FCC fines Purple Communications $11.9 millions dollars for improper billing

but VRS companies also make money from gov't fund depending on how many people use it.

Sorenson receives $$$$$$$$$$ because it has a very large number of clients.

Last I heard this elephant in the room had 83% market share.....

the TRS fund which is the total of what everyone with a landmine phone paid through the relay surcharge is $774.2 million

from Fiscal Year 2013 Agency Financial Report | FCC.gov

Rolka Loube Saltzer Associates, LLC (RLSA) is the administrator for the TRS Fund. The TRS Fund compensates TRS providers for the reasonable costs of providing interstate telephone transmission services that enable a person with a hearing or speech disability to communicate with a person without hearing or speech disabilities. The costs of providing interstate TRS are recovered from subscribers of interstate telecommunications services. In FY 2013, TRS accounted for approximately $774.2 million...

Last I heard this elephant in the room had 83% market share.....

I think he saying that the punishment on those who commit VRS frauds should not befallen on us who uses VRS.

FCC shouldn't have to make all those reforms that could effect how us users uses the VRS because of the frauds, instead FCC should increase the fraud awareness.

I think it cheaper to increase the fraud awareness or install a system to detect fraud better than to change or reform the whole VRS.

but this problem was widespread and terrifying. we're not talking about a couple million dollars fraud. this is multi-million dollars fraud with a single goal - greed. it's criminal and it's shameful. I see that handful of you keep claiming that you knew this was gonna happen eventually and

yet.......... you did nothing.

I believe this reform will do us good in the long run. every big change will have a rough start but in the end - it will be beneficial for all including hearing people because they're taxpayers too. it's like Madoff all over again. stricter reforms and regulations were enacted and things got better. same thing.

Purple maintained the most comprehensive, aggressive and effective user verification system and processes in the industry

No shitting. Purple, will you explain this?
eligible users, including names like "sdfsdf cicwcicw," "Myname Yourname," and Lot$a Money."

This is not vrs fraud but ip relay fraud

You think so? Why they shut down SIPrelay and file bankruptcy in the first place? Guess your eyes aren't open wide enough to notice. How sad it is for you! Guess you are not scare if they are gone out of business, once all of Relay provider decide to pack their suitcase and move out of business we will have NOTHING, and FCC will have empty hands for us. Can it happen? I can fairly easy willing to bet on it. You bet they won't? Wow!

but VRS companies also make money from gov't fund depending on how many people use it.

Sorenson receives $$$$$$$$$$ because it has a very large number of clients.

You think so? Why they shut down SIPrelay and file bankruptcy in the first place? Guess your eyes aren't open wide enough to notice. How sad it is for you! Guess you are not scare if they are gone out of business, once all of Relay provider decide to pack their suitcase and move out of business we will have NOTHING, and FCC will have empty hands for us. Can it happen? I can fairly easy willing to bet on it. You bet they won't? Wow!

there's always another one. looks like you're willing to pull a blind eye on criminal because you're at their mercy.

that's just sad. now you know why Tousi's very uncomfortable at the thought of Sorenson dominating a market? monopoly is exactly why we're in this situation. to make the matter worse..... they defrauded the government and stole millions of dollars.

again... this is not the end of the world. there's always another one. don't really care if Sorenson is gone because there's ConvoRelay and it's been pretty good for me so far. you don't use SIPRelay anyway. it was a terrible service in the first place anyway and they didn't even bother improving it from day 1 while stealing millions and millions and millions of dollars.

wake up! stop supporting a criminal enterprise.

did I ever mention I supported criminal enterprises? I don't think you look at the right direction that I am looking at. I am looking at investors risk factors. Most business depends on investors, Investors do NOT engage any fraud at all, they just lend money to whatever companies needs and when company gets busted with fraud, who is going to lose the most? It is not the owner of the company, it is the investors that get their ass burned.

Investors are NOT that stupid, they WILL research before invest anything and when they see too many relay provider doing scam, they (Investors) will pull their money away from them (Future Relay providers) thus making it harder for anyone who wants to start a Relay business.

I bet credit scores for relay industry is much lower than average, that is where it hurts the most.

