alot from me about Buddhism..

but I don't know... *sigh*...

Forgive me for not response your posts in your thread. I will consider your thread as soon as Religion forum re-open.

:rofl: Chase at the comment about "snaps and snarls at each other like guard dogs in adjoining junk yards." :rofl:

Great suggestion Reba, and Byrdie714. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for asking for the Religious forum to be closed permanently, during that time my emotions were hurting. And I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for not thinking of those who wishes not to have the Religious forum closed. The reason I'm here to show my support to Reba after all she had done so much for me that I'm truly grateful.

There are some threads I don't even particulate like the sport sub-forum, only if the Cleveland Indians are winning, I'll be in that sub-forum. There are many others too, the point is not everyone is going to like the fact that some of us would love to see the Religious sub-forum open, members have a choice not to particulate, and members also have a choice to particulate, but the reason why some of us really like to see it open, and move it to a different sub forum because our faith means so much to us more than you know. That's all I want to say. ;)

I also find Byrdie714's suggestion good, too but I doubt either his suggestion is best solution or not?

You know that Alex fixed the rules for AD Forum

Question about this rules.

Do you always follow some of his rules?

Do you think you would follow his rules before log in religion forum when you see some negative comments/questions?

Some ADers have emotion which is hard for them to handle the debate agree/disagree to forget Religion's rules when they saw "negative" comments/questions.

I guess it's better leave it since we are adult and know how to handle the debate in normal way. If anyone who take our posts personally then lock them.

Suggestion???

I think that submitting posts is way too much extra work for the Mods, too. Besides, it will just stir people to complain about "why wasn't my post posted".

...I personally have no use for the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants subsection. I’ve had horrible experiences with both devices and am through with 'em, and that group snaps and snarls at each other like guard dogs in adjoining junk yards.

Right. There are some sections that I never touch much less post in. I feel that AD is like a buffet or smörgåsbord--pick the selections that look good to you and leave the rest alone, for others to enjoy.

Yep, I have to say I agree with that too, because so much heated arugment on who right or wrong turns out to so much trouble when one can't learn to agree or disagree on the post without so much attacks. It would be better off to keep it closed and keep the peace between everbody. :)

Maybe we should also eliminate discussions about cochlear implants, oral education, cued speech, sports teams, abortion, literacy, elections, war, spanking, etc. This site can't be kept in peace with all those topics.

...Great suggestion Reba, and Byrdie714. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for asking for the Religious forum to be closed permanently, during that time my emotions were hurting. And I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for not thinking of those who wishes not to have the Religious forum closed. The reason I'm here to show my support to Reba after all she had done so much for me that I'm truly grateful.
That's OK. I don't have a problem with brief "cooling off" periods. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back