F**k you, Deaf "Community"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone wants to attack ME - call me fat, ugly, stupid, whatever - that's fine. I'm a big girl and can take it. However, when they turn on my kids, sometimes addressing them directly, and say that I don't love them and want them to be retarded, I have a problem with that. I'll buck up and turn the other cheek UNTIL they involve my kids. When a person implies that I am irreparably harming my child by the choices I've made regarding her hearing loss just shows what a petty, uneducated waste of skin they are. They don't have to agree with me, but they better have enough sense to disagree politely and leave my kids out of it.

I have had this happen, people squat down to my child and tell/sign to them that "Mommy must not love you if she won't fix your ears", "If mommy would stop flapping her hands and talk to you, you'd be fine" and "It's so sad you'll never be a big girl and learn to talk like a normal person". Even got a "It's bad enough you're deaf, and now you'll be a retard, too." TO my child's face! Thankfully, my deaf child is oblivious, but my hearing child hears every word of it. We protect our children from child bullies, but we're not allowed to feel bad when an adult does it?

On that matter, why shouldn't we parents/adults feel bad when we're attacked by someone in this way? Just because you've gotten over it, doesn't mean we have.Most of us are new to the d/Deaf culture war. I've only been at it for 3 years while you've been dealing with it since you were little. Does coming of age mean we can't be bullied anymore or just feel bad about it? It only compounds by EONS when your child is brought into the equation.

:ty: I completely agree.

Oh, and if someone did that to my child, they might not ever walk away...

If someone wants to attack ME - call me fat, ugly, stupid, whatever - that's fine. I'm a big girl and can take it. However, when they turn on my kids, sometimes addressing them directly, and say that I don't love them and want them to be retarded, I have a problem with that. I'll buck up and turn the other cheek UNTIL they involve my kids. When a person implies that I am irreparably harming my child by the choices I've made regarding her hearing loss just shows what a petty, uneducated waste of skin they are. They don't have to agree with me, but they better have enough sense to disagree politely and leave my kids out of it.

I have had this happen, people squat down to my child and tell/sign to them that "Mommy must not love you if she won't fix your ears", "If mommy would stop flapping her hands and talk to you, you'd be fine" and "It's so sad you'll never be a big girl and learn to talk like a normal person". Even got a "It's bad enough you're deaf, and now you'll be a retard, too." TO my child's face! Thankfully, my deaf child is oblivious, but my hearing child hears every word of it. We protect our children from child bullies, but we're not allowed to feel bad when an adult does it?

On that matter, why shouldn't we parents/adults feel bad when we're attacked by someone in this way? Just because you've gotten over it, doesn't mean we have.Most of us are new to the d/Deaf culture war. I've only been at it for 3 years while you've been dealing with it since you were little. Does coming of age mean we can't be bullied anymore or just feel bad about it? It only compounds by EONS when your child is brought into the equation.

I feel you about this one. some of these comments what you said is true. But Well, I still get attacks by hearing people or deaf people either that way too.

You know i have hearing kids. Lot of other hearing people feel sorry for my kids or me. That is something so new to me that i have been dealing with this situation. I wonder why are hearing people act like this toward to my kids or us. I wonder if I married hearing husband, will it make any difference in this situation. i dunno.
again, i feel you about it. That is why I am tired of it and just trying to move on but i did not say that it's over for me.

I feel you about this one. some of these comments what you said is true. But Well, I still get attacks by hearing people or deaf people either that way too.

You know i have hearing kids. Lot of other hearing people feel sorry for my kids or me. That is something so new to me that i have been dealing with this situation. I wonder why are hearing people act like this toward to my kids or us. I wonder if I married hearing husband, will it make any difference in this situation. i dunno.
again, i feel you about it. That is why I am tired of it and just trying to move on but i did not say that it's over for me.

Remmy RockinRobin's thread about the hearing neighbor telling her son that she felt sorry for him because his mother was deaf? Did RockinRobin create a thread saying "F**ck you, hearing community"? No, she vented about THAT person who was being discriminatory and negative toward her kids about her son.

People keep forgetting that..the guy blamed a whole community for the actions of a few. He should have addressed his blog or public comments to those who were cruel to him and his family.

Remmy RockinRobin's thread about the hearing neighbor telling her son that she felt sorry for him because his mother was deaf? Did RockinRobin create a thread saying "F**ck you, hearing community"? No, she vented about THAT person who was being discriminatory and negative toward her kids about her son.

People keep forgetting that..the guy blamed a whole community for the actions of a few. He should have addressed his blog or public comments to those who were cruel to him and his family.

People forget that he already regretted it publicly.

People forget that he already regretted it publicly.

wondering why do you keep emphasizing on it. Do you realize that by doing that, it invalidated his original post? There's nothing "interesting" about it since he has retracted it and apologized for it.

I already explained. It's the fascinating responses and replies in that thread.

Not the drama, the responses, their perceptions, etc...all from mostly a hearing viewpoint.

Not the drama, the responses, their perceptions, etc...all from mostly a hearing viewpoint.

and you brough it to a deaf forum for........?

both views....

Ok ..

My opinion..I think we are beating a dead horse really badly. There are stupid idiots who do stupid stuff in every community. Hold those people accountable for their own actions..not a whole community.

And just as important, recognize those who acknowledge publicly their errors.

And just as important, recognize those who acknowledge publicly their errors.

So, was that the goal...for us to give him a reward and bow down to his feet?

Seriously, I am very lost to what purpose this will serve? Someone stated that it sounds like he has a history of anger management problems so he may need to get help for it.

I almost got my son cochlear implants, but me and my ex decided against it because he could not play sports. Now I know why if he got hit with a ball in the head he would have a massive headache.

So, was that the goal...for us to give him a reward and bow down to his feet?

Seriously, I am very lost to what purpose this will serve? Someone stated that it sounds like he has a history of anger management problems so he may need to get help for it.

Speculation, although he did regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back