You are comparing to bigger picture like Bernie Madoff, that kind of industry is so huge that they easily overshadow Relay industry, Relay industry is so small that they CAN easily wiped out, as compared as Madoff's industry where there are tons of other industry like Madoff's, that is why it does not affect them, but Relay, it is completely different ballgame.

And you said, there are always other one, do you realize there could be ONLY ONE left and I don't think anyone else willing to jump in IP relay business with revenue of only $1.30 a minute.

And I grew up in Steel City, I have witness how damage to Steel Industry when government and unions have took over them, now 99% of steel business in Pittsburgh is FOREVER gone! Once they had 27 Steel mills when I was born, now only one left, and it is very small company, who now do the steel industry? It is in China! Why China? Less regulations, that is why!

And if Sorenson goes out of business, ConvoRelay CAN be affected and can go out of business. Don't take this lightly!

there's always another one. looks like you're willing to pull a blind eye on criminal because you're at their mercy.

that's just sad. now you know why Tousi's very uncomfortable at the thought of Sorenson dominating a market? monopoly is exactly why we're in this situation. to make the matter worse..... they defrauded the government and stole millions of dollars.

again... this is not the end of the world. there's always another one. don't really care if Sorenson is gone because there's ConvoRelay and it's been pretty good for me so far. you don't use SIPRelay anyway. it was a terrible service in the first place anyway and they didn't even bother improving it from day 1 while stealing millions and millions and millions of dollars.

wake up! stop supporting a criminal enterprise.

did I ever mention I supported criminal enterprises?
your action says so. you want the government to turn a blind eye on it once more.

I don't think you look at the right direction that I am looking at.
excuse me? "the right direction"? your direction leads to greed and monopoly.

I am looking at investors risk factors. Most business depends on investors, Investors do NOT engage any fraud at all, they just lend money to whatever companies needs and when company gets busted with fraud, who is going to lose the most? It is not the owner of the company, it is the investors that get their ass burned.
oh... my... I'm lol'ing big time. you're absolutely so clueless. investors do not engage in any fraud at all? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

oh man... I can't wait to tell my brother about that. they are engaging in fraud and insider information on daily basis because of 2 things - loopholes and lack of federal oversight.

do you know how many of them gets caught? 0.0000000001% of them.
do you know why? because the SEC is basically useless most of time. many former SEC employees are working for companies they've investigated before and SEC boss is/was a former CEO of company that has been investigated by SEC (guess what? check up on current SEC boss's background) :lol:
do you know who goes to jail when a company gets caught? CEO and some. investors walk away free with $$$$$$$ in hidden accounts with no way for government to seize them.

Madoff case was pretty much the biggest one where a lot of investors got their ass burned but that's a Ponzi scheme. this relay fraud was not a ponzi scheme. it was a perpetual fraud.

perhaps you should subscribe to WSJ and you'll see that just about every b/millionaire has been investigated and indicted for fraud-related case or similar.... and that includes Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Donald Trump. the sad part? they get a slap on the wrist... just a piddly fines which is like a parking ticket to them and whatever.

Investors are NOT that stupid, they WILL research before invest anything and when they see too many relay provider doing scam, they (Investors) will pull their money away from them (Future Relay providers) thus making it harder for anyone who wants to start a Relay business.

I bet credit scores for relay industry is much lower than average, that is where it hurts the most.
do you realize that relay industry is not for profit? what do you think why majority of relay companies are created by hearing people? do you think it's out of their kindness? don't be naive.

investors are not stupid. of course not! that's why they're rich and we're not. they don't care about our needs. they don't care about you. they don't care about anything except $$$$$. there's always money in everything and they see easy ka-ching in deaf population because it was so easy to make huge money from it in a very short time with very little federal oversight... with such high $$ per minute from relay service... it was so easy to defraud the government and they can easily get away with it.

You are comparing to bigger picture like Bernie Madoff, that kind of industry is so huge that they easily overshadow Relay industry, Relay industry is so small that they CAN easily wiped out, as compared as Madoff's industry where there are tons of other industry like Madoff's, that is why it does not affect them, but Relay, it is completely different ballgame.
I don't think you realize the consequences of Madoff's fraud. and I don't think you understand what you're talking about. bigger picture? relay industry wiped out? what? what are you talking about? relay industry is not in competition with Verizon, Sprint, etc. relay industry is not profit-driven. relay industry relies on federal funding.

relay industry is not being wiped out by competitions. it's the people who lost interest in keeping the engine running because they're not making big money from it. that's greed.

the similarity between Madoff and relay industry is that it was so easy to get rich because of lack of federal oversight and regulations. . now that they got caught.... the repercussion was serious and very damaging. now there are numbers of changes in laws and reforms... rough start but it's for better good.... just like telecom industry.

