F**k you, Deaf "Community"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so sad you'll never be a big girl and learn to talk like a normal person". Even got a "It's bad enough you're deaf, and now you'll be a retard, too." TO my child's face!
:shock: THAT is extremely rude. I think a lot of it is b/c we're so conditioned to think healthy=normal, or that healthy = no disabilites.
Why the heck did the person think that not having oral skills equates with mental retardation?

I almost got my son cochlear implants, but me and my ex decided against it because he could not play sports. Now I know why if he got hit with a ball in the head he would have a massive headache.

Completely off topic, but I will go along with it. You sure your son is deaf? Plenty of people with cochlear implants play sports. :confused:

Well, if he regrets it, then I hope he didnt have any more episodes of outburst.

Dunno. Unless he gets approached by an adult Deaf twerp in the effort to make his child feel bad because of her CI then certainly it'll probably be another green light for him to express his feelings again on a more personal level.

Dunno. Unless he gets approached by an adult Deaf twerp in the effort to make his child feel bad because of her CI then certainly it'll probably be another green light for him to express his feelings again on a more personal level.

Then, address THAT twerp not address all of us. If he makes more blanket statements, then he wont get respect at all.

Then, address THAT twerp not address all of us. If he makes more blanket statements, then he wont get respect at all.

But there are many families that this kind of interaction is the only that they get from the Deaf community. Strangers who come up and attack and insult their family. If they never meet a Deaf person who is kind or welcoming, how will they know that it isn't the entire community? For example, read the blogs on Deafread. I would say a big majority say that CI's are bad and that hearing parents are ignorant or abusive. How is a person supposed to know that this is NOT the beliefs of the majority?

Ok ..

My opinion..I think we are beating a dead horse really badly. There are stupid idiots who do stupid stuff in every community. Hold those people accountable for their own actions..not a whole community.

~ SHOW ME DEAF COMMUNITY ~ by Paul J Kiel

" This shows how greedy and selfish hearing people were and still are to this day!"

He is talking about the Milan Conference 130 years ago. He clearly blames all hearing people for it, even TODAY!

This took me about 10 seconds to find, and it was posted today.

Looks to me like a parent that chose a CI got shunned and is now fed up and venting. While it is a bit of a rant there are many interesting points.

Get a kick out of the drama, heh?

And my guess is that that's why he posted this thread here so he can stir up drama. I'm like and to what purpose? The whole community should not be blamed for the actions of a few people in this community.

Maybe it's because some Deaf people aren't doing things right?

Looks to me like a parent that chose a CI got shunned and is now fed up and venting. While it is a bit of a rant there are many interesting points.

"Interesting points"....

Yep. If people took the time to read the whole thread they might see those interesting points.

But there are many families that this kind of interaction is the only that they get from the Deaf community. Strangers who come up and attack and insult their family. If they never meet a Deaf person who is kind or welcoming, how will they know that it isn't the entire community? For example, read the blogs on Deafread. I would say a big majority say that CI's are bad and that hearing parents are ignorant or abusive. How is a person supposed to know that this is NOT the beliefs of the majority?

first of all, The only reason they don't get attack by their own kind because ..... well because they are their own kind.

Second, Some people expect deaf people to accept their view on deafness that is totally unacceptable. Sure there will be deaf who don't bother educating them, but if these hearing want to stereotype deaf people ,because of a few horrible deaf person, without trying to understand where deaf community are coming from, then they are showing racist-type attitude.

BTW, you know very well why some deaf people are against CI. They just don't want people to view that deaf is bad hearing is the only way to survive. Does it mean they have the rights to tell their children horrible things? No. But these deaf do have the rights to express how they feel about CI and what it does to their deaf identity

Last edited:
I was kind of sad at first when I read it then I though like LOL because the person makes deafness sound like such a freakishly terrible thing.
Little world of shame and exclusion? Not even close! Since when were cochlear implants cosmetic? I don't really see what's so bad about cosmetic surgery. I see it kind of like clothes and make up and learning. We were born, most likely, onto a towel or something, and born ignorant. So we choose to wear clothes to make us look nicer and learn so we can be smarter. So they had their kid get cochlear implants to hear better. Hearing community...Unibrow community...Cheap-violin-playing community...whatever lol! It's not so bad to call a group of people a community. Car, automobile, vehicle, motorcycle, SUV, convertible...it's not like synonyms don't exist. A lot of deaf people I know can talk and read and write. It's not like we're stupid...I'm kind of curious as to what the daughter would think if she read this.

well my parents tried their best when they raised me but i am so glad they didnt put CI on meh, or i wouldve destory it already :lol: but i understand how they feel and i also understand how deaf felt too. but hey, they doin what they believe or know what to do for their kid.

Yes, deaf people have every right to express their opinions and feelings about CIs.

Too bad that this thread keeps going back to the wrongdoings of Deaf people instead of focusing on what the hearing person did wrong.

Historically, Deaf people have always been in the wrong or have to accept hearing people's wrongdoings.

Sad

first of all, The only reason they don't get attack by their own kind because ..... well because they are their own kind.

Second, Some people expect deaf people to accept their view on deafness that is totally unacceptable. Sure there will be deaf who don't bother educating them, but if these hearing want to stereotype deaf people ,because of a few horrible deaf person, without trying to understand where deaf community are coming from, then they are showing racist-type attitude.

BTW, you know very well why some deaf people are against CI. They just don't want people to view that deaf is bad hearing is the only way to survive. Does it mean they have the rights to tell their children horrible things? No. But these deaf do have the rights to express how they feel about CI and what it does to their deaf identity

There were and are instances of Deaf on Deaf attacks. There was even a documentary film about it about a little Deaf girl who wanted CI.

Wirelessly posted

A said:

Second, Some people expect deaf people to accept their view on deafness that is totally unacceptable. Sure there will be deaf who don't bother educating them, but if these hearing want to stereotype deaf people ,because of a few horrible deaf person, without trying to understand where deaf community are coming from, then they are showing ra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back