And you said, there are always other one, do you realize there could be ONLY ONE left and I don't think anyone else willing to jump in IP relay business with revenue of only $1.30 a minute.

And I grew up in Steel City, I have witness how damage to Steel Industry when government and unions have took over them, now 99% of steel business in Pittsburgh is FOREVER gone! Once they had 27 Steel mills when I was born, now only one left, and it is very small company, who now do the steel industry? It is in China! Why China? Less regulations, that is why!

And if Sorenson goes out of business, ConvoRelay CAN be affected and can go out of business. Don't take this lightly!
you're comparing relay business with steel factories... I see.

this is where your argument is invalid and there's no end to this so we'll just do this - you just believe what you want to believe and we'll leave it at that.

did I ever mention I supported criminal enterprises? I don't think you look at the right direction that I am looking at. I am looking at investors risk factors. Most business depends on investors, Investors do NOT engage any fraud at all, they just lend money to whatever companies needs and when company gets busted with fraud, who is going to lose the most? It is not the owner of the company, it is the investors that get their ass burned.

Most Chinese people suffered environmental health problems because of worst pollution.

I know someone who is a friend is involved in this.. I'm not going to name who. This person is paying a huge fine over this thing.

There are few possible sides of that person that deals with heavy fine, I don't care the name of person BUT, which side? Average customer? Somebody works for the company? Owns the company? Run as manager of the company?

I know someone who is a friend is involved in this.. I'm not going to name who. This person is paying a huge fine over this thing.

same. I've kept my distance. I don't associate myself with criminal.

All I can say is that this person worked for VRS and was involved in the fraud... nothing more.

There are few possible sides of that person that deals with heavy fine, I don't care the name of person BUT, which side? Average customer? Somebody works for the company? Owns the company? Run as manager of the company?

Aha, okay yes, I have seen some who work for VRS DO cheat them, including VRS operator. I didn't know FCC would fine them, I thought they would fine directly the company, and they have to terminate employees who engage cheating the FCC.

I support the idea of giving hefty fine those who work for company and cheat them instead of having VRS pay fine for these scumbags. Ever since I left VRS, they have tighten up policy and regulations on the Terp floor, and other departments as well. Terp are no longer able to bring much of anything into the Relay cube, EVEN basic cell phone, if caught in the terp cube, that terp is automatically terminated. Anything must be left outside of cube and at designated location. They DO randomly monitoring all terp make sure that every calls is legitimate, one bust of cheating, its over for them. That is how serious they are with policy.

All I can say is that this person worked for VRS and was involved in the fraud... nothing more.

Aha, okay yes, I have seen some who work for VRS DO cheat them, including VRS operator. I didn't know FCC would fine them, I thought they would fine directly the company, and they have to terminate employees who engage cheating the FCC.
no man.... that's not how it works. when employees are engaged in criminal activity, they go to jail.

when a company willfully ignored a federal law/regulation on dealing with a matter, for example - disabled people or paycheck, they get fined. you cheat the FCC... you go to jail. FCC has no authority over who gets fired. FCC works with FBI to arrest them.

I support the idea of giving hefty fine those who work for company and cheat them instead of having VRS pay fine for these scumbags. Ever since I left VRS, they have tighten up policy and regulations on the Terp floor. Terp are no longer able to bring much of anything into the Relay cube, EVEN basic cell phone, if caught in the terp cube, that terp is automatically terminated. Anything must be left outside of cube and at designated location. That is how serious they are with policy.
it's not a fine. it's more of a restitution as part of settlement to avoid jail time. I see that most of defendants were sentenced to probations and steep restitutions. I believe the only one who went to jail was the ringleader of this fraud scheme.

Whatever, please do pass on.

it's not a fine. it's more of a restitution as part of settlement to avoid jail time. I see that most of defendants were sentenced to probations and steep restitutions. I believe the only one who went to jail was the ringleader of this fraud scheme.

Back